Player Discussion Evander Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Kane sure seemed like he enjoyed himself at mcdavids wedding. Pretty sure he wouldn't be there if their were problems in the locker room. Fans also forgot that McDavid and Draisaitl wanted him back.

Also, I think fans don't remember just how good Kane can be. He had 13 goals in 15 playoffs games last year. A healthy Kane is way more valuable than a Broberg or Holloway in the playoffs.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Kane sure seemed like he enjoyed himself at mcdavids wedding. Pretty sure he wouldn't be there if their were problems in the locker room. Fans also forgot that McDavid and Draisaitl wanted him back.

Also, I think fans don't remember just how good Kane can be. He had 13 goals in 15 playoffs games last year. A healthy Kane is way more valuable than a Broberg or Holloway in the playoffs.

This is what Kane does for the Oilers when he's healthy, and a willing combatant with anyone that wants to catch a fade.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Those 13 goals in 15 games were two years ago and he’s now 33. He’s spent the past two seasons being plagued with injuries and when he has been playing he hasn’t been anything remotely close to the player we saw in that 1/2 season + playoff run when we first signed him.

The unfortunate reality is that he’s not healthy. He never seems to be healthy. The Oilers themselves don’t seem to have any clue as to his status coming into this season.

A “healthy Kane” feels like it’s not a real thing anymore.

Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Those 13 goals in 15 games were two years ago and he’s now 33. He’s spent the past two seasons being plagued with injuries and when he has been playing he hasn’t been anything remotely close to the player we saw in that 1/2 season + playoff run when we first signed him.
Wasn’t Kane like the only guy scoring to his potential in the first twenty five (or so) games of the past season when the team was slumping badly and half the guys were looking like they didn’t even want to be in the ice?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

The unfortunate reality is that he’s not healthy. He never seems to be healthy. The Oilers themselves don’t seem to have any clue as to his status coming into this season.

I think it's more than just health. Kane played like he wouldn't get another contract. He got one and while injuries have certainly hampered him, he doesn't feel like he cares as much anymore.

Reactions: Reasonable Oil Fan

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Im just getting tired of all the drama lately
Perry yelling at him, injured/not injured, LTIR questions, just seems to be one thing after another for 5M
Media making themselves visible.

Kane is excellent in most aspects. A bit streaky but oh well.

His cap hit is minimal for what he can bring. We are better with him on our team.
As a team mate and citizen he seems a positive.

LTIR if he is hurt and could do with surgery. I want 100% Kane for the playoffs.

Media mouth can piss off and create drama for another team.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
Media making themselves visible.

Kane is excellent in most aspects. A bit streaky but oh well.

His cap hit is minimal for what he can bring. We are better with him on our team.
As a team mate and citizen he seems a positive.

LTIR if he is hurt and could do with surgery. I want 100% Kane for the playoffs.

Media mouth can piss off and create drama for another team.
You may be right about the media, however, quite often, where theres smoke.........
and last year we saw instances on the bench where Draisaitl and Perry were none too pleased with him.
but
Its not like hes caused crap in a locker room before.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Kane was pretty much ineffective all year other than some bursts. Despite that he still scored 20+ goals while getting no PP time. He is still more productive than Foegele, McLeod, Holloway etc but he should be for 5m.

He still is way more physical than any other Oiler forward as well.

I hope he is healthier when he returns and is more effective though.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

I think it's fair to say that Kane hasn't been healthy, we've all seen that. That doesn't mean that he can't recover properly and come close to the same player he was before the injury. I disagree that a healthy Kane can't be a real thing.

Kane is a year younger than a guy like Marchessault who just put up 42 goals last season. Both guys have similar career goals/per game. When he is on his game, he is one of the most impactful players we have. Kane is one of the few forwards we have that can play that physical power forward type game.

Let him get healthy and contribute in the playoffs.

I think it's more than just health. Kane played like he wouldn't get another contract. He got one and while injuries have certainly hampered him, he doesn't feel like he cares as much anymore.

What a terrible take. The guy was doing injections and battling through injury just to try and contribute and you label him that way.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

He sure hasnt been healthy for a while now. Not a good trend for a physical player entering his mid 30's.
That being said...I wouldnt say that him being healthy is not a real thing...like its not possible at all.
The major injury for him was a freak accident.

I understand what you are getting at though. It sure does become less likely that a player that plays the game the way he does can actually stay healthy as time rolls on.
Thats a shame because a healthy Kane was a difference maker for this team.

Last edited:

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I think Kane can be a difference maker, but I highly doubt he stays healthy/motivated through a full 82. LTIR him till TDL, get him healthy and hungry and have come in and be that difference maker. Relying on him for effective, two way, bottom 6 play just doesnt seem like a recipe for success.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Kane looked cooked last year.
I'm hoping its the injuries but these type of players can fall off a cliff.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Kane hasn't looked the same since Fatrick Maroon skated over his arm, lets just pray he can get back to his level of play pre-injury.

Reactions: Mr Positive

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
This LTIR narrative was a perfect example of how manipulative media works.
He went to being on guaranteed LTIR to start the season, to season long LTIR, to needing surgery, to waiting for surgery later this summer, to being ready for camp, to now he's gonna wait to mid season to get surgery.

Literally none of these scenarios were based on facts. It was all based on being able to suit a narrative to justify the cap

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He went to being on guaranteed LTIR to start the season, to season long LTIR, to needing surgery, to waiting for surgery later this summer, to being ready for camp, to now he's gonna wait to mid season to get surgery.

Literally none of these scenarios were based on facts. It was all based on being able to suit a narrative to justify the cap
I mean seemed pretty clear from day 1 he was going to give it the summer and see how it heals.

Anyone that thinks there is just some magic formula here is out to lunch.

Give it a chance to heal, feels good try training camp, training camp goes well try pre-season, pre-season goes well try regular season.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

I was thinking the same thing.

If you hated a guy in the locker room and wanted him gone then why would you invite him to your wedding? I'm sure a lot of other Oiler players didn't get invites. How many players were actually there?

Reactions: McDoused

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Giving Kane plenty of time to heal and going with the accrued cap space is the best route for the Oilers. Trying to LTIR Kane all season is too risky

Reactions: McDoused

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

It does seem that there is some truth to it. I mean, Kane does seem to have an issue that has surgery as an option. For a team like Vegas, the cap narrative is the reality and people are thinking we should be doing this too. I do agree that there is no firm info out there. Just educated guesses.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Giving Kane plenty of time to heal and going with the accrued cap space is the best route for the Oilers. Trying to LTIR Kane all season is too risky
It doesn't seem like there is much choice in it now anyway. It's not like we have an option to suit up a 5 million AAV player that would require Kane go to LTIR.

We could trade for that player now but there aren't many options, and maybe we'd want to wait to see who is healthy and playing well at the trade deadline.

If we accrued cap space and also had Kane on LTIR at the deadline, we could make whatever move we wanted and without paying a 3rd party extra.

I'm skeptical though because we could have done it last year but didn't. I didn't understand why we couldn't make the case to Kane to take the surgery before the deadline. He struggled in the playoffs because of his issues. Hopefully Bowman is a bit better at making the case and gaming the system a little bit. Delaying the surgery for the deadline would show that

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It doesn't seem like there is much choice in it now anyway. It's not like we have an option to suit up a 5 million AAV player that would require Kane go to LTIR.

We could trade for that player now but there aren't many options, and maybe we'd want to wait to see who is healthy and playing well at the trade deadline.

If we accrued cap space and also had Kane on LTIR at the deadline, we could make whatever move we wanted and without paying a 3rd party extra.

I'm skeptical though because we could have done it last year but didn't. I didn't understand why we couldn't make the case to Kane to take the surgery before the deadline. He struggled in the playoffs because of his issues. Hopefully Bowman is a bit better at making the case and gaming the system a little bit. Delaying the surgery for the deadline would show that
Holland plays it by the book everytime and it screws the Oilers everytime he does it. Kane could have went on LTIR 2 years in a roll. Yamo as well. I agree Stan and Jackson would be more proactive. I'd glad we have a management that I for once have faith in.

Reactions: Mr Positive

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Holland plays it by the book everytime and it screws the Oilers everytime he does it. Kane could have went on LTIR 2 years in a roll. Yamo as well. I agree Stan and Jackson would be more proactive. I'd glad we have a management that I for once have faith in.
You can't just randomly put guys on it.

If the player is legit hurt and not cleared by doctors sure, but if a guy is healthy and you try keep him on LTIR you can run into trouble

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

If the player is legit hurt and not cleared by doctors sure, but if a guy is healthy and you try keep him on LTIR you can run into trouble
Kane had a wrist surgery and it was clear it was rushed. Yamo had a concussion. He was rush back as well. What more evident do we need?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Imo that concern is overrated.

I've said this before, but a player's medical status is not easy to gauge. There is no scanner that says someone is healthy or not. All it takes is for a player to say they could use more time and that they don't feel comfortable coming back yet and then no doctor on earth would tell the league that the player is ready and needs to get back on the ice. Why? Because if they go on and get re injured game 1 then the doctor would be sued. The player's self evaluation is as important as the doctor's opinion.

So, yes, the base issue needs to be real, but there is a massive gray area to exploit. Kane definitely has something real. I get the impression that he doesn't have that Stone level of desire to get on board with messing with the cap.

Reactions: Porkleaker

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Imo that concern is overrated.

I've said this before, but a player's medical status is not easy to gauge. There is no scanner that says someone is healthy or not. All it takes is for a player to say they could use more time and that they don't feel comfortable coming back yet and then no doctor on earth would tell the league that the player is ready and needs to get back on the ice. Why? Because if they go on and get re injured game 1 then the doctor would be sued. The player's self evaluation is as important as the doctor's opinion.

So, yes, the base issue needs to be real, but there is a massive gray area to exploit. Kane definitely has something real. I get the impression that he doesn't have that Stone level of desire to get on board with messing with the cap.
I mean that's just it. Sure he has something, but is it enough to warrant LTIR. Or if he stays on it too long is he going to speak up and cause a shit storm?

He was after all injured and at the same time complained about being on the third line, so one could imagine if he was on the LTIR what would happen and he thought he was healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad