GDT: Exhibition game - Canada Vs Russia

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
That was a very boring Canada - Russia third period. Canada seemed tired, Russia seemed unorganized.

Not impressed with Russia’s offense, could barely circle the puck in the offensive zone, most chances came off breakout passes and even then couldn’t capitalize. Chinakhov alone had 3 great chances and could not bury it.

Defenders losing the puck in the offensive zone is nothing new but still very concerning.

Power play traditionally horrible

Will be interesting to see how we look against the USA.

From what I witnessed the U.S.A. versus Finns...

If Russia plays like they did against Canada against the USA with Askarov's tending...

Should easily win...

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
And if you want to use the word asinine - is playing in the NHL playoffs and winning a series , then losing a series not big game experience? What the hell gets bigger than that? Certainly not a junior tournament.
I think you should just stop.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Watched the replay of Dach and it didn't look that bad. I didn't like Dach running to the change room but I think he'll be fine. Just a jammed wrist.

Reactions: jj cale

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Basicslly everything is pushed a year back from the original scheduling for locations. Which makes sense for all the people that bought tickets for this event that couldn’t go.

So Edmonton/RD is hosting 2020-2021 as a....test run for 2021-2022?

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Such a great game by most of the players with the exception of Holloway and Harley they both looked weak and Byram way too much overplaying the puck. I feel terrible for Dach he was playing so well. I hope it’s not too bad so he can return to help the team and the Hawks this year

Reactions: Leviathan899

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Such a great game by most of the players with the exception of Holloway and Harley they both looked weak and Byram way too much overplaying the puck. I feel terrible for Dach he was playing so well. I hope it’s not too bad so he can return to help the team and the Hawks this year

I thought Holloway had a good (if slightly quiet) game apart from the penalty early on.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Pretty boring third period. If you told me beforehand that Levi would post a shutout I'd take it. Can't complain but he didn't face a lot of sustained pressure and Russia missed some really good chances. Byram was certainly an adventure in that game. McMichael was solid. I imagine that both teams can be a lot better than that.

Interesting to see what happens with Dach. It's a big loss if he's out. Some of Canada's big guns at forward were fairly quiet in that game but that will have to change quickly.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Pretty boring third period. If you told me beforehand that Levi would post a shutout I'd take it. Can't complain but he didn't face a lot of sustained pressure and Russia missed some really good chances. Byram was certainly an adventure in that game. McMichael was solid. I imagine that both teams can be a lot better than that.

Interesting to see what happens with Dach. It's a big loss if he's out. Some of Canada's big guns at forward were fairly quiet in that game but that will have to change quickly.

Get better every day . :thumbu:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Watched the replay of Dach and it didn't look that bad. I didn't like Dach running to the change room but I think he'll be fine. Just a jammed wrist.
That might work to calm the nerves somewhat but the way it looks on camera really doesn't tell anything, I've seen near career-ending injuries on plays that looked literally like nothing at all.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Also, I liked Russia's move to take Askarov out after the second period. I don't know if that was planned beforehand but psychologically, no matter how minor it is, it was a nice move. If Russia wins then the team beat Canada while partially plying with the backup, and if Canada wins it isn't as if Canada beat Askarov.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Also, I liked Russia's move to take Askarov out after the second period. I don't know if that was planned beforehand but psychologically, no matter how minor it is, it was a nice move. If Russia wins then the team beat Canada while partially plying with the backup, and if Canada wins it isn't as if Canada beat Askarov.

Makes sense.. tune up .. save him for the real games

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
First real game in a long time for a lot of our players. Didn’t expect much different. Canada has a pretty easy pool to advance from. They got three more games to use as a tuneup, get their game lungs going, and get that hand eye back to where it should be. I don’t think anyone played poor. They’re not going to kill each other in an exhibition game after a very long layoff. I think if the tournament gets deeper into it, the hockey will become smoother, faster, and more exciting.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
First real game in a long time for a lot of our players. Didn’t expect much different. Canada has a pretty easy pool to advance from. They got three more games to use as a tuneup, get their game lungs going, and get that hand eye back to where it should be. I don’t think anyone played poor. They’re not going to kill each other in an exhibition game after a very long layoff. I think if the tournament gets deeper into it, the hockey will become smoother, faster, and more exciting.
Nicely said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad