Prospect Info: F Isak Rosen (14th Overall, 2021), Assigned to Rochester 12/10

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
NCAA does not allow players who have signed pro contracts to play.

They even consider major junior to be a professional league

I'm aware. As I said, it's hard to commit to an NCAA program when one is already signed to and playing on a professional contract - Rosen is, and is signed through next year by Leksands. The poster I was replying to also knows that.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Fortin also said he wasn't sure how participating in two U20's in 4 months would impact him. I'd rather a guy like him (and Power for that matter) spends the summer in the gym instead of playing in the U20's. Trying to shoehorn it in now seems like a recipe for injury and not setting some of these players up for their best possible seasons.

I would be more concerned about that if he was coming over to play in the AHL next year. But since his plan is to play in Sweden, I don't think that league is as physically demanding where it's as paramount that he adds bulk.

Given that he's missed some time of late with injury, on balance I think it's worth it developmentally and for his confidence to play in the WJCs as well as development camp.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would be more concerned about that if he was coming over to play in the AHL next year. But since his plan is to play in Sweden, I don't think that league is as physically demanding where it's as paramount that he adds bulk.

Given that he's missed some time of late with injury, on balance I think it's worth it developmentally and for his confidence to play in the WJCs as well as development camp.

Since he's starting from 150-ish lbs., he's got a lot to add.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Since he's starting from 150-ish lbs., he's got a lot to add.

I know, and it's why he's realistically a longer term prospect. I know the NCAA isn't possible but of course would be ideal.

Given the Euro seasons end earlier, I think we can really target summer of 2023 for when he can hopefully add a lot of bulk that will help him transition to the AHL for 23-24.

If he wasn't signed in Sweden for next season and was planning on coming to NA, then I would have more concern.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
To those expecting him to put on a LOT of weight in one year, I wouldn't hold your breath. I was 155 at 6'2 at the end of high school. Going into the marines only put on 10 lbs. I didn't rise above 165 until I hit about 30. Let's not talk about where I am now. :D

That's just my example. But I know a lot of guys built like this who simply cannot put on weight because their body won't let them no matter how hard they try. It may happen for him. Good if it does(probably). I haven't heard too many cases where someone with a slight build puts on weight fast. (waits for someone to cherry pick examples that aren't exactly what I'm talking about and use them to "prove" me wrong)

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
To those expecting him to put on a LOT of weight in one year, I wouldn't hold your breath. I was 155 at 6'2 at the end of high school. Going into the marines only put on 10 lbs. I didn't rise above 165 until I hit about 30. Let's not talk about where I am now. :D

That's just my example. But I know a lot of guys built like this who simply cannot put on weight because their body won't let them no matter how hard they try. It may happen for him. Good if it does(probably). I haven't heard too many cases where someone with a slight build puts on weight fast. (waits for someone to cherry pick examples that aren't exactly what I'm talking about and use them to "prove" me wrong)

I’m one of those who can’t put on weight no matter what. When I graduated high school, I was 130. 20 years later I’m tipping the scales at 135.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

It's more imperative to add lower body strength before coming over. Not that he couldn't use more upper body strength. Those lb's will come up when he gets to where he needs to be. Hopefully a few stints in NA proves that to him

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Past light players have taken a long time to put on muscle mass. Laaksonen for example is one who is still probably too light for the rigors of the NHL game and he's been at it for five years. Ending dry-land training to get on the ice for an August WJC takes away from the time Rosen can be working on building up his body.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Definitely way too early to write him off, but you can still be upset when you look at their players taken after him and the progress they've made. Guys like Othmann, Bolduc and Johnson are having exceptional years in the CHL.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
That was hard to understand. They also expect him in the rescheduled WJC, which I think would conflict with dev camp. So while Fortin said he would play in both WJC, he also said WJC would interfere with pro camps.

draft is I think juky 8-9.
develop camp could be two weeks later followed by WJC.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Past light players have taken a long time to put on muscle mass. Laaksonen for example is one who is still probably too light for the rigors of the NHL game and he's been at it for five years. Ending dry-land training to get on the ice for an August WJC takes away from the time Rosen can be working on building up his body.
Gotta do them deadlifts and all the presses and squats and lunges

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Definitely way too early to write him off, but you can still be upset when you look at their players taken after him and the progress they've made. Guys like Othmann, Bolduc and Johnson are having exceptional years in the CHL.

Aside from hindsight being 20-20, Wyatt Johnson (an amazing pick by Dallas) was a reach at the time because he was a consensus second rounder. So there are a lot of teams that now wish they took him or traded up for him. The guys who were widely ranked in the middle of the first were Othmann, Bolduc, Lucius and Svechkov.

I actually like that BUF swung for the fences with Rosen. Maybe they well knew, because of his body type, that he was a 3-4 or even 5 years away guy, but hoped that when he eventually arrived, that he would be a true game breaker/play driver, and those guys are the hardest guys to find.

You never want to miss in the first round of course, but given the overall depth BUF has at so many positions, I'm glad they tried to hit a home run with Rosen and hope they do that with at least some of their top 4 picks in this year's draft and next year's draft.

It's far too early to decipher anything yet, so let's hope Rosen develops into exactly the kind of player they thought he'd be, because he's got the exact type of game that would be a great complement to what is already in the fold.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua

I’m really similar. 6’2” and weighed 150ish outta high school despite eating everything I could. 20 years later I sit at around 160 and my hobby is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu so it’s not like I don’t have the physical output to build muscle. The one time I decided to try, I spent a 18 months lifting weights and demolishing so much protein … I made it to 170, hurt my back doing something unrelated and all the muscle gain was gone in 2 months.

So I’m not saying Rosen can’t gain muscle, it’s just for some of us it is no easy thing to do and eating becomes a job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad