OT: Everything COVID19 - PART 8

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
So sick of this shit. I havent been keeping up but these lockdowns are getting rediculous. The big businesses like walmart,amazon, shopify, costco are killing it and the rich are getting richer, while everyone else is suffering. I would like to see a program for those small businesses to get back on their feet after this or right now, sponsored by the big companies. Im all about capitalism but when the government controls where the money is being spent, there needs to be a redistribution of wealth.

What I dont understand is the reduced hours of businesses, you are forcing people to rush and flood at the same time and having less time to disinfect, if anything they should increase the hours to spread out the amount of people there at the same time. Have this question been answered by politicians?

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
So sick of this shit. I havent been keeping up but these lockdowns are getting rediculous. The big businesses like walmart,amazon, shopify, costco are killing it and the rich are getting richer, while everyone else is suffering. I would like to see a program for those small businesses to get back on their feet after this or right now, sponsored by the big companies. Im all about capitalism but when the government controls where the money is being spent, there needs to be a redistribution of wealth.

What I dont understand is the reduced hours of businesses, you are forcing people to rush and flood at the same time and having less time to disinfect, if anything they should increase the hours to spread out the amount of people there at the same time. Have this question been answered by politicians?

It's f***ing ridiculous. I do all my shopping at 8-9pm so it's nice and quiet. This isn't just a covid thing, I've always preferred shopping this way. So now it looks like to stop the spread I may have to go during they day when stores are significantly busier. Politicians at all levels in all parties have no idea what the hell they are doing and have lost all credibility.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It's f***ing ridiculous. I do all my shopping at 8-9pm so it's nice and quiet. This isn't just a covid thing, I've always preferred shopping this way. So now it looks like to stop the spread I may have to go during they day when stores are significantly busier. Politicians at all levels in all parties have no idea what the hell they are doing and have lost all credibility.
You would think the goal would be to get people in and out of the store as fast as possible but instead they have every second cash open so you get a line up that sometimes stretches all the way around the store.

Reactions: The Big Ruszkowski

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
With all of these cases have the deaths risen at the same pace?

upload_2021-1-9_9-41-12.png

upload_2021-1-9_9-41-44.png

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
With all of these cases have the deaths risen at the same pace?

View attachment 382863

View attachment 382864
what is your point. this has been known since day 1.

The issue remains the same, we have a virus that is killing people. Yes, a very specific subset. But 1) all of us will get to that age group one day 2) all of us know someone in that age group. We are not hatched, we are born. As a minimum, we have parents in that age group..Possibly grandparents..If you have no parents or Grandparents in that age group. Odds are good, you are in it.

So what do we do? The roughly 80% of us not in that age group/high risk group (remember you have to add those with health issues) can say f'it and return to normal. It will simply mean that the vulnerable group will be exposed to higher and higher risks and their death numbers will climb..And math shows us that it will indeed climb to the roughly 3% of all of those infected, which among the vulnerable is closer to 15%...Or we can continue to do what we are now doing and keep the number at 0.3% of all those infected. Essentially 1/10, or we save 9 out of every 10 possible deaths. Meaning, you, or your parents, or your grandparents are saved.

Yes, we have torched the economy for it, but we can live with the feeling of: NO blood on our hands . And the safe feeling of: when we are in that age group, younger people will sacrifice for us.

I want to live in comfort knowing that when I am 85, people are perfectly wiling to support me as I go through health care and pensions, etc. So I sacrifice now so that today's 85 year old is okay.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I want to live in comfort knowing that when I am 85, people are perfectly wiling to support me as I go through health care and pensions, etc. So I sacrifice now so that today's 85 year old is okay.
Do you think the elderly feel protected by their government right now?

They have done a piss poor job protecting the most vulnerable.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
So given the current Ottawa numbers, was Mayor Watson justified to be mad at the Ontario government for imposing the province-wide lockdown?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So given the current Ottawa numbers, was Mayor Watson justified to be mad at the Ontario government for imposing the province-wide lockdown?

That's a good question

Numbers have gone up a lot. Is that because

1. People are ignoring the lockdown
2. The lockdown isn't particularly effective

Probably a bit of both.

I don't think that they want to do what needs to be done. For example how about we shut down Jeff Bezos and allow small businesses to be open for a couple of months. See how that goes.

I don't know what the answer is but I've come to the conclusion that the government doesn't either.

Protect the vulnerable by way of lockdown. Vaccinate as quickly as possible. Let everything else get on with life, masks and distancing and away you go

What they've done makes absolutely zero sense. I needed something for my car last weekend. Canadian Tire was closed. CAPS was open. How does that make sense?

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Starting school next week out here in Alberta. Half the people think it's a good things, half the people think it's a bad thing. Yay, we are now even more divided!

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That's a good question

Numbers have gone up a lot. Is that because

1. People are ignoring the lockdown
2. The lockdown isn't particularly effective

Probably a bit of both.

I don't think that they want to do what needs to be done. For example how about we shut down Jeff Bezos and allow small businesses to be open for a couple of months. See how that goes.

I don't know what the answer is but I've come to the conclusion that the government doesn't either.

Protect the vulnerable by way of lockdown. Vaccinate as quickly as possible. Let everything else get on with life, masks and distancing and away you go

What they've done makes absolutely zero sense. I needed something for my car last weekend. Canadian Tire was closed. CAPS was open. How does that make sense?

2 is to counter effect 1

If they implement a curfew, i hope they have real hard data that they publish that establishes the efficacy of a curfew.

Don't think there'll be any but it is an effort to stop the "secret gatherings" so people stop spreading the virus

Let's say a person has the virus and goes to a "secret" party in a private house and then spread it to a few people. These people don't know they have it, then spread it to their parents, grand-parents, co-workers, etc... People die in the end. That's basially what has been happening since the beginning. It's a virus and it spreads. It's basically like saying the sky is blue. There's just 2 way of stopping spreading. Everybody isolate until no more virus or a vaccine. Looks like it will be the vaccine anyway, we are in damage control rather than containing.

Last edited:

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Estonia is ahead of Canada. Nations like Croatia are hot on their heels, I wonder if the media in Lithuania is chiding the villages for poor distribution. Can we get a charter to Estonia?
upload_2021-1-9_21-6-38.png

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Thanks for the article.

I have been saying from the get go that side affects from these lockdowns are tremendous but the primary focus has always been to flatten the curve.

It will go mostly unnoticed here and in the news.

Emerging data has shown a staggering amount of so-called ‘collateral damage’ due to the lockdowns. This can be predicted to adversely affect many millions of people globally with food insecurity [82-132 million more people], severe poverty [70 million more people], maternal and under age-5 mortality from interrupted healthcare [1.7 million more people], infectious diseases deaths from interrupted services [millions of people with Tuberculosis, Malaria, and HIV], school closures for children [affecting children’s future earning potential and lifespan], interrupted vaccination campaigns for millions of children, and intimate partner violence for millions of women. In high-income countries adverse effects also occur from delayed and interrupted healthcare, unemployment, loneliness, deteriorating mental health, increased opioid crisis deaths, and more.

R2010

May 23, 2011

Dumb analysis. Dozens of papers have found the opposite and very definitively. AS an aside - most covid = more mutations including ones that may lead to vaccines being less effective. This is why letting COVID run wild (e.g. not locking down and letting the virus mutate more) is STUPID STUPID STUPID. Of course it is only now that some are realizing the risk of this when it is too late.

Reactions: pzeeman

R2010

May 23, 2011
Starting school next week out here in Alberta. Half the people think it's a good things, half the people think it's a bad thing. Yay, we are now even more divided!

Half are right and half are wrong. I think evidence has shown which side is right. As an aside, if we keep letting COVID run wild we're going to run into variants that have worse vaccine performance. Gotta do everything we can to slow the spread and vaccinate as quickly as possible.

Reactions: pzeeman

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Thanks for the article.

I have been saying from the get go that side affects from these lockdowns are tremendous but the primary focus has always been to flatten the curve.

It will go mostly unnoticed here and in the news.

But I don't get who you are arguing with. Of course lockdowns are horrible for all the reasons listed. No one wants a lockdown. It's literally the last resort and the last lever pulled. A lockdown is a symbol of failure of leadership.

Are you suggesting we don't attempt to flatten the curve?

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Half are right and half are wrong. I think evidence has shown which side is right. As an aside, if we keep letting COVID run wild we're going to run into variants that have worse vaccine performance. Gotta do everything we can to slow the spread and vaccinate as quickly as possible.
I’m ok with giving parents the choice of returning their kids back to school or not

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
2 is to counter effect 1

Don't think there'll be any but it is an effort to stop the "secret gatherings" so people stop spreading the virus

Let's say a person has the virus and goes to a "secret" party in a private house and then spread it to a few people. These people don't know they have it, then spread it to their parents, grand-parents, co-workers, etc... People die in the end. That's basially what has been happening since the beginning. It's a virus and it spreads. It's basically like saying the sky is blue. There's just 2 way of stopping spreading. Everybody isolate until no more virus or a vaccine. Looks like it will be the vaccine anyway, we are in damage control rather than containing.

I'm sorry but I'll call bull shit on this.

This virus isn't solely spreading because people go to "secret" parties. If you believe that your naive.

Look... i work from home. I go to the store, I wear my mask. Im not likely to get it on account of my behavior, if i get it, it's because of my kids. This virus is spreading because it spreads easily

We as humanity cannot simply hide in our homes until this goes away. That needs to be politically accepted as factually true. From the get go the approach has been run and hide. It ain't working

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad