Rumor: Jonathan Huberdeau is open to waiving his NMC to go to a contender

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sideline

May 23, 2004
If Calgary ate 50% of his salary and attached a 1st round pick and a prospect you might get a bit of interest from someone like Pittsburgh. They did the soft rebuild type deals taking back Glass and Kevin Hayes. That's about as close to a "contender" as I can see Huberdeau getting.

That's not to suggest Calgary should do that deal, but that's where I see the value.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
He isn’t as bad as his stats suggest… but that contract is f***ing terrible. You can’t possibly expect anyone to retain so much for so long. Lots of teams would take him at only 25% retained… but not for that long, and no one else wants to carry the rest for that long.

Reactions: banks

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Lol, you’re getting too crazy now. A top line forward for $5.25M? Every team in the league takes that and runs.
Mind you, there are only 8 teams with that much Cap space, well 7 discounting Boston, one of them is already Calgary, none of the rest are contenders. I don't think any team takes him at 7x$5.25M... certainly not a team he's waiving the NMC for. And Calgary isn't taking the 50% retention for free either. So it's kind of a moot point. He is completely un-movable.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
He's probably still a PPG player on a decent team. A younger team looking to contend in the near future (Buffalo?) with space would probably offer more than junk.
I didn’t realize Buffalo still had 7 million in cap space

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Lol is he also open to waiving about 35% of his cap hit? Cause at the money he is making nobody is going to be interested. And I can't imagine Calgary being interested in paying him like $3.5M a year to play on a different team.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Maximum 50% retention puts him on a 7x$5.25M contract? I doubt there is any team in the NHL which takes even that for free? :dunno:
Probably need a third wheel for retention. He’s not a bad player but god only knows which direction his game is about to go from here

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
Even if the cap is retained sufficiently, there’s a bit too much term remaining. With the prior season he just had and at his age, way too much uncertainty and risk.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Unless he becomes a PPG+ player again I think Huberdeau’s only shot at going to a contender is a material breach and a termination of contract and freedom. So throw away millions and millions to revive a career elsewhere at the expense of a massive contract. Or keep making that money but stuck in purgatory for the functional remainder of your career.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I'm also ready to divorce if Scarlet Johansson would marry me and take care of whatever financial obligation stemming from my divorce, I guess.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
This meme is appropriate.....

daead9e7149d714669f2a011c93b7d4a.webp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad