F Joakim Kemell - JYP, FIN JRS (2022, 17th, NSH)

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
My point was that hanging a lot to the puck is not real dominance, especially when it doesn’t lead much into creating a lot of chances to other players than yourself. Those type of players are the first to get almost completely shutdown when comes playoffs time. Which was exactly what happened to Kakko in Liiga playoffs. My point was also still that Kakko’s dominance was pretty much a bluff on how good he really was after all. A muffin shot, not good vision or passing skills, and practically all goals scored by buzzing by himself around the ice with the puck and using his puck protecting skills for getting close to the goal, where was practically the only place where he could score with his weak and inaccurate shot. It worked pretty well in Liiga, until the playoffs started, but it wasn’t really true dominance, except for the impressive goal and point totals for a 17 year old.

Also wonderful cherry picking by you about Kakko’s goal scoring. Sure it’s fun to calculate a full season goal scoring total based on his last hot streak of the Liiga season, and to make believe that he is only like the player riding the hot streak. The truth is though that he scored 22 goals in 45 games, which isn’t even close to the pace of 45 goals in a season. A bummer though that he had to have games that were out of the hot streak, but unfortunately it happens to everyone.

Anyway, with a bit of cherry picking, Kemell is right now on the pace to score exactly 45 goals in a full season. I don’t think though that anyone seriously believes that he will keep on scoring goals with that kind of a pace for the whole season after all, and anyway he will not be able to play even close to all the Liiga games for the season, as he will be away for the U20 WJC and probably at least some games with the men’s national team.

If consistency during regular season is only way to determine dominance, then how you can put Laine’s dominance ahead of Barkov or even Mikael Granlund? Laine was at best really dominant, but at his worst mestis level of player. For me prospects and young players have developement curve during the season. Laine is perfect example for this kind of developement curve during his draft season. For me it’s not cherry picking to take over half season of sample to measure his dominance because he scored more goals than any draft eligible prospect ever during full regular season during that time frame.

Also when you lose playoffs series because opposite team focusing solely on barely 18 year old rookie is just testament of his dominance, not of his incapability to win series by changing his game. It’s a team game and his team lost because they couldn’t capitalize from lost recources that were used to contain Kakko. It’s crazy and even little foolish to put blame on 18 year old rookie.

I can sense how this discussion is pointless because there is no way that you can view from other point of views. Too stubborn to understand different opinions. We don’t have to agree, we just value some areas of dominance differently. Of course these boards are created for hockey discussion, even heated ones. To me discussion isn’t just repeating things like broken record and refusing to even understand other point of views.

A lot better than Olofsson was at 17.

How many games did you watch Olofsson play at 17 year old? Can you give us in depth review about their differences? Basing your opinion on beliefs or just comparing stats?

Obviously Kemell is regarded as a high draft pick when Olofsson was a overager and last round pick, but prospects have different trajectory on their developement. Olofsson is a late bloomer. It’s not smart move to evaluate players comparing their abilities at certain age especially when we have seen how compared prospect have developed over time and still continues to do so. Olofsson is leading his team in scoring at over PPG pace.

Last edited:

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
I wonder if he is still growing in height. Being smallish physical forward can cause a high risk getting injured like in the last game.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I wonder if he is still growing in height. Being smallish physical forward can cause a high risk getting injured like in the last game.
Honestly doubt there's any correlation between size & injury. It's all about being aware of your surroundings and being able to take & avoid hits properly.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
It wouldn't but there's nothing wrong with his size.

Well I think there is no correlation with size and injuries in general. This could be because bigger players tend to play more physical than smaller ones. But I would not be surprised if there can be a correlation found between small physical players and a tower-size physical players.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Well I think there is no correlation with size and injuries in general. This could be because bigger players tend to play more physical than smaller ones. But I would not be surprised if there can be a correlation found between small physical players and a tower-size physical players.
I would think there might be correlation there.
It is mutch riskier to wrestle upwards than down. Shoulders really dont like it.
Though quite many physical players are bit wreks as they winter 30's.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Hopefully isn't anything with collarbone. Looked like the shoulder gave in and might be related to that collarbone area.

He watched the rest of the game from the stands so nothing serious I guess.

Frosted Tips

Zegras for president
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Oh. That was a stupid hit.
As he was in really bad position he took damage from that.
Look how his head swings. Not a firm body as you should have while hitting.
Kids do kid stuff. This was one of those. Hope he is Ok, and learns.
Only seen one video with a questionable angle of the hit but it looked as if he was leading with his head :huh: Really strange looking attempt. Hope he's ok.

JoshTessler

Jun 18, 2020
Just published my report on Kemell for Smaht Scouting. Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad