F Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS, Finland U20 (2022 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ya well Jack did make pretty wide turns pre- nhl ….plus Kakko was playing against men . Men ! Lol

Lol ya they look pretty big . Sony “handicam” tried to their head with a big antenna.

Then your wish shall come true . Not going to get into who is better but no way the Habs pass on Wright .
You don't know the bolded. You should really stop saying stuff like this with such conviction

Takurcitee

Apr 22, 2022
Does Slafkovsky play in Liiga or AHL next season?
Hopefully ahl I think he needs to play offensive hockey like in NT not trap style in liiga which doesn't suit him at all

Hopefully ahl I think he needs to play offensive hockey like in NT not trap style in liiga which doesn't suit him at all
Maybe even NHL tho ahl for 1 year is best for him I think

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Does Slafkovsky play in Liiga or AHL next season?
The Devils (if they do indeed pick him) have a super crowded forward group as is. He would probably have to beat out multiple NHL players and guys with good AHL seasons under their belt ready to make the next step.

If he earns it, he earns it, but I would expect him to start in the AHL.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Once this guy gets a little older. Man is he going to be strong on that puck.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
The gap between Liiga and NHL is big and Slafkovsky looked like a 3rd liner in Liiga. So I think quite unlikely he is NHL ready next season.

Takurcitee

Apr 22, 2022
2 assist in 1st period for slafkovsky also great snipe by sykora

Slovaks gonna be elite in 5-10years again

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I find him hard to place in my rankings. He has top 5 talent and has had some great international tournaments, but how much is that playing your best in a small sample and would the other top half of the first round players do the same with top 6 and PP time?

He hasn’t done well in Liiga for a guy that’ll likely go second. His stats for TPS are concerning, although they did get better as the season went on. He also doesn’t seem to play up to his tools yet, which sometimes suggests low soccer IQ. That same thing was said about Edvinsson, and it took him a very short time after being drafted to change that.

I think I’ll have him in my top 10. The upside is high enough and he’s had some better performances in 2022 than the first half of the season. If he busts in the 6-10 range it’s much less of a concern then busting as #2 in the draft. I cannot place a guy with his concerns at 2.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I find him hard to place in my rankings. He has top 5 talent and has had some great international tournaments, but how much is that playing your best in a small sample and would the other top half of the first round players do the same with top 6 and PP time?

He hasn’t done well in Liiga for a guy that’ll likely go second. His stats for TPS are concerning, although they did get better as the season went on. He also doesn’t seem to play up to his tools yet, which sometimes suggests low soccer IQ. That same thing was said about Edvinsson, and it took him a very short time after being drafted to change that.

I think I’ll have him in my top 10. The upside is high enough and he’s had some better performances in 2022 than the first half of the season. If he busts in the 6-10 range it’s much less of a concern then busting as #2 in the draft. I cannot place a guy with his concerns at 2.

It depends upon if you think the light is going on for him. If you think his end of season and world championship play is ahead of what gave you pause then the past doesn’t really matter as you alluded to with Edvinsson.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015

So who do you have going before him? Because there are quite clear concern for each and every player on this draft.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
9 goals, 5 assists, 14 points in 13 international games (OG & WC) this season so far in his draft year
as a 17 and 18 year old, versus men, pro hockey players.

Can people please explain me why is Shane Wright still consensus #1?
What exactly has Shane Wright done this or last season, to hold his #1 position?

I guess 99% of NA thinks Major Junior League, World Junior Championships >> World Championships & Olympics...
every international A team would eat alive, every CHL team, in every game.
- no matter what sized rink the games were played on

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So who do you have going before him? Because there are quite clear concern for each and every player on this draft.
I’m still not sure, although I don’t agree every player has clear concerns. Wright doesn’t, and you could make an argument that some others don’t have any concerns, at least not clear concerns.

Reactions: Michoulicious

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I’m still not sure, although I don’t agree every player has clear concerns. Wright doesn’t, and you could make an argument that some others don’t have any concerns, at least not clear concerns.
It’s not a concern that 9/10 scouts would’ve picked Wright first few months ago, and now it’s 6/10? People are not concern by Wright’s mediocre production either, eh?

This is honestly just a awful post lol

Martinez89

May 20, 2019

So Pavel, once again.
At the beginning of the season you listed Nemec as a 2nd rounder (!!) - I wrote you that you are completely wrong here...
In the middle of the season you had Slafkovsky outside of your top 20 multiple times (!!) - I repeated many times that´s a big mistake and it's only a matter of time before you change your mind...

I would say you´re excellent in scouting of US players you watched them play many times and it´s visible. But maybe you should just stay with this only.
I followed Slafkovsky for years and know this kid is a very special. In Slovak national team he feels very comfortable he is a key piece of a team and is best able to show what he is capable of. In Finnish defensive Liiga he isn´t in this position and first half of the season he was even just a substitute or 3rd/4th liner.

If he still isn´t in your top 5 I don't even know what to say. In 2022 after Olympics he seemed also in Liiga like a top 5 pick (played 2nd line and 2nd PP), add historical performances at the Olympics and on ongoing WC where his overall play on both these events was excellent, not only production.

I ask where you see 7-8 better prospects like Slafkovsky? My God, who is it? :)

Reactions: Ippenator

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Wright does have concerns... For starters there's not a clear improvement in his game than when he was 16, if any.

I think Nemec might be the safest pick in the draft

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
9 goals, 5 assists, 14 points in 13 international games (OG & WC) this season so far in his draft year
as a 17 and 18 year old, versus men, pro hockey players.

Can people please explain me why is Shane Wright still consensus #1?
What exactly has Shane Wright done this or last season, to hold his #1 position?

I guess 99% of NA thinks Major Junior League, World Junior Championships >> World Championships & Olympics...
every international A team would eat alive, every CHL team, in every game.
- no matter what sized rink the games were played on
Even France and Kazakhstan?

Pretty sure a few of those USNDP squads / top CHL teams (ex: Edmonton Oil Kings, Hamilton Bulldogs) would do very well.

Could be wrong...

Still think Slafkovsky is a top 5 prospect, but like all the others, there are a few question mark, namely skating and hockey IQ.

Wright is the most complete player in the draft and IMO he's above the other tier in the draft (Cooley, Slaf, Jiricek, Nemec, Kemmel).

tmlmatus

Dec 29, 2013
Toronto
why is his skating a concern for someone is beyond me
He has a weird stride. But I feel like his speed is actually pretty decent for his size.

I would say that there isn't a single player in the draft that doesn't have concerns. Even wright

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
He has a weird stride. But I feel like his speed is actually pretty decent for his size.

I would say that there isn't a single player in the draft that doesn't have concerns. Even wright
It is not a great skater, it is kind of obvious... He has a great shot, great board play and he has already filled at 220 pounds a 6'4 frame at 18 y old, which is quite unusual.

I think his ceiling is Rantanen, his floor is Nichushkin/Armia.

Wright's ceiling is a Bergeron/O'Reilly kind of #1 C and his floor is like a Trochek/Schenn kind of 2 C.

If I were Montreal, I'd go with Wright. At worst he'll be a solid, 2 way C behind Suzuki. At best he could become a top 5 C in the NHL in 4-5 years. Risk is low, and reward still quite high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad