F Dmitri Rashevsky - Dynamo Moscow, KHL (2021, 146th, WPG)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Quite the goal scorer, though I can see the speed/pace concerns.

he is never going to be a speedster, I agree. But I think his skating is going to be sufficient for the nhl. What he does have going for him is that he is shifty and a good stickhandler. That play on his last goal shows that. I think he has enough upside to become a pretty good 2nd line forward.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Dynamo is rolling over the league. I am certainly going to the game when they are in town.

Reactions: hn777

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Oh my lord! Jets fans must be enthralled with this pick. Probably moreso than with the Lucius pick! I’m not much one for hype trains. But this unexpected start is certainly something to get excited about.
Maybe unexpected only somewhat as he was steadily climbing through the ranks. He has put together a very solid VHL season as a 19y.o. and a more than solid MHL season as a 18y.o.. Lack of exposure on national teams probably fools a little bit here.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
Maybe unexpected only somewhat as he was steadily climbing through the ranks. He has put together a very solid VHL season as a 19y.o. and a more than solid MHL season as a 18y.o.. Lack of exposure on national teams probably fools a little bit here.
I tend to agree, plus some physical development may have helped to reach his potential more since he seemed to have been very lanky ! forgetting the stats, how do the live viewings go ? is he looking as good as it seems or ?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Wrong math comrade. His very solid season came as a 20 y.o., and "more than solid" MHL season at 19, he is about to turn 21. Therefore his numbers are pretty crappy, especially in the MHL. That "more than solid" MHL season actually puts him in company with many guys who are having careers in Belarus or Poland. Most guys with KHL aspirations aren't playing in the MHL full-time by then.

When someone like Dorofeyev (they were born 20 days apart) was scoring 1,5 PPG in the MHL and having cup of tea in the KHL, Rashevsky was scoring 0,2 PPG in the MHL. When Dorofeyev played in the VHL last year most (both of us included) saw it as a disappointing turn of events for him, yet Rashevsky having a fairly similar VHL season is "very solid"? That's just double standards.

Rashevsky is definitely a very unexpected, late bloomer, not someone whom you can describe as "steadily climbing through ranks". His developmental progression is 2 years behind the usual curve for a high-end prospect.

Not that it matters now. It's actually kinda funny that if we were to make a redraft of the Russian 2019 draft class 2/3 top spots would (most likely) go to players that weren't picked in 2019 at all.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Wrong math comrade. His very solid season came as a 20 y.o., and "more than solid" MHL season at 19, he is about to turn 21. Therefore his numbers are pretty crappy, especially in the MHL. That "more than solid" MHL season actually puts him in company with many guys who are having careers in Belarus or Poland. Most guys with KHL aspirations aren't playing in the MHL full-time by then.

When someone like Dorofeyev (they were born 20 days apart) was scoring 1,5 PPG in the MHL and having cup of tea in the KHL, Rashevsky was scoring 0,2 PPG in the MHL. When Dorofeyev played in the VHL last year most (both of us included) saw it as a disappointing turn of events for him, yet Rashevsky having a fairly similar VHL season is "very solid"? That's just double standards.

Rashevsky is definitely a very unexpected, late bloomer, not someone whom you can describe as "steadily climbing through ranks". His developmental progression is 2 years behind the usual curve for a high-end prospect.

Not that it matters now. It's actually kinda funny that if we were to make a redraft of the Russian 2019 draft class 2/3 top spots would (most likely) go to players that weren't picked in 2019 at all.
That's no wrong math. He is now 20. He started those seasons at those ages. If we are splitting hairs then yes he was a 19-20 year old in the VHL and a 18-19 year old in the MHL. Does not change his production which was solid no matter the age. I did not say he was some phenom destroying those leagues, but scoring 44 goals(for the league lead) in 61 games in the MHL is pretty darn good even for a 19 year old. You are really selling his numbers under value there.

It has nothing to do with the fact that a lot of guys who have success in juniors can't carry it over. And different orgs have different policies(winks at SKA). Some players do play longer in the MHL, some don't. And let's not pretend like ALL the good ones are in the KHL by 19. That's simply not true.

Your comparison to Dorofeyev basically proves my point with Rashevskiy. He was steadily climbing up the ladder. Those guys often get overlooked while guys like Dorofeyev who have an early rise are under the microscope. And every step back is a disappointment. At this point Rashevskiy seems to have caught Dorofeyev and might be pulling away while the latter will probably dwell in the AHL for who knows how long. It is all about development curves. And I like the curves like the Rashevskiy one, when the guy is just steadily getting better year after year. Maybe not stealing all the headlines. Rashevskiy now certainly is and he deserves his spotlight.

And the last part: he is no high-end prospect still. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. If he carves out a good to great KHL career for himself it would be still great. It's not like him not becoming a NHL top liner would surprise me or should surprise anyone. Right now he is on the roll. Let's hope for him he can add to his game and continue getting better.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I tend to agree, plus some physical development may have helped to reach his potential more since he seemed to have been very lanky ! forgetting the stats, how do the live viewings go ? is he looking as good as it seems or ?
He has quick hands and a deadly shot. Playing more and more with the best center in the league who sits at 2,4PPG probably does inflate his numbers a bit, but who would blame the coach for putting a guy with Rashevskiy's shot on the line with Shipachyov or on the fisrt PP unit? And credit is due, you have to position yourself smart and be able to fire those shots against the KHL defence. Rashevskiy is very good at that. I also don't think the difference in speed between the KHL and the NHL is huge. He does look good. I will be able to tell more arte 8th October. That's when Dynamo comes visiting.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
You guys can quit pumping the brakes. We all know he’s the next Kaprizov

Reactions: SM

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
He looks good for a recent 5th rounder, although when you consider he'll be 21 in a week or so you sort've expect this kind of output. If he was drafted the first time eligible this would be his D+3

The Colonel

Jul 7, 2008
Even at almost 21 if for some reason the draft was now instead of a couple months back Rashevsky would go first round for sure. What he is doing is unexpected and impressive.

You are way off.

He looks good for a recent 5th rounder, although when you consider he'll be 21 in a week or so you sort've expect this kind of output. If he was drafted the first time eligible this would be his D+3

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
That's no wrong math. He is now 20. He started those seasons at those ages. If we are splitting hairs then yes he was a 19-20 year old in the VHL and a 18-19 year old in the MHL. Does not change his production which was solid no matter the age. I did not say he was some phenom destroying those leagues, but scoring 44 goals(for the league lead) in 61 games in the MHL is pretty darn good even for a 19 year old. You are really selling his numbers under value there.
No I'm not.... Look where the guys who posted similar numbers in the MHL at the age of 19 (or 18-19 if you prefer to put it like that even though that's kinda hilarious in his case) are. 70-80% of them are in the VHL or worse. I checked his comparables yesterday already when I wrote a post on the Jets board about him, I had a hunch I'm right from my general impressions but I wanted to make sure.

The part about steadily climbing the ladder is also some sort of stupid narrative. Most prospects steadily climb the ladder but it usually is:

D-1: begin playing in the MHL (Rashevsky still played U18)
Draft season: play and score ~1 PPG in the MHL (Rashevsky scored 0.2 PPG)
D+1: play in the VHL or KHL, dominate MHL if you are sent down there for a small number of games (Rashevsky spends the entire season there)

Everyone climbs the ladder, Rashevsky was just climbing it 2 steps behind. In addition to the fact, that he is pretty much as early birthdays as possible for his draft class. Dorofeyev's example was nothing special, I only used it because their birthdays are so close. Honestly, the main impression I'm getting from this is that you don't follow MHL very closely.

Also as a side note, he is born in October and that's ME who's splitting hairs if I call him whatever his age is for the remaining 7 months of the season past his birthday, not the other way around? :laugh: This is some next level of linguistic acrobatics.

Last edited:

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
U22 players in KHL history (minimum of 10 GP):

upload_2021-9-29_14-1-35.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad