Rumor: Jonathan Huberdeau is open to waiving his NMC to go to a contender

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bond

May 10, 2012
Not much of a rumour. He is stuck in Calgary until he has a few years left and then maybe he can be dumped reasonably

That's gotta be the worst contract in the league, right?
Pretty close between him and Nurse

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
At the top of the link.

View attachment 909291

Rumours from where? Because the Duhatschek article they cite doesn't mention anywhere that Huberdeau wants to be traded or waive him NMC. That's not to say that Flames' veterans want to stick around, they probably don't. It's that the article you linked to either isn't properly citing where these rumours are from or is making it up.

"According to rumors" is not a source.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
This reminds me a bit of the Phil Kessel situation. People weren't thinking he was gonna get traded and he eventually did. Toronto had very little interest and had to retain. I think Huberdeau needs to play well this year and the Flames may have to retain a lot and ALSO maybe add some bad money back. But good players still have value, especially if you can get some retention done with one or more teams. Maybe I'm just an optimist but I just don't see how a 115 point player disappears like that. 115 points isn't all because Barkov.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Mind you, there are only 8 teams with that much Cap space, well 7 discounting Boston, one of them is already Calgary, none of the rest are contenders. I don't think any team takes him at 7x$5.25M... certainly not a team he's waiving the NMC for. And Calgary isn't taking the 50% retention for free either. So it's kind of a moot point. He is completely un-movable.
Teams would shuffle things around to acquire a top line forward for ~$5M. The term wouldn’t be a concern at that point at all.

I agree with the second part though; no team in the league is going to retain that much money for that long, so moot indeed.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
If Calgary ate 50% of his salary and attached a 1st round pick and a prospect you might get a bit of interest from someone like Pittsburgh. They did the soft rebuild type deals taking back Glass and Kevin Hayes. That's about as close to a "contender" as I can see Huberdeau getting.

That's not to suggest Calgary should do that deal, but that's where I see the value
Right now the Flames need the contract to reach the floor (If my math is right) so they don't need to attack a valuable pick in order to get rid of him yet.

Maybe in a couple of years when the team starts to mature a bit...

Barsky

Jun 22, 2010
Maybe the Flames could beg the league for an exemption to let them retain 75%, only then could they find a taker, maybe

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
If Calgary ate 50% of his salary and attached a 1st round pick and a prospect you might get a bit of interest from someone like Pittsburgh. They did the soft rebuild type deals taking back Glass and Kevin Hayes. That's about as close to a "contender" as I can see Huberdeau getting.

That's not to suggest Calgary should do that deal, but that's where I see the value.

A 5-7 mil Huberdeau is still a reasonable contract. An 8+ AAV Huberdeau is the issue because he's overpaid. But he can still contribute He's still a top 9 player and at around 5-7 mil, he'd be an excellent piece to inquire about, in the same way Pittsburgh did with Phil Kessel in 2016-2017 when they won the cup with him by creating a third threat to feast on other team's bottom 9 after Crosby and Malkin's lines.

The Flames would get assets as of right now if Huberdeau was retained 30-50%. It's around the <25% retention where the value is future considerations or asset added on top. If a situation where the Flames have to add assets or retain heavily, I get why the Flames wouldn't bother with a trade. Flames also have the cap space to facilitate trades too, so they should be able to weaponize it to ensure they don't have to add assets to Huberdeau to move him.

Honestly though, I've liked his attitude even through his struggles. I really do hope we figure out a way to bring his production back up past PPG.

OP's post is junk though. That hockey rumors website seems to like twisting legit information into fanfics. Plus it's quoting a comment that seems like an obvious thing. Who wouldn't waive an NMC to go to a contender? That type of speculation is about as accurate as, "If given a chance, would you like to get a chance to score more points?"

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Ya, I'd love to play for a contender too.

Huberdeau needs to play well and rebuild his value before he gets to say anything about a trade.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Flames, Ducks and Sharks have pretty much no shot at the playoffs.

I always find these takes rather silly. The odds certainly don't favor those teams but we see surprises every year.

Washington made the playoffs last year for crying out loud.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
There is like 80% of the league that couldn't and wouldn’t touch the contract simply because of the signing bonuses

It’s way too capital intensive
Look at $9.5 million hits on July 1st that have yet to occur

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
If he really wants to play for a contender he should mutually terminate his contract but something tells me he won’t want to give up a guarantee of 42 million dollars. Calgary isn’t retaining 50% of that contract for 4 seasons, especially since they probably won’t get elite assets in return.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
If true Conroy should be burning up the phone lines. that is a get out of jail free card if you can find a taker.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Maximum 50% retention puts him on a 7x$5.25M contract? I doubt there is any team in the NHL which takes even that for free? :dunno:
There definitely is. He’d be a good replacement for Marner. Huberdeau 50% retained and Weeger for Marner++ is a deal id make. I’m not sure what the + would be tho maybe Knies?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I always find these takes rather silly. The odds certainly don't favor those teams but we see surprises every year.

Washington made the playoffs last year for crying out loud.

The poster was suggesting that the division was wide open, so Huberdeau shouldn’t feel like he doesn’t have a chance. To me that suggests a situation where every team has a decent chance. I don’t think that’s the case here. Surprises do happen but the reality is it’s pretty unlikely

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Even at 30 % he is untradeable.
50 %? Now we talking

To Edmonton:
Huberdeau (30% retained) - 7.350 x 7yrs

To Calgary:
Nurse - 9.250 x 6yrs

Won't happen but Edmonton does this IMO. To be fair - I think what you meant was to received positive value (Nurse is obviously negative). In that case, I think they need to eat at least 40% of his deal, bringing him to down to 6.300. Even then, I don't think they'd get anything substantial. That's more of the 'free - pickup only' number.

Bond

May 10, 2012
It could insinuate that he's looking/wants to be moved.
I am sure he wants to be moved but knows there is about zero chance. I am also sure the Flames would happily move him if they didn't have to spend a ton of assets.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Maximum 50% retention puts him on a 7x$5.25M contract? I doubt there is any team in the NHL which takes even that for free? :dunno:

I think a lot of teams take him on at 5 million, easily

however I doubt Calgary is going to commit to that

It needs to be a smaller retention from Calgary and taking on another overpaid player

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
He has kind of dug himself a hole the last couple of seasons with his performance results. At 31 even with retention he would be a hard sell at the moment. Maybe if he has a decent bounce back season and the Flames retain they could make something happen.

Bond

May 10, 2012
To Edmonton:
Huberdeau (30% retained) - 7.350 x 7yrs

To Calgary:
Nurse - 9.250 x 6yrs

Won't happen but Edmonton does this IMO. To be fair - I think what you meant was to received positive value (Nurse is obviously negative). In that case, I think they need to eat at least 40% of his deal, bringing him to down to 6.300. Even then, I don't think they'd get anything substantial. That's more of the 'free - pickup only' number.
No thanks. I'd rather the Flames just ride out the Huberdeau contract than retain for him and take Nurse

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad