Everything Avs...3 day break edition

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The only way I see EJ being picked up by Seattle is if the Avs win the cup this year while EJ staying healthy and having a strong season and playoffs, then Seattle might say EJ won the cup, he knows what it takes and he'll be a good vet to have

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I've mentioned this before, but the plan SHOULD be to ask EJ to waive or if he refuses, ask for his 19 team trade list and get what you can for him. The goal should be to only protect 3 d (Makar, Girard, Toews). That then allows 7 forwards to be protected (MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantenan, Kadri, Burakovsky, Nichushkin, Saad are probably my 7)instead of being forced to go 4 and 4.
I have no issue leaving Nuke and Saad unprotected.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I've mentioned this before, but the plan SHOULD be to ask EJ to waive or if he refuses, ask for his 19 team trade list and get what you can for him. The goal should be to only protect 3 d (Makar, Girard, Toews). That then allows 7 forwards to be protected (MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantenan, Kadri, Burakovsky, Nichushkin, Saad are probably my 7)instead of being forced to go 4 and 4.

Saad is definitely gone, no protecting him even. You can make a handshake agreement with Landy to re-sign after the expansion draft. Going 4 and 4 allows the team to protect Timmins if he has to be (not sure), EJ if he wants it, or Graves.

Reactions: atreyuavenged

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It's not an issue as long as everyone is accepting their roles.

Having too many players can become a locker room issue and cause problems...they talked about it in the last 31 thoughts podcast.
I was going to say basically the same thing. Its fine if everyone is on board with their role. Unfortunately I can't see Byram accepting riding the pine. Even Timmins has to be saying to himself what else do I have to do to prove I deserve a chance to play every night.

The only dman that has played poorly so far is Cole, but he will be in the lineup Tuesday while Timmins and Byram eat nachos. Its not going to continue sitting well with those two guys the more they sit in the press box.

Reactions: Avsboy

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Cole getting claimed isn’t a risk. It’s a reward. A reward of cap space for a lousy 8/7th D guy
It’s honestly the easiest way to improve this team without making a trade. Byram in / Cole out

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I was going to say basically the same thing. Its fine if everyone is on board with their role. Unfortunately I can't see Byram accepting riding the pine. Even Timmins has to be saying to himself what else do I have to do to prove I deserve a chance to play every night.

The only dman that has played poorly so far is Cole, but he will be in the lineup Tuesday while Timmins and Byram eat nachos. Its not going to continue sitting well with those two guys the more they sit in the press box.
It won’t sit well with this fan either. This isn’t rec soccer where everyone gets a purple participant ribbon. It’s Fing pro sports and Cole has played his lousy self into nachos duty. Waive Cole. He’ll clear anyway :(

Reactions: AvsFan29

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It won’t sit well with this fan either. This isn’t rec soccer where everyone gets a purple participant ribbon. It’s Fing pro sports and Cole has played his lousy self into nachos duty. Waive Cole. He’ll clear anyway :(
I'm not sure Cole would clear. Despite what we think of him most teams would take him as a bottom pairing PK guy.

But I agree you can't put Byram and Timmins in the press box, and play Cole over them. They are just simply better players at this point in time.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If Devon Toews continues to play the way he has through these first two games, there's no chance the Avs aren't asking EJ to waive his NMC or risk being bought out.

Besides, if the Avs are asking EJ to waive, I'm fairly certain Sakic will have had conversations with Ron Francis to ensure he's not selecting EJ.

I know people don't think that type of stuff happens, but respect between GM's is a real thing and Sakic is one of the most respected people in all of hockey. Ditto Francis.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'll be pounding this drum until the day of the expansion draft: whether EJ waives or not, we are going to lose a good player on that day and there is not a damn thing Sakic can do about it. Better start mentally preparing for that because it WILL happen.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If Devon Toews continues to play the way he has through these first two games, there's no chance the Avs aren't asking EJ to waive his NMC or risk being bought out.

Besides, if the Avs are asking EJ to waive, I'm fairly certain Sakic will have had conversations with Ron Francis to ensure he's not selecting EJ.

I know people don't think that type of stuff happens, but respect between GM's is a real thing and Sakic is one of the most respected people in all of hockey. Ditto Francis.

Pretty sure they’ve said the teams knew well in advance what players Vegas was targeting. No one was taken by surprise in that expansion draft. I’m sure it’ll be the same with Seattle.

I’d be fairly surprised if the Kraken selected EJ if he were made available. And if they take him, well, that benefits the Avs in all honesty.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'll be pounding this drum until the day of the expansion draft: whether EJ waives or not, we are going to lose a good player on that day and there is not a damn thing Sakic can do about it. Better start mentally preparing for that because it WILL happen.

Ok but who would you rather lose:
1) An older player with no term like Bura, Nuke, Kadri even, Jost, Donskoi
2) Graves, who is redundant and overpaid as a 6D
3) Timmins, who is very young and filled with potential

Timmins has to be protected at all costs.

Last edited:

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Ok but who do you rather lose:
1) An older player with no term like Bura, Nuke, Kadri even, Jost, Donskoi
2) Graves, who is redundant and overpaid as a 6D
3) Timmins, who is very young and filled with potential

Timmins has to be protected at all costs.

He's not going to be protected. There's two players on that list that the avs would be incredibly stupid to risk losing: Kadri and Bura. Everyone else is expendable and relatively easy to replace. It would suck to lose Timmins after putting this much time into him, but the team would be just fine without him. Can't say the same about Bura and Kadri.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
He's not going to be protected. There's two players on that list that the avs would be incredibly stupid to risk losing: Kadri and Bura. Everyone else is expendable and relatively easy to replace. It would suck to lose Timmins after putting this much time into him, but the team would be just fine without him. Can't say the same about Bura and Kadri.

Bura and Kadri probably both leave after their last year, chasing highest dollar contracts while Avs have to pay their top players. Timmins is affordable, and can be as important to the team as they are. The hope is that he's auto-protected and that EJ waives, when you can go 7-3-1.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Timmins is XD exempt.

Hopefully Sakic places what’s best for the whole team over the respect code in regards to EJ but I’m not going to completely rule it out either. I do feel though the most likely scenario is that EJ just waives.

There’s zero chance they aren’t protecting Toews after signing him to a for year deal unless somehow his game completely falls off a cliff, which early indications he’s come as advertised. They’ll protect 8 skaters if they have to and make a tough decision which forward to protect in that scenario.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Timmins is XD exempt.

Hopefully Sakic places what’s best for the whole team over the respect code in regards to EJ but I’m not going to completely rule it out either. I do feel though the most likely scenario is that EJ just waives.

There’s zero chance they aren’t protecting Toews after signing him to a for year deal unless somehow his game completely falls off a cliff, which early indications he’s come as advertised. They’ll protect 8 skaters if they have to and make a tough decision which forward to protect in that scenario.

Do you think they would do a Landy handshake agreement? Protect the D, then Mack, Rantanen, Kadri, Bura. Landy joins right after. Graves would be taken in that scenario I think, with the outside possibility of Nichushkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad