F Rodion Amirov (2020, 15th, TOR) - tragically passed away due to brain tumor 8/14/23

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
How were we supposed to know? He was playing, in and out, and the coach quoted something like "i don't see a spot for him"..
Fairly obvious signs were all there as pointed out by other posters:

Salavat's coach has said from the beginning that he's hesitant to play Amirov because injury recovery is slow. His commment "I don't see a spot for him in the lineup" wasn't made in a vacuum.

Other than the last game against Riga, all the games he has missed were obviously health/conditioning related. And even that last one might as well be, as there are more and more signs he's not completely healthy.

I think it's obvious by now he's not fully healthy. Amirov has been avoiding physicality like the plague since his return. He wasn't like this pre-injury this year.

Something isn't right, whatever it is. During this recent break all the young guys on Salavat were sent to the VHL for playing time, but not Amirov.

It was just hard to listen to I suppose when the "Russia bad, Ufa bad, coach bad" narrative is so much more fun. Of course, no one knew the extent of it but like Zine put it, it was obvious "something isn't right, whatever it is".

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Fairly obvious signs were all there as pointed out by other posters:

It was just hard to listen to I suppose when the "Russia bad, Ufa bad, coach bad" narrative is so much more fun. Of course, no one knew the extent of it but like Zine put it, it was obvious "something isn't right, whatever it is".

I don't think that though, I think any and every situation is fluid irregardless of what's happened in the past. My issue was that when he was deemed healthy he wasn't playing. That plus the coaches comments made me believe they were f***ing with development and that I have no time for. I'm glad to see they werent doing that, but this is obviously not what anyone expected.

With him still working out and skating though it sounds like he's doing good. I'm just happy to see he's getting help and hope he recovers and lives a long, healthy life.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Dunking on a poster for not correctly assessing Amirovs health in the wake of a tumour, very cool and well adjusted thing to do!

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Why is this still an issue with some of you people?
Salavat's coach never once said he was fully healthy. He always said his injury recovery was very slow and, when pressed on it, said he was suffering from concussion related symptoms. I've posted this several times.

But, of course, people ignored it because it ran counter to the "evil KHL is dicking around our prospect because he's NHL bound!" conspiracy theory nonsense.

Good heavens. Amirov would be shaking his head at some of the crap written about his team by Toronto fans; a team who obviously put his health interests first.
Maybe next time people will listen to reason and/or people who know the KHL instead of resorting to agendas predicated on stereotypes. That's just not cool for anybody.

Anyways best wishes to Amirov.

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I don't think that though, I think any and every situation is fluid irregardless of what's happened in the past. My issue was that when he was deemed healthy he wasn't playing. That plus the coaches comments made me believe they were f***ing with development and that I have no time for. I'm glad to see they werent doing that, but this is obviously not what anyone expected.

With him still working out and skating though it sounds like he's doing good. I'm just happy to see he's getting help and hope he recovers and lives a long, healthy life.

the problem was he was never deemed 100% healthy at all this season. The coaching staff's comments demonstrated there was something else going on with him. Many people mentioned that and you just replied saying "nope he's healthy". The article clearly outlines that even in his return to action he was not 100% and even more symptoms appeared.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Dunking on a poster for not correctly assessing Amirovs health in the wake of a tumour, very cool and well adjusted thing to do!

I don't think he's dunking on him, but making it clear that there is this unwarranted narrative out there that the KHL is actively trying to ruin players development and that was perpetuated by the poster. When in reality 99% of the time we have no idea whats actually happening behind the scenes it's not always a conspiracy or a negative outcome happening in the background in Russia.

Reactions: Zine

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Just as cool as insisting the player is completely healthy and ignoring multiple red flags clearly telling he's not.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Oh man that's rough.
Hopefully the doctors can take care of it and Rodion can continue without missing too much.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Just as cool as insisting the player is completely healthy and ignoring multiple red flags clearly telling he's not.

Taking the first opportunity for a reflexive gotcha on the back of a serious diagnosis nonetheless remains pretty tacky.

Non-concussive symptoms is worrying. You pray it's a mass effect and nothing else. Very scary to deal with at such a young age. It's a good thing he's in Russia where he can have the support of his family and friends.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Really hope it is not cancerous as that is a helluva battle. Hopefully, he can make a full recovery.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He is currently doing chemo. So that would logically lead to the assumption it is cancerous unfortunately.
Didn't see that. Wish him the best of luck. Not even worried about his NHL career at this point, just hope he can live a long and healthy life. That's absolutely brutal. It's a very tough disease.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad