F Cole Caufield - USNTDP Juniors, USHL (2019, 15th, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've seen him a few times, I don't follow the juniors rigorously. To say his skills won't transfer to the NHL is unfounded speculation. There's no reason to currently believe he will not be able to use his shot, his drive to the net, his ability to see the ice and pick the spot. His junior stats isn't all anyone talked about, his skill set was discussed multiple times, as a matter of fact it is his skill set that is accredited for his stats every time they are mentioned.

Where do I see him? If he adds a couple of more inches, bulks up a bit and works on his speed. Top 6, 40 goal guy easy.

Where did I say his skills wouldn’t translate to the NHL? I said scoring over a goal per game wouldn’t, so citing his stats as the basis for your opinion of him is a weak argument.

Most players do not add a couple of inches and improve their speed much comparatively to NHL players from the point they get drafted to when they reach the NHL, so I think you are yet another that thinks your team’s prospect will maximize their ceiling. Most wont. That’s not to say I think Caufield wont be a good player. I never said that. You objected to me saying that he was drafted in the correct range.

NHL

Sep 1, 2014
He may be small but he doesnt look weak. He has a bit of thickset to work with. Hopefuly he build up like Martin St-Louis

Reactions: HOPE and CapSpace

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Where did I say his skills wouldn’t translate to the NHL? I said scoring over a goal per game wouldn’t, so citing his stats as the basis for your opinion of him is a weak argument.
Here:
I think Caufield's style of play and stats has him over-discussed.

When people are talking more about junior stats than how a skill-set projects to the NHL, I think a player might be overrated.

It's easy to infer what you're saying without you saying it straight out. By saying he won't produce like he does now, calling him overrated, calling his stats over-discussed and taking issue with citing his stats as basis of an argument is weak, it makes it near impossible to deduce otherwise.

I know all about his stats. He's a good player. I don't refer to his junior stats. Why should I? It's a nice thing to back up an opinion about his skill-set, but it shouldn't be the basis of an opinion.
Junior stats are what is used to judge every player, that is the basis on which they are picked in the position they are in. To dismiss them as irrelevant is to dismiss the draft position and the entire draft process as irrelevant.

He's not going to score over 1GPG in the NHL.

Even if he doeS not score over a 1GPG, to be near a 1GPG will make him close to being one of the top players in the league and a steal at #15.

Most players do not add a couple of inches and improve their speed much comparatively to NHL players from the point they get drafted to when they reach the NHL,

He added an inch in the last year, he can still grow till he hits 21, so another couple of inches is not impossible. As for speed, we'll see, only time will tell.

so I think you are yet another that thinks your team’s prospect will maximize their ceiling. Most wont.
First round picks have a higher percentage of maximizing their ceiling, more so when they have obvious talent like Caufield. So while I choose to believe in his talents, you choose to doubt it. Time will tell which of us is right.

That’s not to say I think Caufield wont be a good player. I never said that. You objected to me saying that he was drafted in the correct range.

I did not object to you saying he was drafted in the correct range, I objected to your reasoning as to why he should be drafted in that range. You dismissed his production as irrelevant to judging his skills but provided no other means of judging him other than your own opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadienna

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
In all seriousness, MTL's last "legit" high end sniper is probably Stephane Richer.

Right, as if Pacioretty never existed.

Did Patches ever 40 goals? Howsabout 50? Max was a fine sniper but without hitting those markers he wasn't truly elite. Now Caufield may never hit those lofty numbers, but he might and he'd then be the first to hit 50 since mullet-man Stephane Richer.

Reactions: Peter Puck

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Did Patches ever 40 goals? Howsabout 50? Max was a fine sniper but without hitting those markers he wasn't truly elite. Now Caufield may never hit those lofty numbers, but he might and he'd then be the first to hit 50 since mullet-man Stephane Richer.

If you're telling me Patches wasn't a high end sniper for us I don't know what to say, dude was a machine in his prime. No one has been hitting 50 goals in years apart from OV and now Draisaitl. Richer played in an era when his 50 goals was good for 8th best in the league.

Reactions: Gains and covfefe

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto

I mean, top goal scorers in the entire NHL from 2013-2014 to 2016-2017 were:

1. Ovechkin - 187 (wow)
2. Pavelski - 145
3. Crosby - 144
4. Pacioretty - 141
5. Tarasenko - 137

Not sure what a guy needs to do to fit your definition of 'elite', but unless you were saying only 3 players over the course of 4 full seasons were 'elite', then I think Pacioretty fits the bill, or at least did in his prime as a Hab.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Alex DeBrincat texted Caufield - told him go prove them all wrong..gotta love that shit!!! :yo:

Caufield is going to be a star NHL player, I stood out on that ledge practically alone for a few years with DeBrincat, I will stand out on that same damn ledge with CC...enjoy him Montreal, just like the Hawks you won't believe where you got him at and can't see your team without him moving forward!

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Could certainly be a homerun pick, especially at #15. Had him at #5, but I'm no expert. Just love offensive talent.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Can he crack the lineup this year? Can he mimic Debrincat? A very interesting prospect for sure...
I think he could bury a lot of pucks next year, if teamed with two big and skilled line mates. The problem is that MTL is small and you leave the rest of the lines extremely small if you use your two big guys to surround him. I can see MTL wanting to draft the best skill but not the best situation for both parties. He would have been ideal for a team with big and skilled guys up front.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Converting his stats in my software to the OHL with average linemates would have projected him at a 60-41-30-71 season (not including international play), 60-43-30-73 removing international play.

Last edited:

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Converting his stats in my software to the OHL with average linemates would have projected him at a 60-41-30-71 season (not including international play).
That seems a bit low. I think he would’ve had more (but then again I don’t have any kind of software or algorithm to back that up lol) just out of curiosity did you do one for Hughes and what did he get?

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
That seems a bit low. I think he would’ve had more (but then again I don’t have any kind of software or algorithm to back that up lol) just out of curiosity did you do one for Hughes and what did he get?
Approximately 60-35-65-100 this year, with 60-25-60-85 last season.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
This is tin foil hat territory.
The USDP team won 6 games with 11 goals or more versus USHL teams this season (that is over a fifth of their games vs that league), obviously, you would expect a substantial fewer amount of point if Caufield were to have played in a harder league which much worse relative linemates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad