F Macklin Celebrini - Boston University Terriers, NCAA (2024, 1st, SJS)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He didn't grow up in San Jose. Golden State hired his dad as their director of sports medicine and performance in 2018. He spent 1 season there playing with the San Jose Jr. Sharks before moving on to Shattuck.

Last edited:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Agreed. Not even remotely true. He played from novice to U13 at North Shore Winter Club in North Vancouver. Not sure about this summer, but the past few summers he was on the ice at NSWC with other NSWC alum Connor Bedard and Kent Johnson regularly. His little brother JJ is also apparently quite the player.
Yeah, I mean he grew up playing with/against the likes of Jordan, Tomas, Dryden (fun story there), William, Diego, Carson etc etc.

It may be that Macklin would have just naturally developed anywhere, but again I don't see how the Bay Area was much of a factor.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
First USHL game, already off the mark with the PP game winner. He had SEVEN shots on goal. Chicago is gonna be talented again (Moldenhauer had a goal as well) and Celebrini sure looks like he's going to pick up where Fantilli left off.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
First USHL game, already off the mark with the PP game winner. He had SEVEN shots on goal. Chicago is gonna be talented again (Moldenhauer had a goal as well) and Celebrini sure looks like he's going to pick up where Fantilli left off.

I was halfway through that video realizing Mark Citron was on the call, and instantly thought about what he’s going to nickname him.

He didn’t fail to deliver, Easy Mack.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Woulda been so cool to have seen him go the WHL route with Seattle. Man it's crazy with the insane talent that Seattle currently has that they could have potentially still added Celebrini AND Brad Lambert.

Reactions: Sagikev

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Mack now has 9 goals and 14 points in 9 games. Chicago is once again a strong roster but not quite as strong as last year (1.50 P/GP and 4.9 Goals/GP last year versus 1.20 P/GP and 4.5 Goals/GP this year).

This puts Mack's PPG at 1.55 (first on the team, slightly above Perron and Moldenhauser) - last year Fantilli had 1.37 PPG to lead the team. Mack is doing this while a full 7 months younger than Fantilli (was last year). The last true 16 year-old to put up numbers even close to this in the USHL (non-USNTDP) was Andrei Svechnikov who had a 1.21 PPG rate at 16 for Muskegon 6 years ago, There's nobody else even in the same zip code in the last decade+.

This just continues his trend of amazing production...last year with SSM's 18U prep team Mack put up crazy numbers...here's a ranking of top 15 year-old prep season at SSM (PPG):
1. Sidney Crosby - 2.84
2. Mack Celebrini - 2.13 PPG
3. Jonathan Toews - 1.68 PPG
4. Clayton Keller - 1.50 PPG
5. Cole Esierman - 1.50 PPG

All this to say - (and sorry for going all "George" with the stats - but they are truly pretty special) - this kid probably needs a lot more hype soon.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I see a little current Sidney Crosby in his game. Patrice Bergeron could be another comparison.

He's not someone that makes a lot of visibly exciting plays, but he seems to have an impact both ways on every shift. His skating could use a little work, but I actually thought he was smaller than his listing. If he's 6'0 with that skating, it's enough to be a very good NHL'er.

I prefer Catton to him as of now and maybe a few others, but likely he'll be a top 5 pick in 2024.

G2P

Apr 11, 2022
Chicago, IL
Headed to a Steel game tonight. Will post pictures and some thoughts.

Always like when someone comes through the area. Last I remember would be Galchenyuk(?)

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
I see a little current Sidney Crosby in his game. Patrice Bergeron could be another comparison.

He's not someone that makes a lot of visibly exciting plays, but he seems to have an impact both ways on every shift. His skating could use a little work, but I actually thought he was smaller than his listing. If he's 6'0 with that skating, it's enough to be a very good NHL'er.

I prefer Catton to him as of now and maybe a few others, but likely he'll be a top 5 pick in 2024.
This is an interesting point because NHL coaches can be notoriously slow to play a young player they don't "trust", and if this guy can make an impact on and off the scoresheet without putting his team at serious risk he's going to earn a coach's trust early on IMO.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Mack now has 9 goals and 14 points in 9 games. Chicago is once again a strong roster but not quite as strong as last year (1.50 P/GP and 4.9 Goals/GP last year versus 1.20 P/GP and 4.5 Goals/GP this year).

This puts Mack's PPG at 1.55 (first on the team, slightly above Perron and Moldenhauser) - last year Fantilli had 1.37 PPG to lead the team. Mack is doing this while a full 7 months younger than Fantilli (was last year). The last true 16 year-old to put up numbers even close to this in the USHL (non-USNTDP) was Andrei Svechnikov who had a 1.21 PPG rate at 16 for Muskegon 6 years ago, There's nobody else even in the same zip code in the last decade+.

This just continues his trend of amazing production...last year with SSM's 18U prep team Mack put up crazy numbers...here's a ranking of top 15 year-old prep season at SSM (PPG):
1. Sidney Crosby - 2.84
2. Mack Celebrini - 2.13 PPG
3. Jonathan Toews - 1.68 PPG
4. Clayton Keller - 1.50 PPG
5. Cole Esierman - 1.50 PPG

All this to say - (and sorry for going all "George" with the stats - but they are truly pretty special) - this kid probably needs a lot more hype soon.
Any particular reason you're leaving out the ntdp kids? Are they just too good (as a team) for the USHL?
I think some of the hype for the upcoming draft classes has been dimmed, or overwhelmed, by the Bedard/Michkov 2023 hype. The u18's World's should be fun when a bunch of these guys start getting real widespread recognition.

Reactions: QJL
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Woulda been so cool to have seen him go the WHL route with Seattle. Man it's crazy with the insane talent that Seattle currently has that they could have potentially still added Celebrini AND Brad Lambert.

I’m gonna dare to dream he still comes to juniors next year. Hopefully Sawchyn gives him a ring

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I was watching the Steel play recently and I completely forgot this guy is a rookie in the USHL. He just has the look of a top 5 pick. Phenomenal skill and offensive instincts.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I think Celebrini is going to go number one in 2024.

He looks to be right around the Adam Fantilli, and arguably Jack Hughes level as a USHL prospect, and he is a good bit ahead of Eiserman and Kiviharju in the race for top prospect.
Kiviharju is most likely the best player out of the bunch right now by good margin. His numbers are record breaking for any defenseman ever in international play or in Finnish leagues.

I actually still agree Celebrini and Eiserman might be better prospects if we think about NHL projection. I still think Jack Hughes was clearly a better prospect at same age, he simply had more world class tools.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad