Everything Avs...3 day break edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Don't know what the team is going to do with the dman situation. Byram has to start playing, you don't learn anything sitting in the press box. Honestly the same goes for Timmins he's needs to play, sitting out does nothing for him.

As awesome as it is to have this kind of insane depth, it's a pretty big issue, young guys need playing time, not nacho time. Not sure how they are going to get Byram and Timmins the time if they are too stubborn to make Cole ride the pine.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think EJ is first to go back in but that depends how long he can get up to speed. I agree that it makes the most sense they rest someone for Byram by the weekend. If they aren’t willing to rest at that point they’ll never do it.

Gilbert is going to get the Graves type look/opportunity. He’s gonna see games at some point. He reminds me of a younger version of Cole, Bednar loves that shit.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This year the young guys like Byram and Timmins might have to rotate in and out of the line up, but sometime next year it should be..

Toews-Makar
Girard-EJ
Byram-Timmims
Graves

Cole gone and maybe EJ picked up by Seattle if he waives the NTC

If EJ is gone next year..

Byram-Makar WTH
Girard-Toews
Graves-Timmins

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
EJ won't be picked by Seattle. He likely ends up bought out, but I wouldn't do that since he's still an important piece.

Reactions: 22FUTON9

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
EJ won't be picked by Seattle. He likely ends up bought out, but I wouldn't do that since he's still an important piece.
Yeah, i also don't think Seattle will have much interest in aging and injury prone EJ making 6 mill. Next year I'd go with..

Byram-Makar
Girard-Toews
Graves-EJ/Timmins

Reactions: Hornstar

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
If Sakic wants to keep his roster intact, he’ll most likely have to trade a 1st round pick and someone like LOC to Seattle.

If you think about it from Seattle’s perspective, they’ll be perfectly content sitting back and taking someone like Burakovsky, Graves, or Timmins.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
If Sakic wants to keep his roster intact, he’ll most likely have to trade a 1st round pick and someone like LOC to Seattle.

If you think about it from Seattle’s perspective, they’ll be perfectly content sitting back and taking someone like Burakovsky, Graves, or Timmins.

How does it work? Does Seattle have to accept that trade?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Something has to give, can't just keep ignoring these top prospects and making them ride the pine. If Byram doesn't get much playing time this year, I could see him demanding a trade, guys drafted that high typically get a chance fairly quickly. They typically don't wait 2 years or longer for playing time. For reference Byram is the only top 4 pick since 2016, that wanted to play NHL that hasn't gotten a shot almost immediately. Makar is the only other one, but he actively chose to play NCAA for 2 years, that was his choice and was immediately inserted into the lineup in the playoffs when he was done with the NCAA.

I don't think Byram is the type of guy that's going to be cool with riding the pine with minimal opportunity. Hence why I think this is a bigger issue than most around here seem to think it is. Byram wants to play and there are 25+ other teams that would kill to have him in the lineup today, and he knows this. He isn't going to wait forever to get consistent playing time.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
How does it work? Does Seattle have to accept that trade?

Nah. I’m just saying that if Sakic doesn’t want to lose someone like Graves/Burky/Timmins he’ll have to convince them of a better option.

That backfired on a lot of teams in the last expansion draft though.

Last edited:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Something has to give, can't just keep ignoring these top prospects and making them ride the pine. If Byram doesn't get much playing time this year, I could see him demanding a trade, guys drafted that high typically get a chance fairly quickly. They typically don't wait 2 years or longer for playing time. For reference Byram is the only top 4 pick since 2016, that wanted to play NHL that hasn't gotten a shot almost immediately. Makar is the only other one, but he actively chose to play NCAA for 2 years, that was his choice and was immediately inserted into the lineup in the playoffs when he was done with the NCAA.

I don't think Byram is the type of guy that's going to be cool with riding the pine with minimal opportunity. Hence why I think this is a bigger issue than most around here seem to think it is. Byram wants to play and there are 25+ other teams that would kill to have him in the lineup today, and he knows this. He isn't going to wait forever to get consistent playing time.

I think it's a huge issue too. The best solution is to trade Graves for a quality forward and bury Compher.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Avs D situation is not an issue at all. Having depth is never an issue. When Byram and Timmins solidify themselves as legit top 4 D in the NHL, Graves, EJ, Cole will be gone. Or you can always keep one of them for an extra 7th D

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Burakovsky won't be unprotected.

They most likely walk away with Graves. Which is whatever to me.

I also see some sort of deal that involves a pick and Jost to not pick some unprotected player.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Avs D situation is not an issue at all. Having depth is never an issue. When Byram and Timmins solidify themselves as legit top 4 D in the NHL, Graves, EJ, Cole will be gone. Or you can always keep one of them for an extra 7th D
Its an issue when you have an elite prospect who wants playing time. He isn't going to be patient forever. Times have changed, top prospects usually get playing time quick. Byram doesn't want to ride the pine. He wants a chance to be an everyday player.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Avs D situation is not an issue at all. Having depth is never an issue.

It's not an issue as long as everyone is accepting their roles.

Having too many players can become a locker room issue and cause problems...they talked about it in the last 31 thoughts podcast.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Its an issue when you have an elite prospect who wants playing time. He isn't going to be patient forever. Times have changed, top prospects usually get playing time quick. Byram doesn't want to ride the pine. He wants a chance to be an everyday player.
He only has to wait until Tuesday

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It's not an issue as long as everyone is accepting their roles.

Having too many players can become a locker room issue and cause problems...they talked about it in the last 31 thoughts podcast.
Yeah but right now it's not an issue. When Byram and Timmins become full time top 4 d-men, then the Avs will have to let go few people, although by the time that happens, Graves contract will be up, Cole will be gone and EJ might be the only one left

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Yeah but right now it's not an issue. When Byram and Timmins become full time top 4 d-men, then the Avs will have to let go few people, although by the time that happens, Graves contract will be up, Cole will be gone and EJ might be the only one left
EJ is going to have to waive his NMC. I think he will

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
EJ is going to have to waive his NMC. I think he will
Yeah but don't think Seattle will pick him. EJ's contract is up in 2 years i believe (i thought it was longer) Cole is up next year, he'll be gone. Graves signed for 3 years. Everything is gonna work out just fine.

In 2 years when EJ is up, Byram and Timmins should be established NHLers ready for top 4 minutes, so EJ is gone, and Graves will only have one more year left...

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
I've mentioned this before, but the plan SHOULD be to ask EJ to waive or if he refuses, ask for his 19 team trade list and get what you can for him. The goal should be to only protect 3 d (Makar, Girard, Toews). That then allows 7 forwards to be protected (MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantenan, Kadri, Burakovsky, Nichushkin, Saad are probably my 7)instead of being forced to go 4 and 4.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
I thought timmins was auto protected? Am I wrong to assume that? If so, that’s an easy pick for Seattle.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Doubt he's bought out. The team isn't going to want 2M in dead cap space over the next 4 years. If he doesn't waive, they need to trade him for literally anything they can get.
I dunno how you move that contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad