F Joakim Kemell - JYP, FIN JRS (2022, 17th, NSH)

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
You don't seem to be very high on him, is he a top-10 pick? Do you feel other scouts have the same assessment?
2nd line winger with good pp time is pretty realistic upside although you always wish to get bonafide 1st-liner with top-10 pick.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Aug 21, 2016
Might be a draft where it's not bad to pick after 1st. Wright's mediocre skating really concerns me as a 1st overall talent. I think it's worse than Laf's.

It sure is worst than Laf from what Ive seen, he just doesnt move his feet and plays with no pace at all. He is far from a lock for the upcoming WJC.

I dont get why he is called the absolute 1st OV for the upcoming draft, he sure hasnt proved it all so far this season.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Just published my report on Kemell for Smaht Scouting. Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Damn, are we sure he'll even be picked in the first round? Seems like nothing he does is good enough. Lucky to go in the 3rd round?

Sounds like he struggles with skating, stick checking, hitting, puck protection, shooting, play along the boards, transitioning, passing and defending. I wonder if he even ties his own skate laces?

Last edited:

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Damn, are we sure he'll even be picked in the first round? Seems like nothing he does is good enough. Lucky to go in the 3rd round?

Sounds like he struggles with skating, stick checking, hitting, puck protection, shooting, play along the boards, transitioning, passing and defending. I wonder if he even ties his own skate laces?

Interesting.. I got totally different feeling from that report. Mostly praise with some things to improve. And Josh even projected him to be a 2nd line winger with PP time.. i.e., certainly first round caliber player in his opinion.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Interesting.. I got totally different feeling from that report. Mostly praise with some things to improve. And Josh even projected him to be a 2nd line winger with PP time.. i.e., certainly first round caliber player in his opinion.
Young kid's obviously gonna have lots of things to improve, but I did get a bit overly negative vibe from the report.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He is Liiga player of month. Youngest player ever to win. October he scored most goals and was second on points.

Destroying the league like no one else in history. Better than Barkov, better than Laine. Better than Jari Kurri or Teemu Selänne. Quite the hot streak if there's nothing more to it.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Destroying the league like no one else in history. Better than Barkov, better than Laine. Better than Jari Kurri or Teemu Selänne. Quite the hot streak if there's nothing more to it.
Not the same thing, Barkov for instance had a much bigger impact overall. And Laine did whatever he wanted in the ozone, Kemell isnt as impressive to me as Barkov and Laine were when they played in Liiga.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Not the same thing, Barkov for instance had a much bigger impact overall. And Laine did whatever he wanted in the ozone, Kemell isnt as impressive to me as Barkov and Laine were when they played in Liiga.

Barkov was on a level of his own, but Laine wasn't as impressive to me (in comparison, obviously). He scored goals, which is what Kemell is also doing.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Either way, you're talking about 2 guys who went 2nd overall. One of which is amongst the top centers in the league while the other is one of the best pure goal scorers in the league.

JoshTessler

Jun 18, 2020
I like Kemell. He is a DY prospect scoring goals at an insane rate against men. That is noteworthy. Is he as well-rounded as some other DY prospects are? No. But, most of what I've seen from Kemell can be addressed with acceleration development. If he can beef up his acceleration, he becomes a threat in transition, forecheck and backcheck. He has the skills, but his acceleration holds him back.

JoshTessler

Jun 18, 2020

Well your last question... I clearly can't answer.

But, as I just mentioned, if he can develop his acceleration, he can address a lot of concerns.

JoshTessler

Jun 18, 2020
You don't seem to be very high on him, is he a top-10 pick? Do you feel other scouts have the same assessment?
I think it depends on who you ask. Some are much higher on Kemell than I. I do think he is a top 10 pick. We had him on our preliminary rankings in the 7-10 range. But, it's hard to project now of course what our final rankings will look like. I project that the top 10 we posted will look completely different on draft night. Shane Wright has had a slow start to the year. Lambert too. Miroshnichenko has been inconsistent. But, we are early on.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

Difficult to take it seriously when Lambert is the 3rd ranked player. How can any scout watch both and have them in this order is beyond me

Reactions: Ippenator

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Difficult to take it seriously when Lambert is the 3rd ranked player. How can any scout watch both and have them in this order is beyond me
Overrating skating ability even if the player isn't able to use it for anything productive. Something like Kemell's accelleration is almost certainly going to drastically improve in the next 2-3 years, but Lambert isn't going to magically acquire more hockey IQ.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

I was reading that and these were my thoughts exactly. Many scout reviews tend to only focus on the positive and embrace that so that you'd think every prospect is a top10 pick minimum, which I also have to say is kind of boring. Yet this one was exactly the opposite and overly negative even from a usual Finnish POV (we can be one negative punch of people at times). With that said the review seems as if it was written from another player entirely.

Besides that it really sucks that Kemell is injured. There's not too many spotlights in the league nowadays.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

I read Lambert's analysis as well, and both were very strange. It's like they focused on largely irrelevant, microscopic details and didn't touch upon how the players play the game at all. Seems very incompetent to me, that's not how you in my opinion scout. Many of the observations were like looking at one event that occurred in one game and making a generalization and point about it.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
No he didn't. He just scored lots of goals because of his shot, few times deked defender here and there.

Kakko was dominant in his draft year. Best puck posession forward i've ever seen in Liiga.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
No he didn't. He just scored lots of goals because of his shot, few times deked defender here and there.

Kakko was dominant in his draft year. Best puck posession forward i've ever seen in Liiga.
Fair enough, but Laine was better at deeking than Kemell in Liiga nevertheless, and i agree about Kakko 100% the best possession monster i've seen in Liiga.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad