Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
the only thing more bat shit crazy is believing that trading Nurse in the next year or two is actually viable. It’s a non starter and realistically the best way to make it become an option is by trying to get the best out of Nurse.
Well..I think finding the magical player that can be super cheap and make Nurse a better Dman is a lot less likely. Not saying its impossible but I dont see it being more likely than a trade.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I remember those flashes when Nurse looked better with Stecher and then Broberg. I bet the only trick is to pair him to an actual puck mover/transporter who can skate well. The sample size is not great there but it's worth a shot.

So what we want is the high quality RD version of that. The obvious target is Andersson from Calgary. The issue there is that everyone wants him. Of the cheap PTO candidates I suppose Barrie makes sense. He is at least a good puck mover and I liked his improvements in his board work while he was here. I don't know if he has declined though.
The thing is though that they are just flashes. Its the consistency that seems to be an issue with Nurse.
I mean he has the physical tools for sure so you watch him play and you start to believe a little bit. Then you watch his processer over time (especially when the intensity gets dialed up) and then it becomes clear that the tools dont compensate for the poor decision making.
Its frustrating to watch.

I actually thought that Barrie might come here on a PTO. Not sure how much game he has left but those 2 players did seem to be a good fit the first time around.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The thing is though that they are just flashes. Its the consistency that seems to be an issue with Nurse.
I mean he has the physical tools for sure so you watch him play and you start to believe a little bit. Then you watch his processer over time (especially when the intensity gets dialed up) and then it becomes clear that the tools dont compensate for the poor decision making.

I actually thought that Barrie might come here on a PTO. Not sure how much game he has left but those 2 players did seem to be a good fit the first time around.
I thought Barrie was okay with him and I'd be okay with a PTO but I'd rather give Stecher and Emberson a chance there. I suppose that could still happen in preseason even with Barrie here.

Reactions: Faelko

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I thought Barrie was okay with him and I'd be okay with a PTO but I'd rather give Stecher and Emberson a chance there. I suppose that could still happen in preseason even with Barrie here.
Inviting Barrie to camp on a PTO would create a little more competition.
Emberson I dont know anything about but Stecher I have seen enough of.
Just those 2 players alone competing for a #4 position on this team is very underwhelming IMO.

Last edited:

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Anyone remember when Stecher played a game or two paired with Nurse and they played really well? Then Stecher was basically out of the lineup, but maybe the team knew he needed surgery and just shut him down.

Hopefully there’s some chemistry, we could find they with Barrie too. Our PP2 could benefit a lot by having Barrie out there.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton
Anyone remember when Stecher played a game or two paired with Nurse and they played really well? Then Stecher was basically out of the lineup, but maybe the team knew he needed surgery and just shut him down.

Hopefully there’s some chemistry, we could find they with Barrie too. Our PP2 could benefit a lot by having Barrie out there.
Lol, shouldn’t a $9.25 mil/yr defenceman be able to carry his own pairing? No matter who the teammate is? The fact that we are questioning this is so bad. We are f***ed with Nurse no matter what. f***. Can’t believe Holland and company signed that contract. So f***ing bad.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
LHD: Ekholm, Nurse, Kulak
RHD: Bouchard, Emberson, Brown, Stetcher

Unless Nurse comes back greatly improved and one of Emberson, Brown and Stetcher prove to be a #4 defenseman this is not a good enough defense for a team with cup aspirations.
Probably that's what it will be to start the season. I expect they will add a d-man later. Maybe even Sissy as a cheap rental.

The wild card is Emberson. If he plays 18-20 mins a night like he did in SJ (which is also Ceci's minutes), and does not get slaughtered, the Oilers are laughing. Brown is Desharnais replacement. Stetcher is a PB guy.

Lol, shouldn’t a $9.25 mil/yr defenceman be able to carry his own pairing? No matter who the teammate is? The fact that we are questioning this is so bad. We are f***ed with Nurse no matter what. f***. Can’t believe Holland and company signed that contract. So f***ing bad.
Nurse is still young. Maybe he puts his shit together and has a strong season. We know he's capable of playing tough defensive minutes.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Probably that's what it will be to start the season. I expect they will add a d-man later. Maybe even Sissy as a cheap rental.

The wild card is Emberson. If he plays 18-20 mins a night like he did in SJ (which is also Ceci's minutes), and does not get slaughtered, the Oilers are laughing. Brown is Desharnais replacement. Stetcher is a PB guy.

Nurse is still young. Maybe he puts his shit together and has a strong season. We know he's capable of playing tough defensive minutes.
If he takes a puck to the head every 8 games in practice he might win a Norris.

Only half joking

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
I wouldn't mind having Barrie out there, we know what we get. And him playing with Nurse would be beneficial to both, as Nurse wouldn't need to cause unnecessary icings when Barrie handle the puck. Not saying it would be ideal or best possible solution, but worth to take a look at Barrie on PTO.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
IMG_0352.jpeg

For all those wondering what’s up with Yams.

IMG_0353.jpeg

Likely where the Barrie PTO talk is coming from.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Y'all complain worse than children.

If you all would actually trade Nurse away (if you could) you are nuts.

Reactions: stewy04

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
I can see PTOs for Barrie (RD), Hagg (LD spent majority of last season in the A, but Knoblauch knows him from Philly), and/or Dermott (LD). The Oilers are possibly lighter on LD organizationally now. I suspect Hagg would accept a two-way deal, the other two, NHL only. If the Oilers plan to have a real PP2 next year, Barrie would be a good option.

Reactions: McDoused

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Damn, I thought it was just 100% of salary meaning they could back load and push up the qo but I see that it’s now lesser of 100% of salary or 120% cap hit.

For the Oilers, in my view the qualifying offer isn’t as detrimental because likely this player has increased their value and very well could be worth that money in a future cap environment. Always have the option to try and negotiate a lower cap like NJ did with Meier or if you just can’t afford him at all you can probably still trade him as an rfa. Worse case you don’t qualify him, let him walk and probably think the 1st and 3rd was worth the 3 years you got out of the player.
In the end though the major problem with trying to poach a significant player via an OS from a bottom team is that they will almost surely match anything that is not ridiculous. It is unlikely that a contender like the Oilers would have enough space to throw out an offer that is so out there that the opposition would not match. Could it happen. Yes, but it is a fair ways down on the list of tactics we could see to keep the Oiler window open.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I would ask though, lets say they bring Ceci back for peanuts at the deadline. That's 5/6 D returning on a team that was in game 7 of a Cup Final. Is that a non-contender or not? So Ceci is basically the difference?
That would be a fail. I thought Ceci was OK and covered his cap hit. I wasn’t one of the big haters of this player. But surely someone better will shake loose over the season.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It actually dropped off when he stopped playing a majority of his minutes with McDavid.
Is this really the case though? If you look at the three years including his big year and the two afterwards it turns out that there really isn't much evidence to support this claim. For example his goal scoring and his total points rates are a fair bit higher playing with Nuge or Ryan for that matter than with either McDavid or Leon.

A similar thing happened over the last three years where he has again produced more with Nuge that either McDavid or Draisaitl:

There is an obvious reason for this. With lesser talented players Nurse becomes a more significant cog in the offense. With McDavid, he is just one of other complementary pieces. In his big year it was the case that his numbers were somewhat better with McDavid than without and that was true to a lesser degree last year, but overall what seems to make the most difference for him is who his partner is. With more offensive defenseman Nurse seems to produce much more.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I actually think that Nurse has been consistently good in the sense that most of the time he is on the ice the trend is positive but he has lapses that are incredibly costly. He can play well for 95% of a game and make that big error that is a dagger to the heart. It's not like he is being shelled all that often. The problem is that there seems to be no way to rectify those lapses.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I actually think that Nurse has been consistently good in the sense that most of the time he is on the ice the trend is positive but he has lapses that are incredibly costly. He can play well for 95% of a game and make that big error that is a dagger to the heart. It's not like he is being shelled all that often. The problem is that there seems to be no way to rectify those lapses.

I would love to know how many goals against we've had spanning his career in which the puck last touched him. I've never played competitive hockey myself, but it's unprecedented how many pucks seem to deflect off his skate into our net. It seems like it has happened more to him than literally all of his teammates combined. This needs to be documented and studied.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I would love to know how many goals against we've had spanning his career in which the puck last touched him. I've never played competitive hockey myself, but it's unprecedented how many pucks seem to deflect off his skate into our net. It seems like it has happened more to him than literally all of his teammates combined. This needs to be documented and studied.
It really is quite remarkable, and I agree that it seems unprecedented. Some of this must be bad luck but some is certainly bad decision making that puts him in a position for such a thing to happen. It would be a monumental task to quantify how many of each.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Well..I think finding the magical player that can be super cheap and make Nurse a better Dman is a lot less likely. Not saying its impossible but I dont see it being more likely than a trade.
Doesn’t need to be cheap at the deadline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad