F Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS, Finland U20 (2022 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
And obviously I wouldn't - I was merely saying that he reminds me of young Jagr, and he does. That size and that performance, very impressive, but naturally way too early to tell. What I would do is to bet a considerable sum of money that barring serious injuries this guy will have a very good career in the NHL.

I have him 6th in my ranking. So a prediction that takes him not very far from the Temple of Legends in 25 years.

I'm talking about overreaction to everyone who is already forgetting Wright, Savoie, Cooley, Nemec to make him the new superstar of the 2022 draft.

Stop the culture of the present moment that promotes a new draft No. 1 after each exceptional performance on a short streak.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
It's interesting how he can't score in Liiga but produced so well in the Olympics, even though Liiga is like the worst professional league in the world :sarcasm:

It's all about the role, icetime and the playing face of the team. I admit I know nothing about TPS and how they play, but his lack of production there might just be a result of him not being utilized in the right way.

Reactions: hellwar9

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
It's all about the role, icetime and the playing face of the team. I admit I know nothing about TPS and how they play, but his lack of production there might just be a result of him not being utilized in the right way.
It's not. There's a very small chance any rookie starts with a lot of ice time. It's about being able to produce regardless and getting promoted. Look at him in Team Slovakia: He did not start with a lot of ice time or a big role, but managed to produce regardless and got more as a result.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It's not. There's a very small chance any rookie starts with a lot of ice time. It's about being able to produce regardless and getting promoted. Look at him in Team Slovakia: He did not start with a lot of ice time or a big role, but managed to produce regardless and got more as a result.

Correct. Juraj hasn't looked like this in TPS, that's why he was ''only'' getting about 13 minutes per night. If people would watch his games in TPS, they'd find it very difficult to argue that he deserved more ice time than he was getting. IMO, he was given a generous opportunity.

Reactions: covfefe

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia

Team play style, team mates and overall line chemistry are also a factor. Like I said, I know nothing about TPS, my argument is just speculating why he might have been ineffective on TPS for now vs. his huge impact, goal and play wise on team Slovakia.

HeartAttack

Feb 16, 2018

lol so you are just reading and without understanding of written text

on Slovak team he started on 4th line with players that can by hardly considered better than his linemates in TPS but the difference was mesmerizing...i havent seen such dominant perfomance by 4th line so their role to create havoc was different that being on 4th line in TPS with limited ice time...you are giving examples without understanding whats behind them

if Slafkovsky was american or canadian player who just was named MVP of olympic tourney you would be all drooling over and claiming hes next McDavid

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
lol so you are just reading and without understanding of written text

on Slovak team he started on 4th line with players that can by hardly considered better than his linemates in TPS but the difference was mesmerizing...i havent seen such dominant perfomance by 4th line so their role to create havoc was different that being on 4th line in TPS with limited ice time...you are giving examples without understanding whats behind them

if Slafkovsky was american or canadian player who just was named MVP of olympic tourney you would be all drooling over and claiming hes next McDavid
Well, no. It depends on context. If Brad Lambert was on the Finnish team and scored the same amount of points, I'd still be skeptical because what I've seen from him in Liiga hasn't been all that impressive. Hypothetical scenario, ofc.

Anyways, I hope Slafkovsky becomes a great NHL player. Slovakian hockey success is success for all of hockey.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Definitely not, because club play still is very important and he's seriously struggled to make an impact in Liiga, which still isn't a super tough level of play. Kaapo Kakko and Patrik Laine at worlds are the closest comparables - Kakko of the two has ended up being a disappointment so far, and what's also important to keep in mind is that both Laine and Kakko actually had very strong club play performances and did not only have a single tournament they did well in.

The important thing to think about is why he's been so weak at the club level, since both Kakko and Laine did so much better. Maybe he has a strong end to the season even at the club level, and then there's no need for such concerns. But until then, you need to remember that NHL is club play, and club play is the best indicator for club play.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
He has never been very impressive in international tournaments so far.

What he did will weigh heavily in his legacy.

But jumping to conclusions because he's racked up goals in one and only tournament when he's never shown anything like it before is the best way to screw up when picking a player.

Kemell had an impressive streak as a 17-year-old in Liiga, even Wisdom last year had an impressive streak in AHL as an 18-year-old.

It was his glory week. To score 7 goals in an Olympic tournament, you need talent but also a lot of success.

No hasty conclusion. He is the MVP of the tournament but he is not the best player in the tournament. He is not, at 17, at the level of a Krejci, Shipashev or Power.

Before this tournament, Slafkovsky had scored just one goal in 14 caps for 2 points.

At the WJC, in 7 games played, he has 0 points.

At Hlinka-Gretzky, Dvorsky was above him.

This tournament was his but it is an isolated performance among others.

Jagr had shown much more at his age. 1 Olympic week is not enough to present him as a Jagr like. This is nonsense.
You are trying so hard here in the thread to undermine his success and I do not really know why. He was the best player in the tournament and deserves all the hype he has. Period.

PeterCheater

Feb 22, 2014
I don't think that there's that much of an overreaction about Slafkovsky, it's just a combination of ridiculous impact at OG level and projection for a future with his size and skillset that gets talked a lot. If he doesn't produce at Liiga level after OG, it will be obviously used against him, if he repeats his OG level, then he can end anywhere in a draft.

Let's be honest, Slafkovsky has always been more 'project prospect' than 'ready prospect', more than other top prospects in this class, so regardless of sample size it is really hard not to get enthusiastic when he was one of the best players in the tournament RIGHT NOW. If this, on its own, is enough to compete for a 1st pick? I think most people will admit that to be picked at 1-3 spots he needs to improve his production in Liiga. But if he starts to racking points in TPS soon after, then yeah, he may have a shot.

All the time there are prospects that solidify their top5 presence in a draft thanks to junior tournaments, with the same sample size and lower level, so to pretend that this type of performance on senior level isn't a big factor is unjust.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
You are trying so hard here in the thread to undermine his success and I do not really know why. He was the best player in the tournament and deserves all the hype he has. Period.

I moderate Slafkovsky's success.

No to the present moment culture where a player has gone up and down after a series of recent matches. To mediate a 17-year-old player as a superstar from only one tournament. Not for me.

Last edited:

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
His performance might never be duplicated by a player of his age at the olympics. Just looking at how the other players there who were drafted last year or 2 years ago performed compared to him just illustrates how good he was. I had him at 7 going into the tournament now I have him seriously challenging for the 1st spot in this draft. This wasnt the WJC, he was playing against grown men. Many of which have had careers in the NHL. No idea how people are downplaying his accomplishment in anyway. Maybe the most impressive thing I saw at the olympics.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
I didn't want to compare him to Rantanen just because he plays for TPS and is big. But i'll be damned he reminds me a lot of Rantanen.

Rantanen wasn't a dominant player in Liiga, he slowly season by season matured to what he is now, one of the best players in the world.

Young players are young players, you can't expect them to perform every night. But the fact that he was able to play at that high level in the Olympics says a lot. I don't see any reason why he can't follow Rants footsteps, top winger in the NHL.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Be careful not to get too excited from a single tournament.

Until then Nemec had always been better than Slafkovsky during an international tournament (Hlinka-Gretzky, WJC, WC). Dvorsky had outclassed Slafkovsky at the last HG.

Moments of glory, Wright knew some, Savoie knew some, Kemell knew some.

Slafkovsky scored a lot of points during this tournament but you have to observe the phenomenon over a long period.

Casting errors are often caused by choices made from a small sample.

Other than this tournament, Slafkovsky has never demonstrated anything equivalent to a 1OA. This is the case but it requires confirmation (an excellent end to the season in Liiga and domination during the U18 tournament).
Nemec was never above Slafkovsky. The only people who said that were non-Slovaks who haven’t watched enough of both of them. And Dvorsky, is not better than him either. I was a prisoner of the latter moment. I am not even sure Dvorsky is the best 2005 born Slovak. Slafkovsky is in a class of his own when it comes to 2004 born Slovaks. I would be interested to see if you stuck him on Kingston to play with Chromiak and Wisdom, what his production would be like.

I still think Wright is no.1 but no.2 is pretty wide open imo

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
And Dvorsky, is not better than him either. I was a prisoner of the latter moment. I am not even sure Dvorsky is the best 2005 born Slovak.
Please lets not forget that Dvorsky is one year younger but he still could managed to have more points than Slafkovsky at the HGC. Slafkovsky´s Olympics performace would be impossible to beat but we should wait a bit before jumping to conclusions. And I do not see any red flag to be unsure about Dvorsky´s status as the best 2005 Slovak.

Reactions: hellwar9

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Nemec was never above Slafkovsky. The only people who said that were non-Slovaks who haven’t watched enough of both of them. And Dvorsky, is not better than him either. I was a prisoner of the latter moment. I am not even sure Dvorsky is the best 2005 born Slovak. Slafkovsky is in a class of his own when it comes to 2004 born Slovaks. I would be interested to see if you stuck him on Kingston to play with Chromiak and Wisdom, what his production would be like.

I still think Wright is no.1 but no.2 is pretty wide open imo

Crazy how a tournament can make you forget everything that has happened for several years.

Take a look at all theprevious international tournaments. Nemec has always been better than Slafkovsky.

Even if I don't take it into account to build my opinion, Nemec was ahead of Slafkovsky before the tournament in the vast majority of rankings made by followers.

Dvorsky was the best slovak of the last HG tournament.

He is by far the best Slovak born in 2005. The others (Molnar, Strbak, Chromiak) are far behind.

You confirm what I say : culture of the present moment.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
14 months ago as 16yo during world juniors his skating would fizzle out midway the 3rd period.
His conditioning has improved so much since. Slovakia has played 7 games in 11 days , three times back to back including the medal game.

His ice times: 12:57; 13:39; 13:47; 15:16; 17:57; 20:03; 17:17
Started on the 4th line where he played until mid QF game when Ramsay moved him up on the 1st line.
He didn't sniff any PP time in the first 3 games. It didn't fazed him out one bit. He just kept scoring so eventually Ramsay had no option but to use him as Slovakia could not produce any PP goal.
All his goals were at even strength.
Guy is a horse.

One could just wonder what would be the outcome if he started from game 1 on the top line and PP.
Cehlarik and Hrivik were struggling until Slaf joined them. He elevated their game in QF, SF, medal game. When lined with Regenda and Roman they were the best line with most scoring chances.

Calling his performance random is downright bullshit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I moderate Slafkovsky's success.

No to the present moment culture where a player has gone up and down after a series of recent matches. To mediate a 17-year-old player as a superstar from only one tournament. Not for me.

Is anyone calling him a superstar? I think people are saying he has the potential to become one. How can this bother you? Doesn't matter if he gets drafted 1st, 10th or 25th overall - it's exciting times for Slovakia right now, and not only because of Slafkovsky.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Is anyone calling him a superstar? I think people are saying he has the potential to become one. How can this bother you? Doesn't matter if he gets drafted 1st, 10th or 25th overall - it's exciting times for Slovakia right now, and not only because of Slafkovsky.

He is compared to Jagr, labeled 1OA... 2 weeks before that was unimaginable.

What is good in hockey is that there are plenty of competitions.

As already said, other players caught fire during a tournament or a short sequence.

People are not able to say: he had a great tournament and won an Olympic medal, he has just ensured a top 10 selection and will probably gain a few ranks. We go straight to the extreme.

The fact that he piled up goals doesn't change his potential. He could very well have lacked success in shooting. He would have had the same potential.

Usually he's not a great goalscorer. He's a hard-working power winger who allows his line to be dominant on the ice in Junior.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
He is compared to Jagr, labeled 1OA... 2 weeks before that was unimaginable.

What is good in hockey is that there are plenty of competitions.

As already said, other players caught fire during a tournament or a short sequence.

People are not able to say: he had a great tournament and won an Olympic medal, he has just ensured a top 10 selection and will probably gain a few ranks. We go straight to the extreme.

The fact that he piled up goals doesn't change his potential. He could very well have lacked success in shooting. He would have had the same potential.

Usually he's not a great goalscorer. He's a hard-working power winger who allows his line to be dominant on the ice in Junior.

He is compared to Jagr because he is Slovak and has size and hands. I understand what you are saying, but this is in no way unique for Slafkovsky. Look at any player comparison before any draft, and every kid in the 1st and 2nd round is compared to some star level player.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
14 months ago as 16yo during world juniors his skating would fizzle out midway the 3rd period.
His conditioning has improved so much since. Slovakia has played 7 games in 11 days , three times back to back including the medal game.

His ice times: 12:57; 13:39; 13:47; 15:16; 17:57; 20:03; 17:17
Started on the 4th line where he played until mid QF game when Ramsay moved him up on the 1st line.
He didn't sniff any PP time in the first 3 games. It didn't fazed him out one bit. He just kept scoring so eventually Ramsay had no option but to use him as Slovakia could not produce any PP goal.
All his goals were at even strength.
Guy is a horse.

One could just wonder what would be the outcome if he started from game 1 on the top line and PP.
Cehlarik and Hrivik were struggling until Slaf joined them. He elevated their game in QF, SF, medal game. When lined with Regenda and Roman they were the best line with most scoring chances.

Calling his performance random is downright bullshit.
god this is something that I like: he made mediocre players even better.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think it’s silly to argue about him at this point. Quite simply, he needs to carry over what he did at the Olympics to his league play. If he does, he’s a top two lock. If he goes back to being non impactful, he’s probably more in the 5-10 range. Somewhere in between? Probably 3-5. Anyways it will be written.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad