F Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS, Finland U20 (2022 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
Needs to play with higher pace and improve his skating and he should be atleast top9 player in liiga next yr
Agreed, I think he is aware of his weaknesses and is working on them. That was the reason why he has chosen Finland. I think he has already made some improvement in his skating this season and he is slowly getting used to his body. When he can improve it also in next season, he can be really monster player.

Reactions: hellwar9

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Maybe you are right but there were players on both sides which are already drafted and were not so dominant, I am not taking into account that he played against 2 years older players.
When he would have been dominating in "stronger" team would you say that he was so effective due to his teammates?
That depends - on a stronger team, would he still be the play-driver?

Anyway, I’m not saying he’s a bad prospect. He’s a high-end prospect and looks like a certain first-rounder. So comparing him to “already drafted players” doesn’t really make sense because being drafted in later rounds doesn’t mean much. It’s more about projecting him to the NHL level and prospects at his level. Where in the first round should he be drafted? Is he a top-5 talent? Top-10? Should he be closer to 30th? We’ll find out soon, I’m just not as quick to hype him up as a top-5 or top-10 guy until he’s played and dominated at a higher level.

james12

Mar 31, 2018

Anyway, I’m not saying he’s a bad prospect. He’s a high-end prospect and looks like a certain first-rounder. So comparing him to “already drafted players” doesn’t really make sense because being drafted in later rounds doesn’t mean much. It’s more about projecting him to the NHL level and prospects at his level. Where in the first round should he be drafted? Is he a top-5 talent? Top-10? Should he be closer to 30th? We’ll find out soon, I’m just not as quick to hype him up as a top-5 or top-10 guy until he’s played and dominated at a higher level.

I mean, such debate is irrelevant at the moment. We have no locks at all, even Wright's and Lambert's final positions can't be determined right now. We could though talk about possible draft range. As for Slafkovsky, imo his range is quite wide - 5-32 i'd say. And i dont see any hype in this.

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia

I agree with you. I didn't say he is top 5 or top10 guy. There are some offensive talents who are little bit ahead of him right now- Wright, Lambert, Savoie.. Then there is US17 national team which triggers lot of talent every year. On the other hand the situation can be different in 1 year and when he progresses at least as he did till now, who knows...

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've said this before about Nemec, and I think it applies to Slafkovsky.

His accomplishments are going to be nearly irrelevant come the draft. Teams won't draft him in a certain spot because he's played in 2 WJC before he was drafted or that he scored a lot of points against the Czech 2002/2003 age groups as a 2004.

Context always matters. He could've played two WJC's because his competition to play on those teams wasn't very good, and he could've had a lot of points against those Czech older age groups without making that many great plays that will translate to higher levels.

Thats not to suggest its bad to score these points or have these accomplishments, but what will matter is the skillset NHL teams project out of the player. It's the same thing with Nemec. These guys have to continue to get better. They will not be picked out of sympathy. They will be picked in the spots they are picked because teams believe thats their appropriate slot value in helping the team out of the draft.

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
I've said this before about Nemec, and I think it applies to Slafkovsky.

His accomplishments are going to be nearly irrelevant come the draft. Teams won't draft him in a certain spot because he's played in 2 WJC before he was drafted or that he scored a lot of points against the Czech 2002/2003 age groups as a 2004.

Context always matters. He could've played two WJC's because his competition to play on those teams wasn't very good, and he could've had a lot of points against those Czech older age groups without making that many great plays that will translate to higher levels.

Thats not to suggest its bad to score these points or have these accomplishments, but what will matter is the skillset NHL teams project out of the player. It's the same thing with Nemec. These guys have to continue to get better. They will not be picked out of sympathy. They will be picked in the spots they are picked because teams believe thats their appropriate slot value in helping the team out of the draft.
Ok, but I don't think this hype is based on his last 2 games or WJC... or any other short-term accomplishments. I am watching this guy for at least last 3-4 years and I had some doubt about him, mainly because of his physical side, but he proved me wrong and I believe he can still improve. Only future will tell us if this will be enough for some NHL team to select him in 1st round. But this way we can talk about all draft prospects.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ok, but I don't think this hype is based on his last 2 games or WJC... or any other short-term accomplishments. I am watching this guy for at least last 3-4 years and I had some doubt about him, mainly because of his physical side, but he proved me wrong and I believe he can still improve. Only future will tell us if this will be enough for some NHL team to select him in 1st round. But this way we can talk about all draft prospects.

I agree. I think he’s a good player and will probably be a first rounder. I’m just saying that there’s no reason anyone’s opinion should’ve changed that much based on these games. Players he’s competing with for draft slots are also playing against older competition and having success. How he played in those games is certainly a positive, but I don’t see how it has any tangible effect on where he gets drafted or how NHL scouts perceive him. What will have an effect is the full picture of how he plays between now and the draft and how his skillset develops.

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
Reminds me of Mikko Rantanen

Me also, you´re right. I call him the Slovak Mikko Rantanen :)

I wrote here first a few days ago I expect him to make Slovak national team in upcoming WC. For him this was first pro senior´s match ever and right for men´s national team - it´s exceptional. And he scored overtime winner in 0-0 game - even more exceptional... :nod:

He´s still underestimated here by some users and probably also by eliteprospects where he lost his "top prospect" status :huh:

I´m very high on him and also his upside is very high, in this category I see him as top 5 pick in the 2022 entry draft or maybe even top 3 pick (upside). Sky is the limit for this kid.

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
Me also, you´re right. I call him the Slovak Mikko Rantanen :)

I wrote here first a few days ago I expect him to make Slovak national team in upcoming WC. For him this was first pro senior´s match ever and right for men´s national team - it´s exceptional. And he scored overtime winner in 0-0 game - even more exceptional... :nod:

I think there are 3 reasons why he could make the team for WC:
  • no team will be relegated this year so there won't be such pressure on the results
  • 28 players can make the team due to possible Covid cases this year, so even if he and Simon Nemec would not play much, they could learn a lot
  • he seems to be already prepared for pro hockey:thumbu:

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
His skating isn’t as much weak point as people think, once he gets going he’s pretty fast and he has long strides. His acceleration will certainly need to improve though. One thing this kid has impressed me with for his games with Men’s squad has been his 2 way play. He’s been constantly winning puck in neutral zone and intercepting passes, and getting back to help defenseman on odd man rushes after linemates turned it over.

He’s showed over the past games with men and u20 game against czechs that he can play game in all the ways. First game against czechs he showed more physical, power side to his game. Second, he showed more finesse and playmaking ability, also around the net ability. And against men has put it all together. When he was on the ice against German players who are point per game in DEL, I thought Slafkovsky stood tall and looked just as good. As @mirec04 said, there are few reasons he could make this team.

Could be a real fun summer for Slovak sports. World championship with young team, than Euros for the second time ever and now back to back.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
His skating isn’t as much weak point as people think, once he gets going he’s pretty fast and he has long strides. His acceleration will certainly need to improve though. One thing this kid has impressed me with for his games with Men’s squad has been his 2 way play. He’s been constantly winning puck in neutral zone and intercepting passes, and getting back to help defenseman on odd man rushes after linemates turned it over.

He’s showed over the past games with men and u20 game against czechs that he can play game in all the ways. First game against czechs he showed more physical, power side to his game. Second, he showed more finesse and playmaking ability, also around the net ability. And against men has put it all together. When he was on the ice against German players who are point per game in DEL, I thought Slafkovsky stood tall and looked just as good. As @mirec04 said, there are few reasons he could make this team.

Could be a real fun summer for Slovak sports. World championship with young team, than Euros for the second time ever and now back to back.
Don't forget Olympics ... Maybe there will be another Slafkovsky. But on canoe :D

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
From what I've seen, yes, Slafkovsky is ready to play the men's league next season. There are details that he still has to work on and improve like the acceleration mentioned above. I believe that if he does not make a spot for the TPS team, he will look for other ways for men's hockey in Europe.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
https://youtu.be/wAtD0Rovgk4
(2:39, 3:09). https://youtu.be/wAtD0Rovgk4

Here is better views at his chances today. Young boy tried between the legs goal, just missed past the post. Today he played his best game I’d say for NT. Although his game is not as rounded as the older players, his vision and creativity on the ice is certainly better than guys like Fasko-Rudas, Hrehorcak, Liska.

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
I watched the game and yes he could score 4-5 goals. He absolutely dominated and was easily most dangerous player on the ice, "only" better finishing was missing. But it will only improve by time. Also commentators were in amazement when Slafkovsky was on the ice and they weren´t Slovaks. It was funny :)

Chara-3

May 7, 2007
He's definitely made a big progress since WC20. He'll be high in draft rankings (Top 10), because even if he busts, he'll be a very solid 3rd liner, given his physical abilities. His ceiling is much higher obviously.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Officially been named on the WC roster. What an achievement for this young boy. First time I saw him was at a U18 game in Kosice and saw wow this youngster is special.

I expect him to work his way into more minutes as the tournament progresses. Watching the exhibition games, his vision is elite and he makes all the players around him better. I would not be at all surprised if he finished tournament playing 1st line ice time. One thing I hope that Ramsay will incorporate is to let him shoot a bit more on the PP since he has a wicked shot. Almost have him circle around the blue line (like Stutzle does in particular) than let him shoot. Or even set him up in slot for one timers.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia

Some stick handling highlights from recent games. He is really able to use that huge reach well and can move the puck close and away from his body very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad