Evander Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Yeah, I'm rushing to the stats page to tell me what I saw the last 20 games.

He's getting more defensive zone starts. That'll affect anyone's goal totals. It's his playmaking ability, or lack thereof in the offensive zone, that is frustrating fans. It's costing teammates and himself goals. But you can say the same for Frolik or Ladd too.

Kane needs to start doing the things other 2nd and 3rd liners that score do. Go to the net with or without the puck. Try a deflection or
two. Firing 400 shots from any angle and taking your 20-30 goals is not how hockey is played in a team concept. But he's killing penalties and backchecking hard so whatever.

He is good, but he has more to give if he puts his mind to it.

Never said he was without fault or could do things to improve.

My point was that a lot of the factors he's being faulted for aren't really controlled by him.

Stats page can help you with that since stats are just the results of what happened ;)

White Out 403*

I would disagree. Team look susceptible in depth compared to previous games. Numbers would also agree.

Kane is one of our better players despite not currently being one of highest scorers. These things can sometimes differ.

I don't use goal totals at this point of the season to evaluate Kane. Especially when there is so much evidence he is suffering a low sh% that will return to norm. He's the highest goal scorer the last four years combined for the Jets. It is exactly like those who used 3 good Pav games to fight against you.

I'm not against trading anyone, including Kane, but it is ironic that you are doing exactly what Pav defenders do against you.

I think you're confused friend. Kane's goal scoring has been falling off for what, 4 seasons now? Consistently dropping year after year. I wouldn't be so daft to say trade Kane if he wasn't already painting a clear picture of regression over a large sample size.

White Out 403*

btw my whole 'trade kane' thing is based on us moving him to a team that thinks hes a consistent 30 goal scorer. i wouldnt want him dumped for addition by subtraction. i think hes a depreciating asset that hasn't yet been caught on to by a lot of the league

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I think you're confused friend. Kane's goal scoring has been falling off for what, 4 seasons now? Consistently dropping year after year. I wouldn't be so daft to say trade Kane if he wasn't already painting a clear picture of regression over a large sample size.

It hasn't really been though, the year after he scored 30 was the lockout year. He was on pace for 29 or 30 goals. Last year he missed a bunch of games, had a hand that wasn't 100%, had the lowest SH% of his career and was still on pace for around 25 goals. I believe someone pointed out, last week or something, that if Kane's SH% reverts back to his career average he would again be on pace for around 30 goals taking into account GP.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

His usage has also changed dramatically in that time. Mostly his OZS. You're assuming it is all him.

Also, if we exclude that 30 goal season and just look at the last two he's still the best Jet for goal scoring:
Screen_shot_2014_12_09_at_11_13_29_PM.png

Although, Kane's value isn't limited to his scoring.
Example: Jets have 55% share of the goals and 53% of the shot attempts with him on the ice just this season. That is more than his linemates have without him.

seasontixholder*

For all the people that say trade Kane, they won without him. They beat a lowly Dallas team without out him. Big deal. The Ice Caps probably could have beaten that crap team. Kane's more of an asset then a liability.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
btw my whole 'trade kane' thing is based on us moving him to a team that thinks hes a consistent 30 goal scorer. i wouldnt want him dumped for addition by subtraction. i think hes a depreciating asset that hasn't yet been caught on to by a lot of the league

I don't think anyone thinks Kane is a 30 goal scorer unless he's sheltered or playing with a top center (where any winger can).

Other GMs watch teams other than their own too lol

Look at him as a great 3rd/okay 2nd liner and he doesn't seem so bad anymore. He's only paid as a good second liner as it is.

His only real crime is thinking and acting like he's very good when he's just good. Which people should recognize, like you do.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
kane is one of the most entertaining players besides buff to watch on the ice for me. he is tenacious, plays hard and hits like a freight train. i dont feel that he is intricate to us making the playoffs but a really good fit for the team. if we did trade him it would have to be something grand coming back. would be nice for him to turn on the goal scoring switch though, starting to believe that 30 goal season was an oddity and i dont put stock in a pro rated season for where he was trending for 30 as there are too many variables

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
Move over Broad Street Bullies, Winnipeg Jets have become thugs of the NHL
Scheifele said:
“Any guy would do anything for any guy on this team,” is how Mark Scheifele put it. “Every guy looks to his right or his left and would take a punch for him, block a shot for him... that’s a huge thing this year.”

“If we’re battling for each other and it’s a roughing penalty or something... any guy on this team would kill a penalty for a guy stepping in for a hit or anything like that,” Scheifele said. “We’ll kill that penalty, any day.”

Looks like he meant it. Good to see.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Kane is starting to remind me of Devin Setoguchi.
Lets unload him while people still think that he is good.

The return would be great.

Seto didn't produce, didn't put in any effort on most nights, was horribly out of shape

how is Kane similar to him other than right now the not producing part?

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Look at their stats.

Devin was a 30 goal scorer in San Jose & then started to regress every year.

Kane is doing the exact same thing.

Seto didn't produce, didn't put in any effort on most nights, was horribly out of shape

how is Kane similar to him other than right now the not producing part?

seasontixholder*

Look at their stats.

Seto is lazy and that's why he is in the AHL. Kane busts his ass every night. Should the Jets dump Schief cause he's not scoring?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Look at their stats.

There's more to hockey than what you read in the Wikipedia stats page, just FYI

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maurice noted this week that Kane is basically a model forward for the Jets system - fast, aggressive and physical to take away time and space, disrupt the opponent's zone exits and transition. A team that is thriving on a "system" doesn't need to assess players solely on their individual statistics, because how a player is performing is part of a chain reaction. When Kane uses his speed to force an opposing defenseman to make a bad pass or a pass where he doesn't want to, that makes our team defense more effective. When he uses his speed to create back pressure, he helps the D keep tight gaps and perform better. When he uses his speed to create zone entries, he helps with possession. When he forces turnovers on the forecheck, he creates more chances for the team.

I think that Maurice understands the concept of a system and players fitting the system. When he first arrived and was asked about the team, he didn't talk about individual players and their specific skillsets, he talked about the fact that his impression was a bunch of very big, very fast players that could create a lot of havoc.

The Jets will be reluctant to trade Kane for these reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad