Evander Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
^^^

Sounds like Evil Bryan Little.

[Muahahhhaaaahahahahahaahaha....!]

[*Looks for most evil picture of Little one could find... can't find anything worse than the hangover loafers and gives up.*]

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I know that I am going to get flack for this, but I think one or two games is correct for this hit. I think it could have gone either way so it went the way of two.

The Backlund hit was really a push if you look at it. It was very dangerous because there was space between where the push took place and the boards, and Backlund fully extended his arms in the crosscheck style push, but I think even Backlund was surprised and the outcome and how light Enstrom was there. Enstrom was kind of bending over to make the play so his weight was more forward which is why he was kind of 'light' on that particular play. Enstrom is usually very good at 'preparing' for the hits in the corners - a survival mechanism no doubt given his size. He generally protects himself well, but was caught off guard on that one as he tried to turn in the direction of Backlund. But given the full extension of the arms and the proximity to the boards, definitely suspension worthy and lucky Enstrom wasn't hurt worse.

The Kane hit is different. It is a full body check, not a push. He sees nothing but numbers for, what, 20 feet of ice, continues and completes the body check with full force. Thank god he stopped striding towards him before the hit, then it would have been boarding, charging and at least 5 games. But anyway, imagine if someone Kane's size and strength puts that hit on Enstrom. Enstrom becomes a permanent ad banner besides Tim Hortons or Birchwood Chevy or whoever is advertising on that side. This forum would be lit up like a Christmas tree with all of us talking about how there was nothing but the number 39 burning holes in the eyes of the guy. We would want the guy thrown out of the league.

I agree with the comments about inconsistency in these suspensions. But just because they F up other suspensions, it doesn't mean that they got this one wrong.

Just my opinion. I may be wrong - there are certainly a lot of hockey smarter people on this forum than me. But I don't have an issue with the 2 game suspension for what Kane did.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I agree with the comments about inconsistency in these suspensions. But just because they F up other suspensions, it doesn't mean that they got this one wrong.

Just my opinion. I may be wrong - there are certainly a lot of hockey smarter people on this forum than me. But I don't have an issue with the 2 game suspension for what Kane did.

I was expecting 1-2 games. I personally don't have a problem with the suspension - it was an unwise hit by Kane. As you allude to though: I do have a problem with the inconsistency. The Postma, Enström, and Perreault hits should have at least gotten a look. Crickets from Player Safety.

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
Funny that he's been in the league for 6 years and this is his first offense and people are just raking him over the coals for it.

I've seen plenty of good, smart, hockey players do far worse in games. I think sometimes people might be looking for any excuse to dislike the guy.

Like him, hate him, who cares. Just be genuine about it.

Honestly, I'm starting to want to see Evander get traded so he can play for a team who's fans appreciate what he does out there. I can guarantee you, especially with our new systems, we will miss him dearly.

I dont appreciate Kane acting like a suck.

Because that is what happened. He got all pissy and angry after Getzlaf muscled him off the puck and laid him out so he goes after the first Duck in his sights.

THAT is what happened. Let's stick to the facts.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Odd comment Jet, what do you mean by the bolded? You don't think I genuinely defended the guy to my peers before? Ok, that's fine of you to think...

However, I expect a 6 year veteran to be getting smarter with his game - not going the other way. Just giving my opinion as I sat there and watched him run a guy from behind right down the barrel of my sight lines as my 10 year old said "Dad, what is Kane doing, he hit him right in the back!"...just said, "I have no idea :("

Sorry, that wasn't pointed squarely at you, but I understand why you'd think that.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
you dont accept the eye test for pavelec and point to numbers to show why you agree that he's a bum. Yet for Kane you seem to want to use the same eye test to say he's good and the stats are wrong. i am confused.

i would be fine with kane if we couldnt get a sweet return on him and thats what i base my criticism on. he's a depreciating asset that is HUGELY over rated league wide. i want us to cash in on that now, befor he cant get us a 5th round pick,

You don't think that I use the 'eye test' to evaluate Pavelec? Really? I almost exclusively use it. I have continued to be critical of his play even through his good numbers this season because I see a lot of the old problems still in his game. Ask around, people will tell you.

Numbers support what I see, nothing more.

I did use numbers to suggest that Evander Kane, prior to this slump, scores about once every 3 games. That's a pretty great level of production for a fast, physical power forward.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I dont appreciate Kane acting like a suck.

Because that is what happened. He got all pissy and angry after Getzlaf muscled him off the puck and laid him out so he goes after the first Duck in his sights.

THAT is what happened. Let's stick to the facts.

Must have been the first player in NHL history that has done that right?

I didn't see people going up one side of Lowry and down another after what he did but his was actually more calculated and worse. He also has not demonstrated a body of work in the NHL of safe play which Evander has.

Facts. They are your friend.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
they were both bad hits. i figured one game for kane but im fine with two. he had his numbers for way to long to make a hit like that. just a dumb, reckless play on a player in a vulnerable position. kane had all the time in the world not to make that hit.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/jets-evander-kane-suspended-two-games-for-boarding-1.2865076

The NHL's department of player safety was disappointed that Kane lined up Stoner from across the ice.

"The onus is entirely upon Kane to avoid this check completely or, at the very least, minimize contact," Patrick Burke said on the video announcing the suspension. "Kane does neither."

IMO the way the NHL is looking at the Kane hit, is that Kane "targeted" ( my words ) Stoner, as opposed to a hit in the heat of the moment or a player turning his back at the last second.

Kane saw nothing but numbers for 20 feet and still chooses to make the hit. That's a suspension. Hence, two games instead of one. Stupid play that could have cost us the one point we were lucky to get.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
On 1290 Hustler and Lawless they alluded (GL) that this was a reputation call because of his chirping the refs prior to this year and then brought up when he shot the puck at a ref .....I don't remember this well, I vaguely recall it but I never thought it was intentional,really can't remember too much about it..does anybody remember this incident.

It seems that maybe the league was waiting to stick it to Kane and they were given an opportunity..pretty shady if you ask me.

However Kane and all our players need to be smarter but I would also like to see some questionable hits against Jets players be reviewed once in a while

If any of that is true, and I would hope it's not, that is pretty bush league. This is supposed to be an impartial board looking out for the safety of players. There should be nothing else involved in their use of their authority, except the video in front of them and history of similar past infractions.

If this board punishes Kane (and the Jets) because 'they don't like him', then it's time for the board to be replaced.

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
Must have been the first player in NHL history that has done that right?

I didn't see people going up one side of Lowry and down another after what he did but his was actually more calculated and worse. He also has not demonstrated a body of work in the NHL of safe play which Evander has.

Facts. They are your friend.

I never brought up the Lowry hit as a comparison. And no, of course Kane isn't the first player to do what he did.

But let's not sugar coat it by saying the great effort Kane puts forward on the ice when we are talking about one play. And on THAT play, he acted like a whiny suck who just had his ass handed to him - gets angry and went after the first guy he saw in his sights - then delivers an illegal hit. It was an anger-fuelled retaliation play because he felt embarrassed (from getting manhandled by Getzlaf a play earlier) and had to show everyone that he is Evander Kane - and no one can upstage 'the Natural' like that, right?

:shakehead

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/jets-evander-kane-suspended-two-games-for-boarding-1.2865076

The NHL's department of player safety was disappointed that Kane lined up Stoner from across the ice.

"The onus is entirely upon Kane to avoid this check completely or, at the very least, minimize contact," Patrick Burke said on the video announcing the suspension. "Kane does neither."

IMO the way the NHL is looking at the Kane hit, is that Kane "targeted" ( my words ) Stoner, as opposed to a hit in the heat of the moment or a player turning his back at the last second.

Kane saw nothing but numbers for 20 feet and still chooses to make the hit. That's a suspension. Hence, two games instead of one. Stupid play that could have cost us the one point we were lucky to get.

I agree with the NHL, Kane had one thing on his mind skating across the ice and it wasn't the puck!

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
I'm fine with the two games.

I'm also fine with Kane playing on the edge.
For a player as physical as Kane it shows how under control he is with this only being his first wrist slap by the league.

Kane hasn't been putting the puck in the net (or on the net lol) but the way he plays helps open the ice for his team mates.
I just don't understand the hate for him when pretty much every other fan base would love him.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=737306

Jordan Nolan Hit. Very Similar. Repeat offender got 2 games.

Seems like they treated Kane as if he were a repeat offender.

In fact Kane got a harsher punishment than Nolan. Nolan only got 2 minutes for that hit, whereas Kane got 5 minutes and was tossed from the game. Also, since Kane's salary is higher, he's forfeiting far more money than Nolan.

And now Kane misses out on the Jets' family trip. Bummer...

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I don't have any problem with the suspension, it is what it is. Kane made a foolish play and he'll cost his team over the run of three games for it (misconduct + suspension). Dumbass. I still like Kane's game though, outside of some stupid plays. But I can say that about a lot of guys, especially if we're looking at their work over the years in Winnipeg. Maybe Little escapes unscathed, maybe Enström, that'd be about it.

The irksome thing about this is the lousy inconsistency of what the NHL is doing. It's not just our players, it's all over the place. Man up and suspend what needs suspending (like Kane and Lowry's hits) but do it with consistency. The hits that have been taken by some Jets (Postma/Enström) have gone largely unpunished.

Kerry Fraser's review is close to perfect. Is the NHL fining its refs for missing the calls on Stoner after the fact? The punching was third man in/fighting, not roughing and certainly not 2 minutes. You are the guys that allow this crap to escalate. You see it in minor hockey and all the way up and in every sport. The job is to officiate the game without being intrusive and affecting the game. That's tough to do but it is the job of the refs. The Colorado game was another example of poor situation control by the refs. Maybe the solution for the NHL is to fine its officials when they screw up badly, that might be sufficient motivation to not let the situation get out of control.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Stupid hit. I was expecting one game but two. Ugggghhhhh NHL. If you're going to do this do it for all hits to the head and from behind. Tired of the lack of consistency

Whileee

May 29, 2010

They gave almost exactly the same description for Jordan Nolan's hit on Helm, with the added detail that Nolan loaded up and drove Helm's head against the glass.

Nolan is a repeat offender. Kane is not.

Nolan got 2 games.

What is the explanation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad