F Macklin Celebrini - Boston University Terriers, NCAA (2024, 1st, SJS)

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Can anyone clarify the USHL draft rules for me? I don't know much about the USHL.

Do they draft based on last year's position? Or can you just recruit a player (is this the case with Celebrini?)

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Can anyone clarify the USHL draft rules for me? I don't know much about the USHL.

Do they draft based on last year's position? Or can you just recruit a player (is this the case with Celebrini?)
Keeping it simple, Every USHL team is allowed to sign (tender) two players prior to the draft, and if done you forfeit your first and second round picks. (Or just the first of you only tender one player). Not every team tenders two but some do. Then afterwards the rest of the players are selected in a normal draft.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
Keeping it simple, Every USHL team is allowed to sign (tender) two players prior to the draft, and if done you forfeit your first and second round picks. (Or just the first of you only tender one player). Not every team tenders two but some do. Then afterwards the rest of the players are selected in a normal draft.

Thanks! So it's more of a recruitment thing. I wish he signed with the T-birds so I can watch him in the WHL, oh well.

Reactions: JiggsNY

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Frustrating that I won’t be able to watch him in person, but as a fan of the prospect it’s hard to be mad about him going to the Steel. Their track record really speaks for itself.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
This is the first time I have watched this kid (U-17 Canada camp). A very impressive two way player. If he continues to grow I can see him challenging for first overall in 2024. They did say he was a dual citizen but I assume the broadcaster got that wrong.

His father, Rick, has been the Director of Sports Medicine for the Golden State Warriors since 2018, and it looks like he's been living in California since then. I'm not sure what the requirements are for U.S. citizenship but it wouldn't surprise me.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Looks to be a phenomenal player, seems to have pro level instincts already, nearly always makes the best play available and fantastic skill set to go along. He has been on a different tier than everyone else at the U-17 camp and that is saying a lot with some real high caliber players there.

Reactions: Dominance

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Not good for the CHL nor good for Canadian hockey. Too many top young Canadian players are choosing to play in the USA to keep their route open to the NCAA.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
His father, Rick, has been the Director of Sports Medicine for the Golden State Warriors since 2018, and it looks like he's been living in California since then. I'm not sure what the requirements are for U.S. citizenship but it wouldn't surprise me.
Even if he isn't he has already played a number of years in the USA and will continue to play two or three more at least. I don't see why he couldn't decide to become an American citizen and play for the USA if he wanted. U17 activity doesn't lock him in. Money matters.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Would like to point out that he grew up in San Jose and was part of the Jr. Sharks program. So Bay Area hockey development is finally good enough to get kids onto the NHL track after ~30 years

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Would like to point out that he grew up in San Jose and was part of the Jr. Sharks program. So Bay Area hockey development is finally good enough to get kids onto the NHL track after ~30 years
Looks like he played two years in that program, he is 16 years old.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I watched some of him in Canada's u17 development camp after hearing much about him last season. Never seen him play before. My first impressions:

- Pass first player
- Seems quite smart and makes plays rather fast
- Two-way game stands out
- Skating looks solid
- Skill level seems high, but doesn't blow me away
- Sometimes skated himself into trouble unnecessarily
- Tries risky passes and doesn't always have pinpoint accuracy

As for how good he looks, it's tough to judge by meaningless games in the middle of summer, but to me it's quite clear he's a notch or two below Bedard and Michkov. How he compares to first overalls of 2022, 2021, 2020 we'll probably have a better idea of after this next season.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
Go sign with Seattle Thunderbirds please... join all the young studs they have

In a dream scenario, they would have Celebrini and Brad Lambert. Absolutely stacked team. But neither are unlikely to ever play in Seattle.

Not good for the CHL nor good for Canadian hockey. Too many top young Canadian players are choosing to play in the USA to keep their route open to the NCAA.

Meh, it always happens. Celebrini grew up in the States mostly anyways. There are lots of options for Canadian kids to play in the NCAA. The BCHL is always strong and the AJHL is gaining steam.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

?

I thought Macklin returned to Vancouver each spring to play with Vipers?

Soro

Aug 6, 2022
?

I thought Macklin returned to Vancouver each spring to play with Vipers?
Agreed. Not even remotely true. He played from novice to U13 at North Shore Winter Club in North Vancouver. Not sure about this summer, but the past few summers he was on the ice at NSWC with other NSWC alum Connor Bedard and Kent Johnson regularly. His little brother JJ is also apparently quite the player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad