F Gavin McKenna - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2026 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
There should be far more hype for McKenna. Not sure if it is because we've become fatigued after the Bedard hype or just seen too many top CHLers underperform expectations in the league, but McKenna deserves more recognition.
400+ posts on a kid that is still 3 years out from his draft year isn’t enough recognition? LOL

Reactions: Breakers

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
There should be far more hype for McKenna. Not sure if it is because we've become fatigued after the Bedard hype or just seen too many top CHLers underperform expectations in the league, but McKenna deserves more recognition.

Especially after his 16th birthday,, he's gotten to a new level. Given he's Bedard's cousin there should be a few more press articles.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Especially after his 16th birthday,, he's gotten to a new level. Given he's Bedard's cousin there should be a few more press articles.
I do think that there is a Bedard effect but not only that.

In recent years, we have been stunned by the Bedard hype, presented as the generational player. By definition, there cannot be two generational players in the same generation.

Additionally, other Canadian players performed very well. Shane Wright and Michael Misa in particular. Landon Dupont, Alexis Joseph, Maddox Schultz also started off on very high bases.

There is a trivialization of what was exceptional.

A player like Patrick Kane was a rarity in 2007. In the 1920s, there were players like him every year.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
I do think that there is a Bedard effect but not only that.

In recent years, we have been stunned by the Bedard hype, presented as the generational player. By definition, there cannot be two generational players in the same generation.

Additionally, other Canadian players performed very well. Shane Wright and Michael Misa in particular. Landon Dupont, Alexis Joseph, Maddox Schultz also started off on very high bases.

There is a trivialization of what was exceptional.

A player like Patrick Kane was a rarity in 2007. In the 1920s, there were players like him every year.

The Tavares effect. Peak early, spend too much time or develop bad habbits in Junior hockey. Some of these players need better competition to continue to push themselves. We will see what happens with Gavin and if puts up some truly monster seasons. Misa or Mckenna, which one would you bet on.

The one thing Gavin has at this point is decent size (Misa too), he just needs to fill out. I think it would be funny if Gavin ends up be the true generational talent over Bedard. But he has a long way to go.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Currently on pace for roughly 94 pts if he were to paly every game form here on out (93.7).

I did a quick search and checked every player who has put up 100 pts as a 16yo in the CHL, and the youngest to ever do it is currently Guy Chouinard back in 1972-73 with a bday of Oct. 20.

That means there is an outside chance that McKenna becomes the youngest player in CHL history to put up 100 pts this year. He's been heating up lately too, so its not really out of reach. Would be kind of cool to see it happen.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Currently on pace for roughly 94 pts if he were to paly every game form here on out (93.7).

I did a quick search and checked every player who has put up 100 pts as a 16yo in the CHL, and the youngest to ever do it is currently Guy Chouinard back in 1972-73 with a bday of Oct. 20.

That means there is an outside chance that McKenna becomes the youngest player in CHL history to put up 100 pts this year. He's been heating up lately too, so its not really out of reach. Would be kind of cool to see it happen.

I'd rather use recent comparables. Bedard had 100 PTs in his 16 year old season, while Cristall and Howe both had 69 PTS (which McKenna has tied tonight)

There's a chance he outscores Bedard this season, with the way he's going.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
almost 70 points.

I'd rather use recent comparables. Bedard had 100 PTs in his 16 year old season, while Cristall and Howe both had 69 PTS (which McKenna has tied tonight)

haaaa i beat you to it, with the goal clip ;)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
18 points behind Firkus's 1st place in WHL scoring
catching up but... still i think too much, though...

In 1 month of hockey (Jan 6 - Feb 6) Gavin has scored 33 points (13 games) 2.55 ppg

vs

last 1 month of hockey Firkus : 28 points (2.15 ppg), although, last 6 games, "just" 7 points
which is just over ppg, where as McKenna 16 points in his last 6 games (2.66 ppg)

So its actually 2.66 ppg vs 1.16 ppg as in current pace

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014

sure, but it would still be cool to be the youngest player EVER to have a 100 pt season in the entire CHL.

18 points behind Firkus's 1st place in WHL scoring
catching up but... still i think too much, though...

In 1 month of hockey (Jan 6 - Feb 6) Gavin has scored 33 points (13 games) 2.55 ppg

vs

last 1 month of hockey Firkus : 28 points (2.15 ppg), although, last 6 games, "just" 7 points
which is just over ppg, where as McKenna 16 points in his last 6 games (2.66 ppg)

So its actually 2.66 ppg vs 1.16 ppg as in current pace

In "current arbitrary cherrypicked one month" pace, yeah. What he's doing is incredible, but we don't get to pick his best month and call it his "current pace", sorry.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
sure, but it would still be cool to be the youngest player EVER to have a 100 pt season in the entire CHL.

In "current arbitrary cherrypicked one month" pace, yeah. What he's doing is incredible, but we don't get to pick his best month and call it his "current pace", sorry.
you are as good as your...

I'd counter point your post; that this IS his current pace, a pace that he has held for a month already
its not a small sample thing.

His current pace IS NOT his season pace, that's his relevant pace of the entire season,
that varies the entire season, currently he is on a 2.55 ppg pace (his point total and ppg of the season increases after each 2 or 3 point game)

Gavin has 18 games left; 18 x 2.55 = 46 points = 46+69 = 115 points
(even though his season pace is 97 points)

The question is; will he keep up his 2,55 ppg average, what he has kept the last month
well, he has kept it for a month, good chance that he can do another month (and + 4 days)

PS. 2.66 ppg in his last 7 games, 0.11 ppg increase

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
you are as good as your...

I'd counter point your post; that this IS his current pace, a pace that he has held for a month already
its not a small sample thing.

His current pace IS NOT his season pace, that's his relevant pace of the entire season,
that varies the entire season, currently he is on a 2.55 ppg pace (his point total and ppg of the season increases after each 2 or 3 point game)

Gavin has 18 games left; 18 x 2.55 = 46 points = 46+69 = 115 points
(even though his season pace is 97 points)

The question is; will he keep up his 2,55 ppg average, what he has kept the last month
well, he has kept it for a month, good chance that he can do another month (and + 4 days)

PS. 2.66 ppg in his last 7 games, 0.11 ppg increase
Last game? Ok 4 ppg "current pace" confirmed
:sarcasm:

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
How likely is the scenario that McKenna ends up in Toronto? My finger is on the trigger for a jersey purchase. I want to be the first to have the jersey of Toronto's future star. Do you think McKenna would bring the Cup to the hockey capital?
Do you really think Toronto will be drafting 1st overall 2 years from now?

I highly doubt that.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
The thing with fellas like Gavin... you can't ever rule out the possibility of them playing in Toronto. Here's why he's more than likely to suit up in Blue sooner or later

1. Leafs draft Gavin 1st overall (see: Matthews)
2. Gavin falls to #32 (see: Lambert, Raty, Benson, Ebert, McFarland...)
3. Leafs sign him through free agency (see: Johnny)
4. Leafs trade for him (see: Sundin)

It's going to happen, y'all just wait and see. Everyone wants to play in Toronto, after all.
Buy a Mckenna leafs jersey then and let's see how that goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad