F Ivan Demidov - SKA St. Petersburg, KHL (2024, 5th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
He might get 60 plus as a rookie if Torts doesn’t restrict him .

Sounds like typical star deployment ( other than only offensive starts ) ….Philly isn’t a good team , his plus minus could very well reflect this .
With what center? Philly is lacking that center depth. Couturier is a shell of himself under torts

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
Exactly
Flyers and habs fans should be thrilled with 70 points

This whole discussion is stupid because they are both amazing prospects. They are ranked #2 and #3 and people are debating how much better one of them is compared to the other.

Their point totals are going to come down to usage, ice time, and powerplay time more than individual skill. Either player could easily score 20 more points than the other if they get a more favourable situation. People will still be found arguing next year about their point totals while ignoring everything else.

I'd rather see cool highlights from both and yet here we are again. People need to learn to enjoy what they have instead of trying to tear down others to make themselves feel better.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
There's nothing wrong with being cautious in our optimism. Far more busts come out of the first round than generational talents do, especially at 5th overall. In fact, of the players you would personally consider "generational," how many of them weren't 1st overall picks?

As easy as it to be excited about a draft pick, when a guy falls to 5th in the draft, it means a minimum 4 teams had at least one player on their list higher than him. Since no one has ever referred to any of the other players available in this draft as generational, I think some pushback on that term is warranted. Could he be? Absolutely. Is is likely? Not even a little bit.
Personally I have never called him generational. IMO generational is way overused. To be generational, your impact on the game must alter it. McDavid and Crosby are the only two of this millenium. Demidov has franchise level potential yes.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
'That Poster' is probably the most respected and knowledgeable poster here when it comes to Russian players, and he has not once uttered the word generational when talking about Demidov.

You clearly have a different definition for the word.

For me, the following players that I have seen play that I consider generational are the following:

Lafleur
Gretzky
Lemieux
Crosby
McDavid.

I'm sure that I've missed a couple more off the top of my head, but the list is not much longer.

I do not see Demidov being added to this list one day, as much as I am stoked to have him in this organization. I truly believe that if he reaches his ceiling, he will be the best offensive player that the Habs have had since Lafleur.

Lafleur over Jagr, Orr, Hasek, etc

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
There's nothing wrong with being cautious in our optimism. Far more busts come out of the first round than generational talents do, especially at 5th overall. In fact, of the players you would personally consider "generational," how many of them weren't 1st overall picks?

As easy as it to be excited about a draft pick, when a guy falls to 5th in the draft, it means a minimum 4 teams had at least one player on their list higher than him. Since no one has ever referred to any of the other players available in this draft as generational, I think some pushback on that term is warranted. Could he be? Absolutely. Is is likely? Not even a little bit.

If Demidov was american and was playing for a college AND fell 5th OA, what you're saying would make sense because his drop would for educated reasons.

But russians dropping throughout the history of the nhl were for obscure reasons and many times poor scouting accuracy.

Datsyuk was drafted 170th+...

it would not surprise me one bit if we see Demidov destroy the league in his first year

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018

I think this draft was one of those drafts where things simply fell into place for Montreal. Right place, right time.. type of scenerio. Going into the draft Demidov was seen as the 2nd best prospect by many in the NHL. The fact he slipped to 5th has more to do with the other teams needs and scoutings biases (Russian Factor), rather then a weakness in Demidov's game.

"In the case of Demidov, he is, in the eyes of our scouting panel, the clear consensus No. 2 choice behind Celebrini. Six of the 10 scouts surveyed had him at No. 2. All 10 had him in their top five. No other prospect in the draft, save Celebrini, had Top 5 unanimity." -Bob McKenzie

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
Sure but if you remember last year everyone said Bedard was Generational with the NHL and media analyzing every single breath he took.

So under this context, its only fair to say Demidov is gen too

?? dude you just said Lafleurs was generational...

so you believe Demidov has generational potential to yet you just argued that he dint. ...

make it make sense
Christ!! People here just don't know how to read!

Was Lafleur generational? YES absolutely!!

Will Demidov be generational? Most probably not. Anyone with a grade 5 level of English comprehension should understand what I was saying. Anyone who has been watching the Habs since at least the 70s will understand.

So I will try one last time to explain.

Lafleur was the Zeus amongst the pantheon of Habs Gods, at that time. He was revered, He was as close to the Rocket as any other Hab could hope to be. He was the Rocket for my generation. The last true superstar that this team has had, excluding goalies of course.

Since then, the Habs have lost their identity, lacking any elite skaters, so the younger fans have yet to have their Rocket or their Demon Blond.

So, if Demidov reaches his potential, and becomes a consistent 85-100 point producer, people here will lose their minds. The younger generations who have had to listen to their parents and grandparents talk about the Rocket and Lafleur, will now have their player.

Does that mean that I think that Demidov will reach the level of Lafleur? NO!! But the hype will be real.

If that doesn't clear up the one simple sentence that I wrote that seemed to trigger a few posters, then you're:

1- A troll or hater
2-Dense
3- English is not your mother tongue.

If you're #3, I apologize for the rant.

Reactions: ElQuebecois

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
dude... i see you in every single Habs thread.:laugh:
I think it’s 3 threads ; 1 of which is a Michkov ( Demidov thread also linked ) thread who I’m clearly a supporter of . I’ve been on the David Savard slipping train for years . Even so far back as when he was traded to Tampa . My post history will back this up . So if you’re suggesting it’s due to anti Hab bias I’m sorry but you’re incorrect .

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Xirik and jfhabs

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Hawks offer Oliver Moore, 2026 1st, Sacha Boisvert, Adam Gajan, Kyle Davidson, Paul Ludwinski, and Kevin Korchinski

Reactions: Guess

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
Lafleur over Jagr, Orr, Hasek, etc

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Another poster with weak reading skills.
I did say that I that the list was probably missing a few names.
Jagr obviously.

I purposely left out goalies because the Habs have been bereft of elite skaters since Lafleur left. Elite goalies have never really been a problem.

The Bobby Orr I remember watching was a shell of what he truly was at his peak before his knees gave out.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Nice Move/Pass 4:14
Scoring Chance 9:05
Rush Leads to Penalty/Chance 11:52
What a Move 13:19
Assist 14:13
SO Goal 18:36

Looks like he's had a productive summer. He looks a fair amount more powerful here than he did last year, which is really great to see. Last year I didn't see a ton of progress year over year in his skating/power. But he looks like he really put the work in the last few months.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Hot take:

Michkov and Demidov, even as wingers, will have the same franchise impact that Jack Hughes had on the Devils.

Same level of talent, IMO. Hughes is the better skater/passer, Michkov the better scorer/hockey IQ, Demidov the best hands/tenacity/2-way game.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Hot take:

Michkov and Demidov, even as wingers, will have the same franchise impact that Jack Hughes had on the Devils.

Same level of talent, IMO. Hughes is the better skater/passer, Michkov the better scorer/hockey IQ, Demidov the best hands/tenacity/2-way game.
Now the biggest question, who of those 3 can stay the most healthy? hahahaha

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
True.

Hopefully Hughes comes back well from that shoulder surgery.

Caufield's shot was not the same last year, takes a year for most players.
But yeah I think we can be hopeful the two Russians have similar type of impact as Jack Hughes, but don't forget, there were some sequences and short period of time where Hughes was probably the most dominant player in the league. No rush, I think Michkov and Demidov will have good impact in the league.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hot take:

Why namedrop Michkov in a Demidov thread?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad