Contract Termination: [CAR] F Evgeny Kuznetsov and the Hurricanes mutually terminate contract

43sfriends

Dec 2, 2018
This year, the Capitals are LTIR Backstrom and Oshie, and now get a $4m mulligan on Kuzy.

Almost $20m they have and can invested elsewhere.

What a gift the us Caps fans. They gave us a Cup, and now they are giving us cap relief.
Probably could have two cups if not for their precipitous declines. This is small consolation.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Been a pretty substantial exit in Carolina this off season. I wonder if the teams at all upset this wasn't done weeks ago.

On a positive note wasn't Necas issue he wanted to be played at C? I don't see how Carolina can't entertain that at this point. They certainly have the cap space to lock him up long term.

Reactions: behemolari

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Been a pretty substantial exit in Carolina this off season. I wonder if the teams at all upset this wasn't done weeks ago.

On a positive note wasn't Necas issue he wanted to be played at C? I don't see how Carolina can't entertain that at this point. They certainly have the cap space to lock him up long term.
The problem is Necas isn't a center. Carolina is in free fall at the moment. That roster is really thin now. I don't see a scenario where they finished higher than 3rd in the division and they'll be bounced first round.

Reactions: behemolari

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Sounds like this was basically the plan anyway, otherwise Carolina would've made an idiotic move if they had lost Necas or Jarvis because of the trade for him. Also, Washington might become a decent team if PLD and Wilson rebound and they can add someone with the freed up money. Sounds like they probably need a goalie.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That's not his agent. His agent is Craig Oster from newport
Thanks. Could it be that he has an agent for the NHL and a different agent for back in Russia? Does Newport handle guys in the KHL? Just speculating as I don't know who Shumia Babaev is, but I seem to remember a quote from him back when Kuzy went into the players assistance program.

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
Thanks. Could it be that he has an agent for the NHL and a different agent for back in Russia? Does Newport handle guys in the KHL? Just speculating as I don't know who Shumia Babaev is, but I seem to remember a quote from him back when Kuzy went into the players assistance program.
I mean it's also possible he switched agents and it wasn't publicly announced

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The problem is Necas isn't a center. Carolina is in free fall at the moment. That roster is really thin now. I don't see a scenario where they finished higher than 3rd in the division and they'll be bounced first round.
Free fall?!?

Oh the horror. Everything that has happened this off season was clearly coming to Canes fans a couple of years ago. Players themselves referred to it knowing they were all playing together for the last time. If Kuzy is leaving then I would assume the team knew it when they acquired him. Guentzel was the prize of the deadline, Kuzy was a long shot that wouldn’t really hurt them if it didn’t work out. Most didn’t think much of the transaction so it’s interesting that it’s now part of the “free fall” from grace some people are seeing now.

They didn’t have a second line last year, and haven’t really had once since Trocheck so they’ve essentially gone back to the team pre Trocheck now that actually in some ways played the system better. We had one line and spare parts last season. This season we have one line and spare parts, just fewer of them are offensive minded. They really only lost Teravainen up front. Bunting never found his way with the Canes and Guentzel was obviously a rental.

We’re probably taking a step back but like you said we’re still going to probably make the playoffs. It’s hard to consider that a free fall.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
As far as I understand salaries in the KHL are tax free.

It’s illegal to not pay taxes.

But afaik, all KHL salaries are negotiated and reported as net income.
So yea for all intents and purposes they’re tax free.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Zine

Feb 28, 2002

Babaev does not represent Kuznetsov.
In his statement he included that he’s just a very close friend of Kuznetsov and they communicate constantly.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
What the hell is going on in Carolina that half their team left this year? Bizarre.
Everyone knew they had a ton of contracts ending and even the players acknowledged it was their last chance together. Canes aren’t big on ufa contracts unless they’re affordable (Martinook, Chatfield) or a piece of the team they think they can’t afford to let go (Slavin, Aho). They tried to sign Skjei and based on comments made they held onto money to give Guentzel that they might’ve given Skjei and Pesce, and by the time Jake said he wasn’t coming back it was too late so they spent the money on the replacements.

If you asked us what was going to happen this offseason a year ago most of us would’ve predicted a similar result, so not exactly bizarre. You can’t pay everyone.

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
Everyone knew they had a ton of contracts ending and even the players acknowledged it was their last chance together. Canes aren’t big on ufa contracts unless they’re affordable (Martinook, Chatfield) or a piece of the team they think they can’t afford to let go (Slavin, Aho). They tried to sign Skjei and based on comments made they held onto money to give Guentzel that they might’ve given Skjei and Pesce, and by the time Jake said he wasn’t coming back it was too late so they spent the money on the replacements.

If you asked us what was going to happen this offseason a year ago most of us would’ve predicted a similar result, so not exactly bizarre. You can’t pay everyone.

Yeah, this coming year was always going to be the true test of our "always competitive" philosophy. This is not surprising to those who pay attention, Still, it will be a fascinating year under that philosophy - the same good, improving young core combined with high roster turnover among complimentary pieces and limited cap flexibility until 7/1/25.

If we succeed this year - and I'll call M3 a success - I'll believe that the Canes FO is the smartest group in the room,

I have higher expectations for 25-26.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
?

we let UFAs go, most got overpaid, and a 4C leaves for Russia. What is the issue?
c3bfbc7743f422d7f4633e461fc41bc7.jpg

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
?

we let UFAs go, most got overpaid, and a 4C leaves for Russia. What is the issue?
Losing two of your top 4 D and a bunch of forwards is not a good look. It’s strange all walked and none resigned. You don’t generally see a team lose half of its top 6, 2 top 4 D and not je able to strike a deal with another top 6 forward very often.

You can’t pay them all but they chose to pay none. So what, the team is a playoff bubble team because they didn’t even try? That’s really strange IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad