F Joakim Kemell - JYP, FIN JRS (2022, 17th, NSH)

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
But he exactly is doing those special things a lot (especially for his age) and in almost all games. But it was you who anyway even admitted himself, that you were not watching that many of his games earlier. So have you started watching them (doesn’t really sound like that though), or are you still continuing with just making comments on a rarely watched game and some highlights? I was watching almost every Liiga game from Barkov, Laine and Aho, and I can honestly say that when they were Kemell’s age none of them were at least more dominating than Kemell has been now. Maybe around that, but not better at least. Aho was a year older when he was playing at a similar level and Laine wasn’t at the same level in regular season, but he was probably at that level or even a bit better in the playoffs, when he was absolutely magnificent. Barkov was playing smart and reliable hockey, but there were not really a lot of truly wow moments from him either. Definitely not more than Kemell has had this season.

Laine at his best was around Barkov level offensively. Barkov was best player for his team at playoffs until he was injured by hit of Melart. Barkov did outplay NHL C’s at first part of the season because of lockout. That was ridiculous to see from a 17 year old. He dominated all three zones . Hard to see Laine matching that.

Kakko is still clearly most dominant draft eligible player i’ve ever seen playing in Liiga. Especially at the latter part of his draft season. He basically did what he wanted on the ice. Laine was clutch yes, but in terms of dominance Kakko was tier above.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I am not far from thinking that he is the current number 1.

He's gone to produce more than Kakko and Wright has insufficient stats for a top 15 player.

Things will certainly change between now and July but the start of the season leads me to think that Wright and Bedard won't necessarily be No. 1 and I'm definitely burying my theory that No. 1s are known a long time in advance.

The yield difference between Kemell and Wright is currently too large and the season is starting to move forward.

Wright finally, we only saw him 2 years ago surrounded by 2 very good wingers and since then he has only shone in a U20 tournament where his best competitors were younger than him and where the performances are skewed by the overwhelming domination of Canada.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Understandable. A lot of the reason could be that his line in general isn't a very good offensive line and he's not exactly a play driver himself (not yet at least). Right now he's a very talented finisher who can play a heavy physical game and skate well. Valuable pick for a team that needs goal scoring expertise.
Fair enough, would be interesting seeing him with more competent players, but even then my point would also stand, i agree though 100%.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I am not far from thinking that he is the current number 1.

He's gone to produce more than Kakko and Wright has insufficient stats for a top 15 player.

Things will certainly change between now and July but the start of the season leads me to think that Wright and Bedard won't necessarily be No. 1 and I'm definitely burying my theory that No. 1s are known a long time in advance.

The yield difference between Kemell and Wright is currently too large and the season is starting to move forward.

Wright finally, we only saw him 2 years ago surrounded by 2 very good wingers and since then he has only shone in a U20 tournament where his best competitors were younger than him and where the performances are skewed by the overwhelming domination of Canada.
:huh:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Because he'll get the Kakko & Lundell route. EHT & WHC. Jalonen won't take him to his WHC roster without EHT. If you went and asked Kemell if he wanted to play in the World Championship this spring, he'd probably say yes. And that's the route.

Kemell can play EHT in EHT Sweden tournament. I believe that it comes before the Czech tournament. At that point his U20 tournament is done since long time ago and the kid would have some moments to rest throughout the season. Other option is to take him for Karjala tournament maybe but that takes away from his preparation for U20. Sihvonen did mention EHT Russia as well, which doesn't sound like a good idea. It's way too close to U20 tournament timing wise.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yes he's good but like i said overall he's not doing anything to really stand out even with all that production, he goes invicible for 80% of the match then all the sudden scores a goal. He needs to become more dynamic for me to be convinced he's going to become a star NHL'r.

I think the fact that he’s producing what hes producing at 17 makes you forget he’s still playing in a mens league. He’s likely not going to dominate shift to shift, but he clearly has elite skills that you draft early and help develop the toolbox for them.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I think the fact that he’s producing what hes producing at 17 makes you forget he’s still playing in a mens league. He’s likely not going to dominate shift to shift, but he clearly has elite skills that you draft early and help develop the toolbox for them.
Sure i do keep this in mind, still don't see him as a top 5, maybe he goes 3-5, but then he has to start being less invicible when not scoring a goal.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well the term ”flunssa” was used. Of course that was when they didn’t know how long he will be sick. Kind of semantics anyway. He was sick and missed a game because of it. That is the really relevant thing.
"flunssa" = common cold. For flu aka influenza we just use "influenssa". It's not referred to with "flunssa".

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
"flunssa" = common cold. For flu aka influenza we just use "influenssa". It's not referred to with "flunssa".
At least in the capital area it can practically mean either. People use it also as a general description of having something that is a bit more than a slight cold.

Last edited:

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Understandable. A lot of the reason could be that his line in general isn't a very good offensive line and he's not exactly a play driver himself (not yet at least). Right now he's a very talented finisher who can play a heavy physical game and skate well. Valuable pick for a team that needs goal scoring expertise.

We're missing a few things on the Ducks, but none more than this.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yes he's good but like i said overall he's not doing anything to really stand out even with all that production, he goes invicible for 80% of the match then all the sudden scores a goal. He needs to become more dynamic for me to be convinced he's going to become a star NHL'r.
What? He completely carries his line's play. Do you even realize what he's been playing with? He's leading Liiga in scoring while playing with two grinder 4th liners.

Also, he's not invisible. If he's invisible to you I'd suggest looking a bit harder.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
That's pretty inaccurate it seems. Haven't heard anyone referring to common cold with "nuhakuume".
Seems that your own knowledge on this is pretty inaccurate.

Redfox Sanakirja
https://www.suomienglantisanakirja.fi/flunssa
Käännös 'minulla on flunssa' – Sanakirja englanti-Suomi | Glosbe
MINULLA ON FLUNSSA - käännös englanniksi - bab.la Suomi-Englanti sanakirja

I’m half American and remember from the times when I lived in the USA that the word flu can be used also in this way. Seems to vary a bit with different people how it is thought though. A bit similar way as the word flunssa is in Finnish.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
What? He completely carries his line's play. Do you even realize what he's been playing with? He's leading Liiga in scoring while playing with two grinder 4th liners.

Also, he's not invisible. If he's invisible to you I'd suggest looking a bit harder.
He carries in terms of finishing, he's by no means a play driver. Jesus christ you fanboys are fragile.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Laine at his best was around Barkov level offensively. Barkov was best player for his team at playoffs until he was injured by hit of Melart. Barkov did outplay NHL C’s at first part of the season because of lockout. That was ridiculous to see from a 17 year old. He dominated all three zones . Hard to see Laine matching that.

Kakko is still clearly most dominant draft eligible player i’ve ever seen playing in Liiga. Especially at the latter part of his draft season. He basically did what he wanted on the ice. Laine was clutch yes, but in terms of dominance Kakko was tier above.
I have to completely disagree with your comment about Kakko. I do though understand that many people seem to perceive holding on to the puck and skating a lot around with it as some kind of dominating. In reality it isn’t anything like that unless it leads into steady production and creating a lot of chances to both the player himself and his linemates.

Kakko created pretty well for himself in Liiga, but he didn’t create that well for his linemates. In fact that buzzing around with the puck leads exactly for the opposing team to defend a lot easier, if the player can’t use that buzzing around to create chances to his teammates with the right timing, good vision and quick and accurate passes. Kakko wasn’t really that impressive at all with this, so his dominance was much more like kind of a bluff.

It was also pretty obvious to me that Kakko will not produce well in the NHL with this kind of a playing style and skillset. I mean very good puck protecting skills, a muffin shot, limited vision and passing skills and only pretty ok hockey IQ will at best lead into the player to becoming a so called possession God in the NHL, but that is far from being a dominant player, if there isn’t also great production.

Last edited:

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
What are you talking about? Kemell definitely is driving the play for his line.
He's better at it than his 2 linemates that's true, still not much of a playmaker though, he has pretty meh creativeness and chokes under pressure too much, like jesus christ if i'm not saying he's perfect at everything i get 2-3 guys foaming out their mouth going all mad, he's a very good top 10 prospect but somehow it's absolutely forbidden to think he doesn't look good enough to be a top 5 and that's just how i honestly think.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
He's better at it than his 2 linemates that's true, still not much of a playmaker though, he has pretty meh creativeness and chokes under pressure too much, like jesus christ if i'm not saying he's perfect at everything i get 2-3 guys foaming out their mouth going all mad, he's a very good top 10 prospect but somehow it's absolutely forbidden to think he doesn't look good enough to be a top 5 and that's just how i honestly think.
We are just debating, because you seem to be just clearly wrong with your perception about him. And his stats do already pretty much prove that you are wrong with your comments, but the eye test proves it even more. You seem to think yourself that it’s very important to constantly bring his hype down. Why is that then? You have already several times pointed out that you are not very excited about him, as he is just an efficient scorer and not much else in your opinion. Do you really expect that people will not comment on the kind of belittling comments that you are making about a prospect that is having a never before seen pace with scoring as only a 17 year old in Liiga? And this especially when he is really driving the play for his line and quarterbacking the 1st PP line at his age. Are you really serious dude?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad