LeBrun: Evander Kane close to signing, will happen by the weekend per his agent (EDM, FLA, TB top 3 choices)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Kane scores at a 50 goal pace on MacDavid’s wing, easily and adds depth to a paper thin roster. I’d take a chance on him in a heartbeat. It’s not like Edmonton’s locker room could get worse.
People were saying that about Hyman too….. he hasn’t scored in 10 games.

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
I wouldn’t expect much from Kane this season. Hasn’t played a game in ages and it’s mighty rare that players missing that much time perform well.
Okay to sign him, just don’t do it with high expectations

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Looking at the Oilers from the outside, I'd say the truth is somewhere in between. The Oilers window is neither open nor closed, and that's neither a catastrophe or a reason to panic.

Having McDavid and Draisaitl is a terrific foundation, but obviously puts a ton of pressure for a win now mentality. Feels like the Oilers have a bit of an NBA structure where you have a superstar cast and then a cast of guys who are in and out of a revolving door. Right now it doesn't work well because the combination of guys doesn't seem to compliment McDrai, but it doesn't mean the right combination can't be found.

I look at the Florida Panthers as a close example of what the Oilers could do. They were a team who had Huberdeau, Barkov and Ekblad. Nothing worked for the longest time, but then they put together a few solid support cast adding Duclair, Verhaeghe, Hornqvist, Reinhart and Bennett over the past 1.5 years, Weegar took a quantum leap and all of a sudden are in business.
Yeah, people keep saying the big two contracts keep them from competing, or the Mythical Reliance on their High Picks (even when they literally sacrificing one 1OA for a defenseman on a value contract & made a terrible trade for a young defenseman with a 1st & 2nd).

If they had excellent defense at a good price (which is a must, Zito did wonders), other good forward contracts, actual depth, good goaltending…

The locker room seems like a mess, they might as well just lean into the desperation and throw Kane in. I don’t see how renting some mediocre but respectable good locker-room guy from a winning culture will turn these guys into the Bruins or whatever. (They literally tried that with Andrew Ference and even he admitted it was pointless exercise.)

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Looking at the Oilers from the outside, I'd say the truth is somewhere in between. The Oilers window is neither open nor closed, and that's neither a catastrophe or a reason to panic.

Having McDavid and Draisaitl is a terrific foundation, but obviously puts a ton of pressure for a win now mentality. Feels like the Oilers have a bit of an NBA structure where you have a superstar cast and then a cast of guys who are in and out of a revolving door. Right now it doesn't work well because the combination of guys doesn't seem to compliment McDrai, but it doesn't mean the right combination can't be found.

I look at the Florida Panthers as a close example of what the Oilers could do. They were a team who had Huberdeau, Barkov and Ekblad. Nothing worked for the longest time, but then they put together a few solid support cast adding Duclair, Verhaeghe, Hornqvist, Reinhart and Bennett over the past 1.5 years, Weegar took a quantum leap and all of a sudden are in business.
Well said.
But does Edmonton have anyone in a suit who actually knows how to build a team? Anyone?
A scout? An assistant gm?
It’s absolutely incredible that they have not been able to put even an average supporting cast around them even one time in all these mcdrai years.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
I think this is a no-brainer for most teams who are in big need of a top-6 winger, Unless they think they will be able to add something similar in another way and need the cap.
Because worst case scenario, you play Kane for a couple of games, if it doesnt work out, just waive him and thats that. 1 year contract.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I guess Kane's idea is to sign a cheap 1-year deal, score a lot, not have any more incidents, and then get a better deal in the offseason.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

Zito >> Holland

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I do not believe the contract will he reinstated. Most likely, Sharks and the NHLPA will have a cash settlement. Kane gets a % of his 23M that was owing divided by three years, with no cap penalty.
Almost certainly not. Mike Richards contract was terminated, and he got 60% of his remaining contract, with LA getting hit with 17 years of termination cap hit on top of 5 years of cap Recapture. SJ will likely be hit with 10+years of cap termination and 3+ years of cap recapture.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
SJ was willing to retain and nobody traded for him. My guess is he's looking around 2.5-3.5 million to truly get another NHL shot. Will depend how many suitors are interested.
I don't think his salary was the issue there at all, much more likely the term.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Kane to the Oilers would be good in the off season or if the Oilers were good this year.

But the Oilers are have lost 12 of 14 they are falling to the center of the earth this isn't the team right now.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Kane to the Oilers would be good in the off season or if the Oilers were good this year.

But the Oilers are have lost 12 of 14 they are falling to the center of the earth this isn't the team right now.
Kane to Edmonton makes zero sense without a huge overpayment. Unless that's his only available option. He would likely go East to a contender if they will take him. Holland is also completely out of touch with his own team if he thinks he can add Kane to that locker room with the way it is right now

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

If anything, I feel like this is the perfect justification to add him.

Adding Kane is an absolute Hail Mary move. It's not a move a safe team makes. It's a move a desperate team makes. And frankly, the Oilers are super desperate right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad