Speculation: Expansion Draft - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Don't two d-men have to be exposed? Who would the other be...Stuart and ? Protect Trouba, Buff, Enstrom and Myers.

I'm aware Hank has a source saying Enstrom waived. Just curious, that's all.

2F Matthias Dano
1D Stuart
1G Hutch

Whileee

May 29, 2010
No. Stuart qualifies as a 40/70 player

Yup. Jets played Stuart several games at the start of last season to qualify him for the xd, then shelved him until injuries forced them to put him back in the lineup.

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Maybe the Jets aren't protecting Myers?

If they are not protecting 4 D-men this makes more sense unless they are sure he is healthy and will come back and play. Also I think it makes more sense to expose the 3rd best RHD than the 2nd best LHD on the team.

However, as much as i would hate to see any of Armia, Lowry or Matty P. go I think their replacements already exist in the org.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Which thread was this mentioned in ?

I'll cross-post this here, since the question has been asked a few times, and the threads are a bit interrelated:

No big surprise, but I have it from a very reliable source that Enstrom has in fact agreed to waive his NMC.

Good on Enstrom for helping out the team. He was under zero obligation to waive, but obviously did so to help out the Jets / TNSE.

Should be interesting to see what happens with the protection list now.

Is this official? Or just connecting dots based on the Dano signing?

It's based on Hank's message. I trust Hank, and if he states he has a reliable source, then I think it's fairly certain it's a done deal.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ehh... Here's the thing with Chris Tanev: he's good at even strength defence, like, pretty damn good. Last 4 seasons cumulative GAR, CTanev vs Enstrom:

UoUoDMX.png

The thing with Enstrom always has been that he was a terrific all-around defenceman: could provide offence, even strength and power play, and is generally stalwart on defence. His offence quite literally evaporated this year, but, what many assume and are most likely correct to do so is that this is an anomaly and he is likely to regain some of that. It might not be like his 09/10, 10/11, and 11/12 seasons where he was putting up 3s for EVO and sometimes PPO, but it shouldn't be negative like it was this year.

Tanev had quite a year and Toby had an off year. I think looking at a weighted 3 year sample, like Own the Puck does is probably a better method than putting everything on the one year.

The important part of my post that you quoted though was this, " A precise and detailed comparison of the 2 was completely unnecessary to my point. Toby is not a liability." I'm in no way attempting to make a case that Enstrom is as good or as valuable as Tanev. I simply used Tanev to provide a contrast to the posters implications that Toby is a liability and should be moved, damn the consequences.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't know what's going on with that! :eek:

Yep! My point was the comparison of Enstrom to Tanev was incorrect. You are 100% correct otherwise.

I'm not ready to concede that. We can look at other statistical comparisons that show they are very close to one another. Which I did. Neither is definitive. The truth is probably at some point in between the 2.

Arguing this point was, and is entirely unnecessary for my original point and I don't want to argue it. But I also don't want to concede that there is a massive difference between the 2. Toby is underrated and Tanev is overrated, IMO

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is very true.

I know guys who hated Enstrom from day 1 because he was small and have viewed him with a "gotcha" mentality since the Jets 2.0 arrived. From day one Toby always had the best gap control of any Jets defender, he always retrieved the puck and outlet passed it better than any other defender. He defended less because of how skilled he was at defending and transitioning the puck yet the dum kids in the class never noticed. It was the same guys who would not notice Stu back off a forward 15 to 20 feet and just concede the zone entry.....as long as Stu blocked a shot THAT NEVER SHOULD HAVE OCCURRED and grimaced on the bench from taking one for the team my mullet head buddies thought he was god. Toby would front Perry in the slot and deny him the puck to create a non envent and get no love......Stu would cross check Perry but the puck would get through to him and the scoring chance would happen while he was getting roughed up and my buddies would gush at Stu's brave yet ineffective inefficient physicality.

At least Atlanta fans were smart enough to figure out Toby was an excellent defender. :naughty::popcorn:

:laugh: I never 'hated' Toby but when I arrived on this board I was highly skeptical of his value. I assumed it was a matter of his offense compensating for his defensive ineffectiveness. Without the offense he would be garbage. Guess I was wrong. Fortunately some posters here straightened me out. :laugh:

I still see him getting beaten or making bad plays. If you look for them you will find them for every player. It is in the nature of hockey. But watch Toby closely and you will see far more good plays than bad. If he was 2-3 inches taller and 20-25 lbs heavier he would be a god.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Blue Jackets are off their rocker

"please take Ryan Murray, a 1st round pick, and a prospect so we can keep Jack Joh..."

"DONE!"

#ERATicated

That was about my reaction to that story. :laugh:

The difference between Josh 'Who' Anderson and Matt Calvert is a 1st plus a prospect? In what universe?

Honestly I don't think LVK would take Johnson or Korpisalo although it might be close. Neither of them is close to worth the sum of Calvert + 1st, never mind the unnamed prospect.

If true that would set the bar incredibly high for 'leave my favourite guy alone' deals. No way am I giving up Dano + #13 to save Lowry or even MP. Just let them go.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I believe the deal includes the Clarkson contract

Just saw that at the end of the article "The deal may include veteran forward David Clarkson and his $5.25 million cap hit". That makes a large difference. The 'may include' is a little wishy washy. Without that this deal would be nuts.

Its hard to put a value in draft picks on that contract. It is 3 more years at 5.25mil but more importantly, CBJ are close to the cap and have a couple of raises to hand out.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
That was about my reaction to that story. :laugh:

The difference between Josh 'Who' Anderson and Matt Calvert is a 1st plus a prospect? In what universe?

Honestly I don't think LVK would take Johnson or Korpisalo although it might be close. Neither of them is close to worth the sum of Calvert + 1st, never mind the unnamed prospect.

If true that would set the bar incredibly high for 'leave my favourite guy alone' deals. No way am I giving up Dano + #13 to save Lowry or even MP. Just let them go.

OK, but since it is looking increasingly confirmed that Enstrom has waived to be exposed, what if we are giving up Dano and our #13 so LV doesn't take Enstrom? If that's the case, I will seriously lose my ****.

JBM

Feb 1, 2017
Canada
I'm thinking there's a deal worked out with LV so they don't take Enstrom.

Unless we know we're signing Smith or have a trade in place for a LHD, there's too much risk leaving him out there for LV to take.

I'm thinking we're sending an incentive pick to Vegas to pick Dano and leave Enstrom but we'll see!

Like Nobody Important said though it better not be our 13th OVR. I couldn't see us doing that though

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
:laugh: I never 'hated' Toby but when I arrived on this board I was highly skeptical of his value. I assumed it was a matter of his offense compensating for his defensive ineffectiveness. Without the offense he would be garbage. Guess I was wrong. Fortunately some posters here straightened me out. :laugh:

I still see him getting beaten or making bad plays. If you look for them you will find them for every player. It is in the nature of hockey. But watch Toby closely and you will see far more good plays than bad. If he was 2-3 inches taller and 20-25 lbs heavier he would be a god.

Hey Mort its all good.....you have kept an open mind since you arrived and been open to change if people provided compelling information. I admit I was a bit old school when I arrived and was surprised how much there was to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad