Evander Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
In fact Kane got a harsher punishment than Nolan. Nolan only got 2 minutes for that hit, whereas Kane got 5 minutes and was tossed from the game. Also, since Kane's salary is higher, he's forfeiting far more money than Nolan.

And now Kane misses out on the Jets' family trip. Bummer...

IMO it doesn't matter how this is painted - Kane gets the special treatment and is ALWAYS given the harshest treatment possible. Not sure what he has all done to piss off the refs and league in the past (other than mouthing back to the refs which he had a very bad habit of doing). But it is very obvious that the refs will give Kane a penalty for anything that looks even remotely like an infraction and they are extremely reluctant to call infractions committed on Kane.

In this instance, for example, most players would have only got a 2 minute penalty and in the event they did see it as a 5 minute major, they would have given the opposition at least 4 minutes for instigating, ganging up with two people punching him, etc. Kerry Fraser admitted as much.

The league has special rules for special players & Kane is very obviously on that list -- we've all known that for a long time

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Kane has the same number of goals as Steve Downie. And Downie probably has no empty netters.

Points per 60 minutes

Kane
2014-15 - 1.54
2013-14 - 1.92
2012-13 - 2.02
2011-12 - 2.64

Downie
2014-15 - 2.03
2013-14 - 1.65
2012-13 - 3.53 (only played 2 games)
2011-12 - 2.06

Playoff Points:
Kane - 0 points in 0 games
Downie - 15 points in 23 games

Summary

Kane is regressing and sucks in the playoffs. Downie gonna Downie.

tucker22*

Aug 8, 2012
Points per 60 minutes

Kane
2014-15 - 1.54
2013-14 - 1.92
2012-13 - 2.02
2011-12 - 2.64

Downie
2014-15 - 2.03
2013-14 - 1.65
2012-13 - 3.53 (only played 2 games)
2011-12 - 2.06

Playoff Points:
Kane - 0 points in 0 games
Downie - 15 points in 23 games

Summary

Kane is regressing and sucks in the playoffs. Downie gonna Downie.

The comment "sucks in the playoffs" tells me you likely are one of the people that don't like his Instagram pictures. :shakehead

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
[mod]

Kane got 2 games because you could read the bubble over his head about 5 seconds before he acted. It read, "Somebody is going to pay".

Last edited by a moderator:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
[mod]

Kane got 2 games because you could read the bubble over his head about 5 seconds before he acted. It read, "Somebody is going to pay".

This is what I might be ok with the most, clean hit or not he isn't going to allow another team to come into MTSC, dicate the physical play and push them around.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agree with your comments 100%, TC, but I won't be commenting about it here after this post, as the emotion is clearly too raw.
But let me just clarify one thing--this is not about loving or hating Kane; it's about the consequences of his poor decisions on the team. I have no doubt that Maurice was furious at him. Does that make him a Kane hater?? No, he is a Jets lover and Kane did the Jets absolutely no good with his reckless and thoughtless actions.

That is the problem I have. I thought Kane's physicality against Buffalo and Edmonton were great and I think he is one of the leaders in playing good tough Jets hockey even when he is in a scoring slump. My issue is that he lost his cool and ran a guy from behind in a suspension worthy hit....... full stop! I could get caught up in how the NHL got this wrong by one game, or that they missed a double minor on the Sabres, or that other players have done just as bad to our Jets, all of which is probably true but it doesn’t matter to me because we can’t control the NHL. As just or injust as the process is Evander's bad choice has put the Jets and his teammates in a tough spot, and the rest of it is just noise to me.

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
This is what I might be ok with the most, clean hit or not he isn't going to allow another team to come into MTSC, dicate the physical play and push them around.

The Jets are really earning a reputation around the league as a chippy team and Kane is leading the way.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The Jets are really earning a reputation around the league as a chippy team and Kane is leading the way.

I don't think that's true, they play a pretty honest game imo. I've heard quite a few teams refer to their game as physical or heavy, but not chippy.

BrokerD

Apr 13, 2012
On a side note...

Stephane Robidas of the Laughs didn't get suspended for his elbow on Vancouver's Shawn Matthias.

--Blatant elbow to the chops
--Matthias suffered concussion like symptoms

It must of killed the league to suspend Clarkson last year for ten games (they had to, video evidence of him leaving the bench to fight...)

And Kessel's two handed golf swings on big John Scott during that game got him zilch. Had that been Kane he'd probably still be suspended.

All I want is a little ****ing consistency (knowing full well this to be a pipe dream)

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Remember Dave Babych?

IMO Kane is getting a bad rap. He is putting in an honest effort. He is a good penalty killer and works hard on the boards and in the corners. He is not getting the numbers we want. If he were a 23 year-old call up we would be thrilled with him. He is NOT a floater.

If we accept him for what he is (2nd/3rd line winger) then we'll be happy with him. Remember Dave Babych? Selected 1st overall and the fans were upset with him because he was a good 2nd pair defenceman. Then they traded him for Ray Neufeld.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I truly think Kane's Fenwick shooting percentage this season and IAP dropping to lower than 50% his norm is totally his fault and will totally persist
:sarcasm:

Sigh... Common guys. I though we've learned and evolved beyond looking at things like this.

I mean has anyone looked at these things?
Has anyone looked if his FenSh% is below norm and likely to regress up?
Has anyone looked if his IAP is below norm and likely to regress up?
Has anyone looked if his offensive zone deployment has been dropping?
Has anyone looked if his defensive zone deployment has been higher than any Jet on the team?
Has anyone looked if these things affect scoring outside of Jets play?
Has anyone looked if his missing the net is actually more often than most Jets?
Has anyone looked if his shot distribution differs from most Jets?

White Out 403*

Have a lower probability in winning, but probability =/= destiny.

I disagree. Team looks just fine without him and if you trade him you bring back assets.

We dont need money phone, but, I can see you argument. Evander Kanes 3 non empty net goals were crucial to our season so far.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I disagree. Team looks just fine without him and if you trade him you bring back assets.

We dont need money phone, but, I can see you argument. Evander Kanes 3 non empty net goals were crucial to our season so far.

I would disagree. Team look susceptible in depth compared to previous games. Numbers would also agree.

Kane is one of our better players despite not currently being one of highest scorers. These things can sometimes differ.

I don't use goal totals at this point of the season to evaluate Kane. Especially when there is so much evidence he is suffering a low sh% that will return to norm. He's the highest goal scorer the last four years combined for the Jets. It is exactly like those who used 3 good Pav games to fight against you.

I'm not against trading anyone, including Kane, but it is ironic that you are doing exactly what Pav defenders do against you.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I truly think Kane's Fenwick shooting percentage this season and IAP dropping to lower than 50% his norm is totally his fault and will totally persist
:sarcasm:

Sigh... Common guys. I though we've learned and evolved beyond looking at things like this.

I mean has anyone looked at these things?
Has anyone looked if his FenSh% is below norm and likely to regress up?
Has anyone looked if his IAP is below norm and likely to regress up?
Has anyone looked if his offensive zone deployment has been dropping?
Has anyone looked if his defensive zone deployment has been higher than any Jet on the team?
Has anyone looked if these things affect scoring outside of Jets play?
Has anyone looked if his missing the net is actually more often than most Jets?
Has anyone looked if his shot distribution differs from most Jets?

Yeah, I'm rushing to the stats page to tell me what I saw the last 20 games.

He's getting more defensive zone starts. That'll affect anyone's goal totals. It's his playmaking ability, or lack thereof in the offensive zone, that is frustrating fans. It's costing teammates and himself goals. But you can say the same for Frolik or Ladd too.

Kane needs to start doing the things other 2nd and 3rd liners that score do. Go to the net with or without the puck. Try a deflection or
two. Firing 400 shots from any angle and taking your 20-30 goals is not how hockey is played in a team concept. But he's killing penalties and backchecking hard so whatever.

He is good, but he has more to give if he puts his mind to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad