Extended Matthews vs Stutzle going forward?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Would you rather have Extended Matthews or Stutzle going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
I'd want my players to win Stanley Cups, not individual trophies. But if winning things like the Hart/Lindsay and putting up a 60 goal season is your priority, Matthews has those credentials.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I'd want my players to win Stanley Cups, not individual trophies. But if winning things like the Hart/Lindsay and putting up a 60 goal season is your priority, Matthews has those credentials.
Stutzle won a cup? last time I checked neither won one yet. if you prefer Stuztle more thats fine but that's a weird hot take. I mean who else are the options that won Cups?
last I checked Stutzle hasnt won a cup or any individual trophies

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Stutzle won a cup? last time I checked neither won one yet. if you prefer Stuztle more thats fine but that's a weird hot take. I mean who else are the options that won Cups?
last I checked Stutzle hasnt won a cup or any individual trophies
Matthews has had multiple opportunities to succeed in the playoffs. Stutzle is a playoff unknown.

Given one is a documented playoff failure and one isn't, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the guy untested.

• Haha
Reactions: Metroid

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
So, what's the deal? Why isn't he even close this year?
Does it matter? It doesn't automatically incapacitate him from ever winning a Rocket again. The fact that he's had back to back rockets (2nd in convincing fashion with 60 goals in 73 games) would further provide evidence that he's more likely to get a 3rd.

Or are we supposed to value the potential of accomplishing it more over the players that have just done it?

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Matthews has had multiple opportunities to succeed in the playoffs. Stutzle is a playoff unknown.

Given one is a documented playoff failure and one isn't, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the guy untested.
Couldn't you think of anything better than what you said? atleast wait for Ottawa to even play in the playoffs or make it somewhere in the playoffs before you give Stutzle the benefit of the doubt to being a cup winning player.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Does it matter? It doesn't automatically incapacitate him from ever winning a Rocket again. The fact that he's had back to back rockets (2nd in convincing fashion with 60 goals in 73 games) would further provide evidence that he's more likely to get a 3rd.

Or are we supposed to value the potential of accomplishing it more over the players that have just done it?
Okay? And Stutzle having the best 20yr (D+3) old season of anyone not named McDavid, Crosby or Ovechkin is also pretty good evidence that he's going to be pretty freaking good going forward.

Both players are playing at a similar level this season (although a small edge to Stutzle). Both players have evidence that they will be even better in upcoming seasons (with an edge to Matthews). But, does Matthews' evidence justify the ~$5M contract difference for the next 8 years?

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
If you're in the position of the Senators, Stutzle is probably a better fit for what you're trying to achieve as a young rebuilding team that isn't quite a playoff team yet. He's 21, on an affordable deal that allows you to shuffle cap around. Ottawa can afford to gamble on him becoming whatever it is he becomes. Looking good so far, that's for sure.

Toronto's trying to compete for the Stanley Cup right now. Matthews is the far more decorated player at this point and it's not particularly close. He brought home a lot of that hardware just last season. I wouldn't swap the two, because Matthews is a better fit for where we are in our contention cycle. He's also just 25. There aren't many players at that age with those kind of personal achievements.

Mar 26, 2010
What's with these Matthews vs Stutzle threads? Why all sudden are these 2 being compared?
They are being compared because Matthews has been injured all season, and his #’s have been down. That is the only reason why, kicking someone when they are down.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
They are being compared because Matthews has been injured all season, and his #’s have been down. That is the only reason why, kicking someone when they are down.
That's what they do, but why should we really be surprised? Matthews is always the worse player in these threads and now that he's 1 year away from UFA it's only going to get worse.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That's what they do, but why should we really be surprised? Matthews is always the worse player in these threads and now that he's 1 year away from UFA it's only going to get worse.
I think suggesting the bolded in this case if someone votes for the other guy isn't quite being accurate. The parameters of the discussion include salary as well, not just "who is better".

The bolded would be accurate if the OP stated that both players were going to be paid the exact same amount, for the exact same term. But in this case, part of the allure of the Stutzle vote isn't that he's "better" than Matthews, it's that Matthews isn't $5-ish million per year better.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Let's see...

The reigning Hart, Ted Lindsay, Rocket winner extended... or playoff virgin Tim Stutzle?

Not close, got to go with the player that's never missed the playoffs.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
You can always tell when a guy is on a bit of a roll without knowing anything about the NHL.

Just wait for the "Player X" vs Matthews thread.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I think suggesting the bolded in this case if someone votes for the other guy isn't quite being accurate. The parameters of the discussion include salary as well, not just "who is better".

The bolded would be accurate if the OP stated that both players were going to be paid the exact same amount, for the exact same term. But in this case, part of the allure of the Stutzle vote isn't that he's "better" than Matthews, it's that Matthews isn't $5-ish million per year better.
well I mean lets be real. if this was in the offseason and it's for sure clear Matthews wont extend. you would be down to trade for Stutzle. if Matthews will 100% extend I dont think u make that trade.
this is classic both teams say no due to the position they are in.

Matthews should be the better player by the end of both their careers though.

Personally I wouldn't be very happy if we traded Matthews for Stutzle because I believe he will likely re-sign,
I dont think Id be happy with anything for Matthews to be 100% honest

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Matthews is better but not 4-5m$ better.

He's way more than 4-5M better.

He's playing this season with an injured wrist and still having a better season than Tim Stutzle who's playing on the team with the most powerplays in the NHL and having his career season. Toronto is 20th in PP opportunities.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Xspyrit

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Let's see...

The reigning Hart, Ted Lindsay, Rocket winner extended... or playoff virgin Tim Stutzle?

Not close, got to go with the player that's never missed the playoffs.
I'd also much prefer Jesse Puljujarvi over William Nylander, the 2nd round virgin.

Mar 26, 2010
Yup lol

oh well. Lets See what happens in the playoffs.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
He's way more than 4-5M better.

He's playing this season with an injured wrist and still having a better season than Tim Stutzle who's playing on the team with the most powerplays in the NHL. Toronto is 20th in PP opportunities.
Tim Stutzle - 1.2PPG as a 21 year old.
Matthews - 1.12 PPG Right now.

Good argument on PP... Oh wait.

Stutzle playing 3:54 minutes per game on PP
Matthews playing 3:36 minutes per game. Man those 18 seconds a game must be the real issue.

So Stutzle has more goals and a higher PPG and 4 years younger, and Matthews is having a better season?

I'd love to live in a world of rainbows and butterflies. Show me the way.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Tim Stutzle - 1.2PPG as a 21 year old.
Matthews - 1.12 PPG Right now.

Good argument on PP... Oh wait.

Stutzle playing 3:54 minutes per game on PP
Matthews playing 3:36 minutes per game. Man those 18 seconds a game must be the real issue.

So Stutzle has more goals and a higher PPG and 4 years younger, and Matthews is having a better season?

I'd love to live in a world of rainbows and butterflies. Show me the way.

Matthews has publicly stated he’s playing with an injured wrist. Matthews doesn’t play on the team running away with power plays. Matthews is better defensively.

Stutzle has more PP points because of opportunity though.

You do live in a world of rainbows of butterflies. You’re arguing Stutzle is better even when he’s losing the second poll in a row to Matthews including contracts.

Last edited:
Reactions: choi

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
A better poll question might be:

Who wins a playoff round first?

Matthews in a Leaf jersey or Stuetzle in a Sens jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad