F Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS, Finland U20 (2022 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
JURAJ SLAFKOVSKY, F, 2022 ELIGIBLE

The big-name of the 2022-eligibles, Juraj Slafkovsky has been impressing for the past two seasons in the Finnish U18 and U20 SM-sarja with TPS. The skilled forward has spent most of this season in the U20 league, playing 13 games, recording four goals and four assists in those matches. This will be the first major tournament for the young player, although he’s spent time with the U16, U17, and U18 national teams.
“His patience and poise are extremely impressive,” Bell said. Even under pressure, the forward is extremely calm, taking the time to scan his surroundings and make a calculated decision. Whether this means a pass or stickhandling the puck out of harm’s way, he can do both very well. His game is so controlled, so calm, and so collected.

beast mode

Oct 27, 2020
I am totally blown away by his performance at the world juniors thus far. He is the best 2022 draft eligible I have seen after Shayne Wright. Big body awesome puck protection strong shot. I’ll be following him in the next two years for sure. If he improves his first three steps he’ll become a jem. At 6’4 and 216 I can only imagine it will get better.

Chara-3

May 7, 2007
next Hossa?
He's good but he's not that good. Hossa was better offensively, better skater, better shot. He is a similar two-way player though, and hockey IQ is there too. He is also more physical than Hossa.

I see him around 20-25 in the 2022 draft at the moment. If he improves his skating and shot, he might grow higher.

Reactions: hellwar9

james12

Mar 31, 2018
He's good but he's not that good. Hossa was better offensively, better skater, better shot. He is a similar two-way player though, and hockey IQ is there too. He is also more physical than Hossa.

I see him around 20-25 in the 2022 draft at the moment. If he improves his skating and shot, he might grow higher.

Slafkovsky's shot is prominent and one of the best in the entire draft class so far. He just doesn't use it very often at WJC now.

Rankings are still irrelevant until Hlinka Gretzky Cup, but I disagree that there are 15 better players as of NOW. Though I agree that he must improve skating.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
next Hossa?

No, he doesn't have that explosivness in his skating. Hossa at 17y was a monster on the forecheck. He was huge for Trencin that year during the regular season and in the playoffs.

Slafkovsky at 16 is still developing. Becuse of his frame, size and quick hands he was able to dominate so far among juniors. The key for him next 2 years will be the transition to play aganist equaly big and skilled players in a tougher competition whether in Finland or Canada.
The fact that he already is able to go toe to toe with 18 or 19 years old gives a lot of promise he could be an impact player once he matures.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Slafkovsky's shot is prominent and one of the best in the entire draft class so far. He just doesn't use it very often at WJC now.

Rankings are still irrelevant until Hlinka Gretzky Cup, but I disagree that there are 15 better players as of NOW. Though I agree that he must improve skating.
Yeah I feel like Chara-3 saw Slafkovsky only in these 2 games at the WJC. He is complete forward. His shot, hands and puck protection are his biggest assets. Like u said, he needs to improve his skating, especially first few steps and he will be one of the best players in that draft.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Besides Nemec and Slafkovsky there are other interesting players in all positions. And in 2023, the Slovak promo should be even deeper with a player (at this moment) even more promising than Slafkovsky: Dalibor Dvorsky.
Even though he costs his team a goal against Canada, I think Slafkovsky has been good since the start of the tournament.

A Center of its level with such a template often appeals to scouts. I currently see him as a late first round.

Reactions: stastny12

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Besides Nemec and Slafkovsky there are other interesting players in all positions. And in 2023, the Slovak promo should be even deeper with a player (at this moment) even more promising than Slafkovsky: Dalibor Dvorsky.
Even though he costs his team a goal against Canada, I think Slafkovsky has been good since the start of the tournament.

A Center of its level with such a template often appeals to scouts. I currently see him as a late first round.
Salfkovsky is a winger, not a center. Dvorsky is a center. And I think its too soon to say that he's more promising. Last season, he wasn't that impressive but this season he played great for AIK.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
He plays a winger for the tournament but clearly has more of a center profile. Either way, there is no tight boundary between a winger and a center. It's often a story of context and at 16, Slafkovsky couldn't be a No.1 center in a U20 world tournament.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
He plays a winger for the tournament but clearly has more of a center profile. Either way, there is no tight boundary between a winger and a center. It's often a story of context and at 16, Slafkovsky couldn't be a No.1 center in a U20 world tournament.
He plays wing in club and in national team too, tho i could see him getting some games at center, since he has good vision and two way game

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
Watching him play vs Germany at WJC for the first time.
Solid size and raw skills.
I can see the hype and potential, you can see what he has to offer as a 16 yr old player no doubt about it.

But I question his IQ a little bit, specifically his positioning. It feels off when I watch him in the offensive zone. He's been trailing players in puck battles instead of giving them passing options once they get out of puck battles. Not sure if anyone else has noticed.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I do have my doubt in his positionning/reading of the plays but other than that he looks to be a great prospect for 2022.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I am totally blown away by his performance at the world juniors thus far. He is the best 2022 draft eligible I have seen after Shayne Wright. Big body awesome puck protection strong shot. I’ll be following him in the next two years for sure. If he improves his first three steps he’ll become a jem. At 6’4 and 216 I can only imagine it will get better.

Have you seen Brad Lambert?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
He should use his shot much more. For my taste, he pass too much to other players.

Many Slovak fans here are already dreaming about 2022/2023 WJC Slovakia team. That could be a real thing. If all goes good, it really could. But many times we saw, that promising teams simply exploded in a bad way.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
Watching him play vs Germany at WJC for the first time.
Solid size and raw skills.
I can see the hype and potential, you can see what he has to offer as a 16 yr old player no doubt about it.

But I question his IQ a little bit, specifically his positioning. It feels off when I watch him in the offensive zone. He's been trailing players in puck battles instead of giving them passing options once they get out of puck battles. Not sure if anyone else has noticed.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I do have my doubt in his positionning/reading of the plays but other than that he looks to be a great prospect for 2022.

I don't think yesterday's match was exactly his best. The whole team didn't play well. I also don't think that hockey iq would be his weakness. Anyone who has seen him play more than once must admit that hockey iq, vision, two-way play, stickhandling and his excellent shot are just what makes him special. But I agree, as someone here has already written, that he could use the shot more The only weakness is skating and mainly the first three steps. If this improves, he can be really beast.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
He plays wing in club and in national team too, tho i could see him getting some games at center, since he has good vision and two way game

He has been upgraded by 3 years in selection and 4 years in club.

At the same or close age, he plays center.

beast mode

Oct 27, 2020
Have you seen Brad Lambert?

First of all I’m not a scout and don’t pretend to be one. Lambert has very good speed, shoots a lot looks good but he’s a late 2003. He’s played a year more then 04’s and at 16 it makes a huge difference. I know they are in the same draft and there’s a big hype about Lambert but I am more impressed with what I see with Slafkovsky as a first time seeing him play. He wins his battles against older guys already and looks very confident and poised with the puck for bis age.

Again if he works on speed and explosion his ceiling looks pretty high. Not saying he’ll go second overall but I can see him going in the first round. He had a quiet game last night. Two games in two nights was tough on his legs for sure.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
It'd be great to have a superstar Slovakian in the NHL again. Not to put pressure on this kid, but it's been a while since Slovakia produced an elite player (Hossa, Gaborik, Satan, Demitra, Chara).

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
He should go to CHL next season. He is a player, he must play top minutes in every situation.
Yes, he could see some minutes in senior team. But if, he would play only limited role in Finland.

Chara-3

May 7, 2007
He should go to CHL next season. He is a player, he must play top minutes in every situation.
Yes, he could see some minutes in senior team. But if, he would play only limited role in Finland.
IMO he should stay in Europe and play with men. If not in Liiga then somewhere else. He relies on using his physical advantage and it works fine on junior level. The sooner he plays with men the sooner he realize his weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad