F Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS, Finland U20 (2022 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
How many Slovakian players who initially went to develop in a different country moved to play in CHL pre-draft? In my opinion if he was going to make such a commitment he might as well have gone to Canada right away, right?

Like I said , there is limited history on the move of legitimate Slovak prospects to places like Finland, it’s a new development so nothing can be predicted.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Like I said , there is limited history on the move of legitimate Slovak prospects to places like Finland, it’s a new development so nothing can be predicted.
Well how relevant is CHL's success on Slovakian prospects' development 20 years ago? In the first place I don't really get why their nationality would affect how useful CHL is but even if we assume it does, things can change quite a bit in that time.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Well how relevant is CHL's success on Slovakian prospects' development 20 years ago? In the first place I don't really get why their nationality would affect how useful CHL is but even if we assume it does, things can change quite a bit in that time.

There’s been Slovaks who have made it to the NHL who played in the a lot CHL more recently than 20 years ago. I’m saying say 80 Slovaks who have played in the NHL came from the CHL and one or zero have made it from another country it’d obvious which one has the better and more well known track record. Prospects leave decent conditions to go to the CHL all the time because they’re convinced it’s their best way to the NHL. For some countries and Russians especially this thinking is misguided but they will still come . The allure of playing in NA may appeal to Slafkovsky as well when he’s drafted , talks with the GM and the possibility is real .

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

Why does it matter where Slovaks best developed 20 years ago? Finland has arguably had the best youth development of any country in the world in the last 5-6 years. Why would Slovak players participating in their youth program be unable to progress the same way the finnish prospects are doing?

And why look exclusively at the history of Slovak players? If Pastrnak and Vrana could come through the Swedish system, then so could a Slovak player. Doesn't matter if they are Czech. They are much better indicators than Gaborik or Sekera who came through the CHL a very long time ago.

Swedish and Finnish players who opts for the CHL usually does it because they don't think they will get enough of an opportunity in the SHL or Liiga. Those who are good enough for a decent role at the men's level usually stays. Fehervary was good enough to make the SHL, so he stayed. Same with Jaros and Cehlarik. Maybe Daniel Chovaniak and Marcel Stefancik will be a different story, and moving to the CHL could be in their best interest, only time will tell. The same goes for Slafkovsky. But if he's in a position where he could be a top 9 forward and play PP minutes in Liiga, I don't see why he would move to North America all of a sudden.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Why does it matter where Slovaks best developed 20 years ago? Finland has arguably had the best youth development of any country in the world in the last 5-6 years. Why would Slovak players participating in their youth program be unable to progress the same way the finnish prospects are doing?

And why look exclusively at the history of Slovak players? If Pastrnak and Vrana could come through the Swedish system, then so could a Slovak player. Doesn't matter if they are Czech. They are much better indicators than Gaborik or Sekera who came through the CHL a very long time ago.

Swedish and Finnish players who opts for the CHL usually does it because they don't think they will get enough of an opportunity in the SHL or Liiga. Those who are good enough for a decent role at the men's level usually stays. Fehervary was good enough to make the SHL, so he stayed. Same with Jaros and Cehlarik. Maybe Daniel Chovaniak and Marcel Stefancik will be a different story, and moving to the CHL could be in their best interest, only time will tell. The same goes for Slafkovsky. But if he's in a position where he could be a top 9 forward and play PP minutes in Liiga, I don't see why he would move to North America all of a sudden.

What is not understood here is that I'm just giving potential reasons as to why he might go over and a perspective that can be thrown his way from those advising him. I'm by no means saying this is the best option for him because I actually hope he stays.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
Honestly, I'm a little afraid he'll reach such a height that it will be a handicap for him. How tall he is now? 192 cm / 6'4"?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Last year, the 4 U20 games he played was in Jr.A Sm-Liiga, this year I see the league he is playing in is called U20 SM-sarja. Did they just change the name of the league I'm guessing?

DannyShock

Sep 17, 2018
CZE
Last year, the 4 U20 games he played was in Jr.A Sm-Liiga, this year I see the league he is playing in is called U20 SM-sarja. Did they just change the name of the league I'm guessing?
Yes, it´s the same league, first level, they change the name

ijuka

May 14, 2016
You'd have to imagine that a player of his size and supposed calibre would be getting some Liiga games in, or at least Mestis. But perhaps there are different rules for foreigners and that's actually not an option for him, which would mean that he'd be spending the whole season at u-20s.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Gaborik did not play in the CHL. He was only drafted by Baie-Comeau. He never reported. Were you thinking of another player perhaps?

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Gaborik did not play in the CHL. He was only drafted by Baie-Comeau. He never reported. Were you thinking of another player perhaps?

Was too long ago since I wrote that post, I don't remember what I was thinking, but you are right.

However, my point was that Slovaks aren't somehow biologically hampered from having success in Finland or Sweden. If Anze Kopitar and David Pastrnak can develop there, then so could a player from Slovakia.

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Was too long ago since I wrote that post, I don't remember what I was thinking, but you are right.

However, my point was that Slovaks aren't somehow biologically hampered from having success in Finland or Sweden. If Anze Kopitar and David Pastrnak can develop there, then so could a player from Slovakia.

Maybe you were thinking of the other Marian - Hossa? He did play in the CHL, but only after having played a lot against men in Slovakia.

Reactions: Elvs

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax

I agree with you on the point of player development.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Already well established as being in the top 5 of the best players of 2004 playing in Finland with less than 2 years of the draft.

But I don't think he's an elite potential player.

His team is old. Next year he should be the best of his team if he progresses well.

It's still a potential first round but I don't see it as a top 10

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
Already well established as being in the top 5 of the best players of 2004 playing in Finland with less than 2 years of the draft.

But I don't think he's an elite potential player.

His team is old. Next year he should be the best of his team if he progresses well.

It's still a potential first round but I don't see it as a top 10

I think if he doesn't play next season among men, he will go to CHL. He said in interviews that he wants to make his debut this season and play some matches between men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad