Player Discussion Fabian Lysell

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Why is that? I think he would be perfectly fine as the 13th F. Spent most of last year in the NHL.

5'10 AHLer who did not produce on the lesser Minnesota NHL roster.

Another example of Bruins can do better. Utah is a team he might be an NHLer, not Boston. Good for Providence he wants to play there.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
5'10 AHLer who did not produce on the lesser Minnesota NHL roster.

Another example of Bruins can do better. Utah is a team he might be an NHLer, not Boston. Good for Providence he wants to play there.

Once again, someone has to sit in the pressbox. Better Letteri than one of the younger guys like Lysell.

I'd rather the 13th F be Tufte or Viel or Koepke.

But there is a reason those guys spent most of last year in the minors while Letteri was in the NHL. I feel that is a very realistic take on the situation.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Once again, someone has to sit in the pressbox. Better Letteri than one of the younger guys like Lysell.

I'd rather the 13th F be Tufte or Viel or Koepke.

But there is a reason those guys spent most of last year in the minors while Letteri was in the NHL. I feel that is a very realistic take on the situation.
Could also be Kastelic or Jones if Brazeau wins 4RW. Or even Brazeau - if it's a fourth line guy you'll rotate in it's different as 13F versus a top 9 guy like Merkulov.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Samsonov was slick. I was at Ristuccia for his first day as a rookie at Bruins camp (along with Joe Thornton). I saw Samsonov literally hop sideways in mid-stride while carrying the puck. He never lost control of the puck and kept moving. I had never seen a move like that.
I can picture the move. I'm sure it was full speed too. I loved watching him play. That wrist injury ruined him. He's just a huge "what could have been" story.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
He did. On Hagg's podcast.

The problem is that Haggs talks so much and rarely gives his guests a chance to speak that if one was listening, they might have missed Divver doing an about face.
How true, Haggs gives me the impression at times he invented the game, I enjoy listening to Divver and Mick Colago, Haggs should let them talk more.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Well they don't want one of the young guys (Poitras, Lysell, Merkulov) sitting upstairs in the pressbox. Being the extra F doesn't mean he's (Letteri) the 13th best F in the organization.

As it stands you have likely 11 forwards with an inside track (Marchand, Pasta, Lindholm, Coyle, Frederic, Zacha, Geekie, Jones, Brazeau, Beecher, Kastelic). They will need to carry at least 2 more F, possibly 3 at times.

There is absolutely a decent chance one of Letteri, Tufte, Koepke, Viel, Brown, etc. will break camp as the spare (13th F). Doesn't mean any of them are the 13th best F. It just means that they'd rather have a older player spending his nights upstairs than they would one of the the younger guys.

Reality is, there is a pretty good chance they only have one of Poitras/Lysell/Merkulov on the roster when the season starts. So say it's only one of them, add that to the other 11, well someone has to be the 13th F. Of that group mentioned above, Letteri may just be the best player for that role in the early going. It's not the player I'd want, but fact is out of that group, Letteri played the most games in the NHL last year and that matters.

I believe jones or brazeau will be the 13th forward. With Viel, koepke, merkulov rounding out that group. Then McLaughlin/lettieri.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Could also be Kastelic or Jones if Brazeau wins 4RW. Or even Brazeau - if it's a fourth line guy you'll rotate in it's different as 13F versus a top 9 guy like Merkulov.

For that to happen you need at least 2 of Lysell/Poitras/Merkulov to make the team and while that is possible, it is also very well possible that only one of them will break camp.

If it's only one, then it will fall to one of the older guys to be the extra F. I think Letteri has the inside track over Tufte/Viel/etc. based on his recent NHL experience.

I believe jones or brazeau will be the 13th forward. With Viel, koepke, merkulov rounding out that group. Then McLaughlin/lettieri.

Which means both Lysell and Poitras are in the line-up.

If either are in Providence, Letteri is likely ahead of Viel/Koepke/Tufte. I'd rather one of those 3 like yourself, but I'm not discounting Letteri after spending most of last year in the show while the other 3 rode a bus.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
For that to happen you need at least 2 of Lysell/Poitras/Merkulov to make the team and while that is possible, it is also very well possible that only one of them will break camp.

If it's only one, then it will fall to one of the older guys to be the extra F. I think Letteri has the inside track over Tufte/Viel/etc. based on his recent NHL experience.

Which means both Lysell and Poitras are in the line-up.

If either are in Providence, Letteri is likely ahead of Viel/Koepke/Tufte. I'd rather one of those 3 like yourself, but I'm not discounting Letteri after spending most of last year in the show while the other 3 rode a bus.

I have Poitras in the lineup for sure. He won it outright last year so it’s his spot to lose at this point.

Lysell in my opinion has done more than enough at the AHL level to warrant a shot in the NHL this year.

Considering how weak our RWs are after pastrnak I’m fairly confident lysell will lock down a spot.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
im just super allergic to any player that has even a whiff of selfishness attached to him

i positioned my view as one without much other than gut feel - that's all it is

id love to be proven wrong

Lysell’s NHL camp ends

The B’s also assigned two players directly to Providence camp: Fabian Lysell and Mike Callahan.

(Neither of those players requires waivers, so they could be sent right to Providence.)

It might be a bit harsh to call Lysell’s training camp a disappointment; after all, he’s still just 20 years old and needs more time to get up the NHL speed.

However, many hoped he’d make more of a push for an NHL spot, similar to what Matt Poitras is doing.

Lysell wasn’t bad, but he didn’t really make Jim Montgomery’s decision a tough one.

He had a strong first season in Providence last year, recording 37 points in 54 games.

Ideally, he continues his upward trajectory and we see him as a call-up sometime in the near future.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also. 9 forwards who played in Providence last season got some time with the big club, Lysell was not one of them.

Reactions: NeelyDan

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I have Poitras in the lineup for sure. He won it outright last year so it’s his spot to lose at this point.

Lysell in my opinion has done more than enough at the AHL level to warrant a shot in the NHL this year.

Considering how weak our RWs are after pastrnak I’m fairly confident lysell will lock down a spot.

I would prefer that they can find room to dress Poitras and Lysell this coming season. My ideal 13 has both of them.

I think Poitras has a better chance than Lysell, because he did play in the NHL last year. But I don't see it as his spot to lose either. While I'm not saying he didn't deserve it, but Poitras benefitted from the Bruins having bigger needs at center ice than they do coming into this season. Also benefitted from not being old enough for the AHL. A year later the situation is different.

However, if someone asked me to put money down on what I think will happen (not what I want to happen), my best guess is

A) Only one of Poitras or Lysell break camp.

B) Letteri will get chosen as the 13th F over Tufte/Viel/Koepke/etc.

A has to happen for B to occur.

Reactions: Caper Bruins fan

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Ok so this prospect rankings I can pay attention to? I lose track. I read these guys are awful when the Bruins picks are "too low" or absent completely from these type lists, or their organizational prospect ranking is low.
You pay attention to whichever rankings you want. Or don't.

My point was that Wheeler's writeup was based on seeing Lysell play. He's got him at #88, which isn't some great win for Lysell, the Bruins or Bruins fans, but his opinion is at least based on something tangible. He doesn't have Letourneau ranked, but nobody not employed as a scout has even seen him, aside from a few Youtube vids and in person at the Dev Camp (nobody reported seeing Wheeler, Pronman, et al.), so that's actually more fair than ranking him using ignorance as its basis.

And I'm not entirely convinced Wheeler's list is all that great, as I've only read a handful of his writeups from it. The list has a North American - European repetition to it, to the point where I started counting how many in a row followed the pattern and eventually got sick of it somewhere in the 60s.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
You pay attention to whichever rankings you want. Or don't.

My point was that Wheeler's writeup was based on seeing Lysell play. He's got him at #88, which isn't some great win for Lysell, the Bruins or Bruins fans, but his opinion is at least based on something tangible. He doesn't have Letourneau ranked, but nobody not employed as a scout has even seen him, aside from a few Youtube vids and in person at the Dev Camp (nobody reported seeing Wheeler, Pronman, et al.), so that's actually more fair than ranking him using ignorance as its basis.

And I'm not entirely convinced Wheeler's list is all that great, as I've only read a handful of his writeups from it. The list has a North American - European repetition to it, to the point where I started counting how many in a row followed the pattern and eventually got sick of it somewhere in the 60s.
Lol

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I don't get how one doesn't get that

it's because I'm a fan of the Bruins that I don't wanna see him with the team - where there's selfish smoke, there's fire

what I don't get is why some people personalize a comment like this, lol

it's okay for people to feel differently about things my loves
It's ok to have different opinions, I just don't understand how someone can be completely firm on one of their best prospect to not make their favorite big league team especially as top six forward that we haven't developed since Debrusk...it doesn't make sense to me.

I think the claim about Lysell being "selfish" is mostly fabricated. It's much more of an individualistic part of his game he is still working on from being the only point of offense on his garbage team in the WHL.

He's actually a terrific playmaker and makes players around him better, however, I don't think its completely unhealthy to have an abundance of confidence in yourself to take on defenders and have a scoring mentality

The last thing we need is to coach him into something he's not. We just have to fine-tune it.

"there’s a little too much one-and-done to his games when he flies into the zone and takes long shots in transition or overhandles the puck"

that is a terrible, terrible vibe for a player - especially a player in a systems-heavy club like the Bruins
This was a five paragraph summary of all the really good things Lysell does and you picked out one sentence about part of his game that obviously needs to be worked on. The kid is 21, he's not a finished product.

This all just seems like a wild overreaction to a really talented prospect when we should be wishing for his success but you do you

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
im just super allergic to any player that has even a whiff of selfishness attached to him

70 percent of points last season were assists

He’s not even close to be selfish - he needs to shoot more

This selfish stuff is fake news

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario

That would be awesome

It's ok to have different opinions, I just don't understand how someone can be completely firm on one of their best prospect to not make their favorite big league team especially as top six forward that we haven't developed since Debrusk...it doesn't make sense to me.

I think the claim about Lysell being "selfish" is mostly fabricated. It's much more of an individualistic part of his game he is still working on from being the only point of offense on his garbage team in the WHL.

He's actually a terrific playmaker and makes players around him better, however, I don't think its completely unhealthy to have an abundance of confidence in yourself to take on defenders and have a scoring mentality

The last thing we need is to coach him into something he's not. We just have to fine-tune it.

This was a five paragraph summary of all the really good things Lysell does and you picked out one sentence about part of his game that obviously needs to be worked on. The kid is 21, he's not a finished product.

This all just seems like a wild overreaction to a really talented prospect when we should be wishing for his success but you do you
I SHALL DO ME CELLYHARD

• Haha
Reactions: CellyHard

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto

Lysell’s NHL camp ends

The B’s also assigned two players directly to Providence camp: Fabian Lysell and Mike Callahan.

(Neither of those players requires waivers, so they could be sent right to Providence.)

It might be a bit harsh to call Lysell’s training camp a disappointment; after all, he’s still just 20 years old and needs more time to get up the NHL speed.

However, many hoped he’d make more of a push for an NHL spot, similar to what Matt Poitras is doing.

Lysell wasn’t bad, but he didn’t really make Jim Montgomery’s decision a tough one.

He had a strong first season in Providence last year, recording 37 points in 54 games.

Ideally, he continues his upward trajectory and we see him as a call-up sometime in the near future.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also. 9 forwards who played in Providence last season got some time with the big club, Lysell was not one of them.
Yeah, but there was also like zero injuries to the top 6/top 9 last year.
Why call him up to play him on the 4th line for 5minutes. That won't help Lysell at all.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
He’s exactly what they need

A quick skilled young RW on ELC who is a huge fan of the Beatles and wants to own a huge farm in the country where all the shelter dogs and cats can live happily ever after

I been waiting my entire life for a player like this

#lysellpower
I hope he earns a spot, but I'd like first crack in that middle 6 RW spot to be Brazeau. He looked good playing with skilled players, if he falters Lysell gets every chance possible to take that spot from him.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
He’s exactly what they need

A quick skilled young RW on ELC who is a huge fan of the Beatles and wants to own a huge farm in the country where all the shelter dogs and cats can live happily ever after

I been waiting my entire life for a player like this

#lysellpower

He sounds like a cleaning product tbh

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Lysell is short and stocky?

Only saw him play once in Providence last season but he didn't remind me of a young Samsonov at all. Samsonov was a jitterbug; moves so quick that at times he didn't realize he already had the opponent beat on move 2 while he was making move 4. He was a big-time talent. NHL ready as a teenager. Didn't see his kind of motor in Lysell. To be fair, a weeknight game in Providence before friends and family doesn't always bring out the best in some players.

I would absolutely call Lysell short and stocky. He has a strong base, great balance, pretty broad for his height.

I do agree there are certainly differences between the way Samsonov and Lysell play. Samsonov was more dynamic in his skating and his skill. But I find more similarities than differences. I am hopeful that Lysell can be coached to be more of a two way player even at the expense of some offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad