F Gavin McKenna - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2026 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Hell of a prospect but not sure if he’ll go #1 on draft day. A lot of time to dissect his game between now and the draft. Always a ton of hype for kids like this who produce the way they do early, but with the extra year of spotlight it could be detremental for him and his draft position.
At age 16 it’s all hype, at age 17 that hype is over and you need to produce, at age 18 when he gets drafted, he better have one of the best seasons ever in the WHL if he wants to stay at the top of draft boards as a winger who isn’t an elite skater. I’m leaning he’s a Taylor Hall like talent.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Hell of a prospect but not sure if he’ll go #1 on draft day. A lot of time to dissect his game between now and the draft. Always a ton of hype for kids like this who produce the way they do early, but with the extra year of spotlight it could be detremental for him and his draft position.
At age 16 it’s all hype, at age 17 that hype is over and you need to produce, at age 18 when he gets drafted, he better have one of the best seasons ever in the WHL if he wants to stay at the top of draft boards as a winger who isn’t an elite skater. I’m leaning he’s a Taylor Hall like talent.
Long way out obviously but 2026 looks weak, now that essentially everyone in this draft year is out of minor hockey and into Junior it doesn’t look like there’s another player near him at this point

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Long way out obviously but 2026 looks weak, now that essentially everyone in this draft year is out of minor hockey and into Junior it doesn’t look like there’s another player near him at this point
2026 looks strong... a bit confused why you think its weak?

I mean, Tigers alone have 3 helluva 2026 prospects; McKenna and the unicorn Ruck twins
the best twins since the Sedin twins.

i can easy name 10 strong, really good prospects from 2026 Draft

Reactions: Just Linda

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
2008 born kids we have yet to see what they look like in junior. Maybe a few of the Ontario kids can take a step up and challenge him? Maybe a Russian who we have very little info on? three years is a lot of time between now and the draft, I think McKenna’s position as a winger could be a hinderance come draft day.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
I didn’t think the teams I saw play at WHC17 looked particularly strong compared to past years
Those would be 2025 draft eligible players, except McKenna and Roobroeck. As it stands today, McKenna's challengers would be players from the recently completed Youth Olympic Games, as well as Swedes such as Viggo Bjorck. I'm sure there will be Russians as well, but I am not familiar with them outside of Fyodorov.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Di Iorio will be, and we’ll see what Fyodorov is like once he gets to the MHL. Those would be the two I see as true competition to him right now.

Reactions: Mathieukferland

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
That means nothing 2 years from now.
The hype will absolutely not be over at 17, he will still be a year away from the draft.

If he's 2+ ppg and plays a big role in the WJC for Canada next year, the hype will actually kick into overdrive. On a bigger scale he still has relatively low hype currently.

Aside from big prospect followers the general hockey fan still doesn't know much if anything about him. That would change with a strong D-1 WJC performance

Reactions: Dominance

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
His pts/gm is now basically identical to Bedard in his 16 year old season. It's almost shocking really. Way more assists vs goals, and on a more talented team but still:
Bedard:
62 5149100
Mckenna:

Nobody else even close as 16's in the whl since the 80's. Yeah i said the 80's, the 1980's !!

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
His pts/gm is now basically identical to Bedard in his 16 year old season. It's almost shocking really. Way more assists vs goals, and on a more talented team but still:
Bedard:
Mckenna:

Nobody else even close as 16's in the whl since the 80's. Yeah i said the 80's, the 1980's !!
that may be true, but Tigers are one of the youngest teams in the WHL/CHL, that Bedard's team was way older - also Gavin started the season as a 15 year old ;)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I know this probably sounds insane but... stat line of 150-200 points next season
for Gavin isn't out of reach, why? well.. massive PP point production.

If they want, they can put special kind of 5 forwards 1st PP unit together and
create a PP unit with so much skill and basically everything,
that no one has ever seen anything like that in the CHL
(for the next 2 seasons)

Gavin McKenna (2026 Draft, future 1st overall pick )
Cayden Lindstrom (2024 Draft, projected to go top 5 - top 10)
Markus Ruck (2026 Draft, projected 1st round high pick)
Liam Ruck (2026 Draft, projected 1st round high pick)
Andrew Basha (2024 Draft, projected to go 15 - 30 )

even if Lindstrom doesn't return to the WHL; insert any of Mrsic (2024), Harsanyi (2025),
McCann (2025), Smith (2023), St. Martin (2023), Spilka (2024)
so much talent with that team

----

Connor Bedard scored almost 50 PP points last season
with that kind of players to put together if Tigers wants?...
who knows how many PP points does Gavin McKenna score

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Also, they get 2025 eligible B level goalie prospect Jordan Switzer too.
who isn't your tallest goalies, but at 6 foot 2, is enough.
- he improves their goaltending a lot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad