Prospect Info: F Isak Rosen (14th Overall, 2021), Assigned to Rochester 12/10

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He produced a lot but it seemed like his production was largely from PP one timers from the VO spot if I remember correctly. I don't think he really took over games but don't remember too well

There is a massive difference between saying someone didn't take over a game and calling someone a bust. My point stands that his limbs haven't fallen off and he still has the ability to outperform his peer group.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
There is a massive difference between saying someone didn't take over a game and calling someone a bust. My point stands that his limbs haven't fallen off and he still has the ability to outperform his peer group.
Well of course. I think saying that he tore it up might be a little heavy handed in the other direction though.

LetsGoBuffalo1126

Nov 17, 2021
I’m not ready to call Rosen a bust, but passing on the two goalies to draft a project will look mighty suspect if they can’t land either of Portillo or Levi.
I'm not trying to overly defend the organization, but this would be a pretty strong hindsight statement. They did address goaltender by trading for Levi and drafting Portillo. They had/have no way of knowing if these players will play for them outside of whatever conversations they have. Not taking a swing at a high-risk/reward player just because two NCAA goalies might not sign with you is strange asset management, IMO.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well of course. I think saying that he tore it up might be a little heavy handed in the other direction though.

7 goals put him behind two players in that tournament - Michkov and Shayne Wright. Can we not celebrate this? FFS.

Also, that he can finish from a similar spot as Olofsson isn't a negative. He has the ability to finish from moderate range via skill. Prospect-wise, they only have two guys who have shown they can do that against their peers - him and (surprisingly) Bloom.

Reactions: Gabrielor and jmelm

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The praise on this kid's offensive ceiling was high (I heard better than Peterka), so I'll trust the development process.

I did want Wallstedt at that pick, but Tage Thompson has changed my tune on letting guys develop.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
This Rosen-bust talk is ridiculous. A lot of great players end up having a disappointing D+1 season, and in this case it was largely not of his own making.

Looking forward to seeing him in the summer WJC and hopefully he can shut up some of the naysayers.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Says the guy who refers to Brett Murray as NotMete.

Hey, we all have one!

Also, I now refer to Murray as Mini-Maroon. :P I've consistently wanted him to turn out, including encouraging people toward his decision to turn pro and pointing out what he does well (playmaking in confined space, getting to the net).

Reactions: truthbluth

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
7 goals put him behind two players in that tournament - Michkov and Shayne Wright. Can we not celebrate this? FFS.

Also, that he can finish from a similar spot as Olofsson isn't a negative. He has the ability to finish from moderate range via skill. Prospect-wise, they only have two guys who have shown they can do that against their peers - him and (surprisingly) Bloom.
His performance can be celebrated, and finishing from that spot is not a bad thing.

I just don't think it qualifies as tearing it up. The implication in the reply to Sabre mike was that he was a year out from a significant accomplishment. He had good production, but I don't see that tourney performance as something so meaningful that it would change someone's opinion on the prospect substantially, or more so than the last year if that's what mike is emphasizing

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
A classic example of a skilled player who hasn't yet earned his place on an SHL roster. I think Fortin said they would've liked him to be in the Allsvenskan sooner when he did his Instigators interview too.
The consistency of not bouncing between leagues probably would have been much better for him. Hopefully he sticks to a team next season and they don't shift him around. Allsvenskan seems like a decent developmental league in it's own right, Filip Forsberg played his D+1 season there and turned out pretty good.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The consistency of not bouncing between leagues probably would have been much better for him. Hopefully he sticks to a team next season and they don't shift him around. Allsvenskan seems like a decent developmental league in it's own right, Filip Forsberg played his D+1 season there and turned out pretty good.

Either stay in one location in the Allsvenskan or get into a situation with better use in the SHL via a loan from Leksands. Getting more playing time in a men's league is also going to be about being able to consistently perform in a men's league which was my point earlier that a full summer of training is probably better for him than going to the rescheduled U20's. Yes, the U20's are an acknowledgement but losing about a month of training time when he has so far to go is my concern.

That said, if he is there, I hope he can produce like he has done against his peers so that the conversation can shift back to being patient with him instead of him as a failed selection.

Reactions: WhereAreTheCookies

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Either stay in one location in the Allsvenskan or get into a situation with better use in the SHL via a loan from Leksands. Getting more playing time in a men's league is also going to be about being able to consistently perform in a men's league which was my point earlier that a full summer of training is probably better for him than going to the rescheduled U20's. Yes, the U20's are an acknowledgement but losing about a month of training time when he has so far to go is my concern.

That said, if he is there, I hope he can produce like he has done against his peers so that the conversation can shift back to being patient with him instead of him as a failed selection.
For a kid his size I agree, he just needs to add some mass and strength to his frame so he can handle a men's league. Personally I have low expectations for him since it was such a weird draft year and I see him as found money given it was in return for Risto :laugh:. Hopefully the kid turns out dynamite in a few years, but I won't be heartbroken if he doesn't.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Probably a long shot but if anybody knows how to read this article for free I'd love to read it. Seems like it has some good info about what went on this season with Isak Rosen. I wouldn't even mind paying to sign up but I don't feel great about putting my info into a Swedish website when I don't even think I could understand how to cancel lol

• Haha
Reactions: jmelm

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Probably a long shot but if anybody knows how to read this article for free I'd love to read it. Seems like it has some good info about what went on this season with Isak Rosen. I wouldn't even mind paying to sign up but I don't feel great about putting my info into a Swedish website when I don't even think I could understand how to cancel lol

I'm sure you'll figure it out! Let us know what is says after you subscribe! Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: RefsIdeas

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

It basically says using some regional swedish idioms: "we have no idea what Buffalo was thinking either".

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Too cheap to pay 8 kronor a week for 8 weeks before it triples in price? :p

A61EA188-4046-4E68-896B-590DDF650CE2.png

• Haha
Reactions: RefsIdeas

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
This pick has always not been my favorite because the skaters that were drafted directly behind Rosen were both ranked higher by consensus and had very good D + 1 seasons in comparison. Still too early to judge fully.

I have a strong conviction that we would be a far better team over the last 20 years if we fired our entire amateur scouting department and drafted off of average consensus rankings.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I will never underestimate how much lingering injuries can truly just hamper a player.

Don't have to look far with Olofsson and look at the difference in Tarasenko.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Rosen is a boom or bust pick, but he could be a fan favorite. He has top 6 skating, shooting and vision. He’s a long term investment that hopefully keeps growing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad