Confirmed Signing with Link: F Vitaly Kravtsov signs 2 year deal with Traktor Chelyabinsk in the KHL

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
There will be a few more Canuck Euro's going.
Tocchet "right way to play" is not conducive to many of the "skill" guys.
He even benched Kuzmenko for board battles.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Since the Rangers couldn't develop a cold it falls on them. Lafreniere and Kakko were considered top 2 in their draft by almost everyone. When all prospects under achieve it is obviuosly coaches or development staff.
Excuses -- they develop some players into the best in the world. Henrik Lundqvist, Shesterkin, Kreider, et al.

The player just sucks and people who said he wouldn't suck should to own up to that.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
After taxes probably comes out even. Plus plays close to home.

When a kid feel entitled to not go to the A to work on his craft since he's not good enough to outscore his mistakes, probably not going to work out.

That's the hard thing to judge about a kid. Most European born players view the AHL as a step down from their pro leagues, so don't want to go there. But, the A uses the same sized rinks so good to help the players transition to the smaller ice surface.
There is an opinion from some Europeans who do believe the SHL or KHL are better spots for them over playing in the AHL, but that likely has more to do with making around the same, while playing closer to home.

I know a lot of our pro KHL friends on these boards don’t wanna hear it, but the league isn’t what it was 10-12 years ago, and that was before the little exodus we seen last year. You just can’t be taken too seriously when Steven Kampfer is one of the best dmen in the league a year ago. Who returned, got himself a two-way NHL contract, but couldn’t make a team needing dmen, then ends up in an AHL trade late in the season after a pretty mediocre campaign..

The AHL is just not the dream players come over for. We’ve likely seen the end of Kravtsov in North America.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
There is an opinion from some Europeans who do believe the SHL or KHL are better spots for them over playing in the AHL, but that likely has more to do with making around the same, while playing closer to home.

I know a lot of our pro KHL friends on these boards don’t wanna hear it, but the league isn’t what it was 10-12 years ago, and that was before the little exodus we seen last year. You just can’t be taken too seriously when Steven Kampfer is one of the best dmen in the league a year ago. Who returned, got himself a two-way NHL contract, but couldn’t make a team needing dmen, then ends up in an AHL trade late in the season after a pretty mediocre campaign..

The AHL is just not the dream players come over for. We’ve likely seen the end of Kravtsov in North America.
Wouldn’t that mean you can’t take any European leagues seriously?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Never forget in 2019 Craig Button ranked Kravtsov and Denisenko the #1 and #2 prospects in the NHL, with Makar at #3 :laugh:

I remember it vividly. I was like, "Huh...really?" because I was never really particularly high on the guy. He did make a lot of improvements defensively during his various "stints" in the KHL and I had him pegged as a 30-40 two-way guy if it all panned out. I didn't see the dynamic offensive traits that had some people projecting him out at a point per game.

In any event it's obviously a disappointing (likely) end to his NHL career. Normally I wish everyone well when they move on but he seems like kind of a turd, so, whatever.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
KHL player is specifically a KHL player. Nothing even screamed "top prospect" with this dude also

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Was really intrigued with his size when i saw him skate for the Canucks.

Then i saw he has a motor of a beer leaguer on Sunday afternoon skate.

Was hoping he would have the desire to work on his craft and spend some time in Abbotsford next season as they are expected to ice a young , competitve team. but Alas, Kravstov just doesnt have it in him.

see Kirill Petrov

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Which in itself is kind of dumb. If you actually come over and take your development seriously you can end up making far more in a year in the NHL than you would in the KHL. That's without even being a star.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Which in itself is kind of dumb. If you actually come over and take your development seriously you can end up making far more in a year in the NHL than you would in the KHL. That's without even being a star.

You can take your development seriously while playing in Europe. You don't need the AHL for that.

As for Kravtsov, it doesn't matter where he plays (KHL/AHL), he's not going to develop until he cares to add intensity to his game.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Nov 1, 2011
They aren't really close to the 50 contract limit, so there's really no reason not to.

He wouldn’t sign if qualified, so wouldn’t count towards the limit.

I’m just questioning whether it lets them hold his rights as an RFA (may be valuable if his development goes well in the KHL).

Krav is 23, so will still have two years of UFA left after his two year KHL contract is up (he believe, looking for clarification).

Reactions: BlackFrancis

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I’m just questioning whether it lets them hold his rights as an RFA (may be valuable if his development goes well in the KHL).

Krav is 23, so will still have two years of UFA left after his two year KHL contract is up (he believe, looking for clarification).
If they qualify him they'll hold his rights (if he stays in the KHL) until he's 27. And you're right, it wouldn't count towards the 50 contract limit, but it would count on the 90 player reserve list. No one is ever close to 90 though so that's no big deal.

It wouldn't hurt to qualify him and hold onto his rights. Not much to lose. It seems exceedingly unlikely that he'd come back, though. If he does well in the KHL (which he should, given that he did before when he was younger) it doesn't seem likely he'd want to come back. He just doesn't seem interested in having to work for a spot here.

The Rangers had a similar situation with Nicklas Jensen, coincidentally acquired from Vancouver, where he didn't want to play in the AHL again and wanted a guaranteed spot, so he refused to sign his QO and went to the KHL. He ended up being an excellent KHL player and one of Denmark's top skaters. Despite saying that he did want to come back when he originally left, he never came back to North America. Feels like Kravtsov is destined for the same path.

Last edited:

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Never forget in 2019 Craig Button ranked Kravtsov and Denisenko the #1 and #2 prospects in the NHL, with Makar at #3 :laugh:

Man that list didnt age well

Reactions: missionAvs

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Ah, I never even considered whether it would count towards the 50 limit. Thank you for that.

As far as keeping his rights, that was my initial thought as well in offering him the QO. But he's got 64 NHL games, appears to have three professional NA seasons (1 AHL, 2 NHL) and will be 25 in two years when his KHL contract runs out, so I think he'll be a Group 6 UFA if he desires to return. If that's the case, it's not worth the Canucks' time.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
The hype 4 years ago from this guy was insane. To be fair to some ranger fans they really had nothing in the cupboard back then

Joel Farabee would look good in Rangers blue. He was the guy I wanted in 18 with that 9th overall pick.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
100% but they’re dreaming of playing at MSG, not Hartford.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
This actually works out pretty well for the Canucks if he is coming back in 2 years.

He is waiver eligible and there are teams bad enough (Arizona/Chicago) that likely would have claimed him. Canucks have an influx of wingers without any trades already (mikheyev/Kuzmenko/boeser/garland/beauviller/hoglander/Podkolzin/Joshua/di gisueppe/studnicka). He was only beating out studnicka so that would have put him 10th on the depth chart.

Hopefully he works hard and comes back in 2 years when there’s room for him to get another look.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad