GDT: Exhibition game - Canada Vs Russia

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
A good win for Canada, but not a dominant one by any means. If this team compares favorably to the 2005 team, it wasn't obvious tonight. Still, a deserving win.

For Russia, all of us fans were waiting with anticipation to see what we would get, since Larionov had never coached a game before. Would it be an Igor Larionov cliche, or would we see something new and wonderful! A Larionov cliche is what we got. No physicality, no defensive pressure in the neutral zone, no offensive pressure on the net in the Canadian zone. What we saw was the team constantly moving the puck backward. Regrouping or rewinding in the defensive zone. You can't score goals from the defensive zone, and they showed an inability to control the puck for any extended time in the offensive zone. So for Russian fans, we have to prepare ourselves once again for the fight for the Bronze Medal.

Reactions: ViD

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
A good win for Canada, but not a dominant one by any means. If this team compares favorably to the 2005 team, it wasn't obvious tonight. Still, a deserving win.

For Russia, all of us fans were waiting with anticipation to see what we would get, since Larionov had never coached a game before. Would it be an Igor Larionov cliche, or would we see something new and wonderful! A Larionov cliche is what we got. No physicality, no defensive pressure in the neutral zone, no offensive pressure on the net in the Canadian zone. What we saw was the team constantly moving the puck backward. Regrouping or rewinding in the defensive zone. You can't score goals from the defensive zone, and they showed an inability to control the puck for any extended time in the offensive zone. So for Russian fans, we have to prepare ourselves once again for the fight for the Bronze Medal.
In my mind Canada is the favourite but best 2 goalies are Knight and Askarov and both those teams are really good. 1 game and a hot goalie can do a lot. Can't say I'm excited to play Russia at all and we'll probably get the backup.lol

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
What we saw was the team constantly moving the puck backward. Regrouping or rewinding in the defensive zone.
Actually I like it more than the traditional "dump and chase" concept, so the focus is on puck possession now. A bit refreshing.
You can't score goals from the defensive zone, and they showed an inability to control the puck for any extended time in the offensive zone.
I think the defense is trying to make more breakaway passes (seems like it might work assuming that our forwards start scoring one on one goals)
So for Russian fans, we have to prepare ourselves once again for the fight for the Bronze Medal.
Prepare for Bronze, but hope for Gold. This tourney is very short and unpredictable. Anything can happen.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

Who is saying this team compares favorably to the 2005 team? They aren't anywhere close to that level.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought this was a good low scoring game. Canada kept Russia out with superior defense, Russia kept Canada out with superior goaltending. When Russia took their goalie out that gave Canada the clear advantage. Both offenses need to up their games, but it’s only one exhibition. It’s a shame to see injuries in exhibitions. Hopefully Dach is okay.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Not a bad game. Would’ve liked to see the Russians play a bit better considering a lot of their guys have been playing hockey in the KHL whereas the Canadian players haven’t played, but I think Canada is just that much stronger.

Askarov had a great save off that Canuck that Byram set up but other than that looked pretty shakey. Abysmal rebound control.

Dach looked like garbage, but hopefully he’s fine. Byfield looked much better than last year, but that’s not saying much. Byram looked dangerous in the offensive zone but is trying to do too much and is still poor defensively. Levi looked great in goal too.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I'm just happy to be a part of HFBoards where you don't even need to wait until WJC for that, might as well be a summer pre-season game. Actually, if you are a real expert two periods is a stretch as well, few GIFs will suffice.

To be fair, it's a step up from 90% of more casual hockey fans where as single article without any video sway their opinion.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Just re watched the game again. Byram is so bad in his own zone. He got beat wide multiple times on plays he shouldn't have, they need to separate drysdale and him to give them both more freedom.

Sucks about Dach but to be honest he didn't impress me as much as I was expecting him but I think my expectations were way too high. I thought he was going to be a man amongst boys. Hope he is okay.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

That was your takeaway from a 1- 0 loss to the team that is the prohibitive favorite to win the tournament?

In a game where both teams were likely playing very vanilla without showing too much and keeping most of their cards off the table?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
My thoughts exactly. Drysdale will be heavily stagnated if they keep him paired with Byram.

Personally, I believe that Drysdale's strengths are more in his two way game than as a pure puck rushing defenseman. I don't think he is necessarily miscast in the current pairing.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Poehling is a surefire stud! #1 habs prospect over Caufield!

For our kids' 2019 spring break, we took a family vacation to Eastern Canada (Toronto, Montreal & Quebec). It didn't work out for us to watch Leafs v. Montreal in Toronto, but we did see the game in Montreal where Poehling scored his hat trick.
We flew alllll the way from San Ramon, California (birthplace of Austen Matthews) and I wanted my kids to hold up a sign saying: "We flew from San Ramon (birthplace of AM34) to watch our 1st Leafs game" but my kids were having NONE of it! Nothing got them to agree to do it, and since I'm a middle aged adult, I thought it'd look weird/creepy if I did it, so we never did hold up any signs. :(

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
That was your takeaway from a 1- 0 loss to the team that is the prohibitive favorite to win the tournament?

In a game where both teams were likely playing very vanilla without showing too much and keeping most of their cards off the table?

So you are suggesting that by tomorrow against the US, we might see Larionov put his cards on the table, with significantly different strategies and tactics? That seems unlikely to me, given the thrown-together nature of this tournament and the short time frames to produce results. It seems that it would be more practical to work on perfecting what it is you plan to do.

Reactions: NyQuil

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I thought this was a good low scoring game. Canada kept Russia out with superior defense, Russia kept Canada out with superior goaltending. When Russia took their goalie out that gave Canada the clear advantage. Both offenses need to up their games, but it’s only one exhibition. It’s a shame to see injuries in exhibitions. Hopefully Dach is okay.

Agreed. Not much scoring but good pace and lots of physicality as is expected in a Canada v Russia game.

Tight checking and good goaltending from both sides. Both teams will improve from this game, likely the two best teams in the tournament.

Goaltending was the biggest question mark for Canada heading in and Levi held the fort well. It was good to see. Losing Dach on a routine type of hit sucks, but injuries are part of the sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad