Player Discussion Evan Bouchard

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I have covered this already. Its not about being perfect.
Its about being better than Bouchard currently is.

I dont think that Bouchard is at that level yet.

I think that Bouchard still has some room to grow. Its not about Bouchard being perfect but its about him being better than he has been defenisvely.
Its really simple.
Playoffs as a whole, Bouchard's been on for 95 high danger chances and 50 against.

Florida specifically, he's been on for 9 for and 5 against.

Everyone's thrilled with Broberg, but he's been on for 10 against in ~70% of Bouchard's minutes.

The difference, as usual, is who's getting the saves. Broberg's got an on-ice save percentage of .961, Bouchard's is .895. I really don't think Bouchard's been poor defensively at all.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Playoffs as a whole, Bouchard's been on for 95 high danger chances and 50 against.

Everyone's thrilled with Broberg, but he's been on for 10 against in ~70% of Bouchard's minutes.

The difference, as usual, is who's getting the saves. Broberg's got an on-ice save percentage of .961, Bouchard's is .895. I really don't think Bouchard's been poor defensively at all.
I havent even mentioned Broberg who deserves some props for being a rookie player and coming into the biggest stage in hockey and playing this well.
We shall just have to agree to disagree on Bouchard.
These playoffs more than anything have confimed for me that Bouchard is just not a finsihed product defensively.

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

They had some good moments but both were giving away the puck last night.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I havent even mentioned Broberg who deserves some props for being a rookie player and coming into the biggest stage in hockey and playing this well.
We shall just have to agree to disagree on Bouchard.
These playoffs more than anything have confimed for me that Bouchard is just not a finsihed product defensively.
Presumably, that same logic should apply to Skinner as well. 25 is an infant for an NHL starter.

We have this mindset that we're an old-ass team that needs to win now (and we absolutely do need to win now) but lots of our key pieces are pretty young still.

I'm more worried about the vets that have no shown this series than I am about Bouchard.

Reactions: MessierII

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Presumably, that same logic should apply to Skinner as well. 25 is an infant for an NHL starter.

We have this mindset that we're an old-ass team that needs to win now (and we absolutely do need to win now) but lots of our key pieces are pretty young still.

I'm more worried about the vets that have no shown this series than I am about Bouchard.
I agree with you completley on this. I am not at all worried about Bouchard moving forward.
He will be just fine IMO. These playoffs have been a great learning experience for him.

I think that Skinner was in over his head in these playoffs. He should grow from this as well.
Regarding Bob...his first couple of seasons in Florida he was basically a big money bust.
Bob is now an experienced vet goalie who had to grow into his game in Florida.

As for the age of the Oilers...this really isnt an old ass team in the important areas IMO. Remove a few peripheral players (Perry, Henrique and Ryan) and the age of the team drops dramatically.

Last edited:

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I know he’s not a finished product, I also know he’s very good in his own zone, all the numbers and stats back this up.

But according to you, to be an elite D man you have to be elite in both ends.

Thanks for confirming Karlsson was never elite, or does your narrative change only for Bouchard?
LMAO. Enough with your stats and numbers. He's not very good in his own zone. Just admit it. His turnovers and casual play has been killing us.

I've admitted when Bouchard has had great games, yet you refuse to admit that he's pretty sub par defensively at this time in his career.

We are in the Stanley Cup Finals. We're down 3-0. It's soul crushing.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Bouchard also struggles a lot rushing the puck out of his one zone. He hesitates and if there is no pass to be made he doesn't skate the puck with speed into the oppositions end of the ice.

Florida is taking away his breakout passes and giving him all the space to use his legs and enter their zone, but he won't. He slowly and casually skates the puck up ice. He needs coaching in this regard.

He will get better, but were in the finals and there is isn't a lot of room for error.

Reactions: MarotteMarauder

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
LMAO. Enough with your stats and numbers. He's not very good in his own zone. Just admit it. His turnovers and casual play has been killing us.

I've admitted when Bouchard has had great games, yet you refuse to admit that he's pretty sub par defensively at this time in his career.

We are in the Stanley Cup Finals. We're down 3-0. It's soul crushing.
You hate objective stats and much prefer the biased eye test?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Bouchard also struggles a lot rushing the puck out of his one zone. He hesitates and if there is no pass to be made he doesn't skate the puck with speed into the oppositions end of the ice.

Florida is taking away his breakout passes and giving him all the space to use his legs and enter their zone, but he won't. He slowly and casually skates the puck up ice. He needs coaching in this regard.

He will get better, but were in the finals and there is isn't a lot of room for error.

This is a bananas take, Florida isn't giving anyone any time or space to skate the puck up, what are you watching?

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
This is a bananas take, Florida isn't giving anyone any time or space to skate the puck up, what are you watching?
watch the game. Bouchard will never break the puck in himself.

The Panthers give us no space other than when Bouchard, Ceci, VDD skate the puck up and then they say "beat us with your legs" or "pass if you dare"

Last edited:

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I agree with you completley on this. I am not at all worried about Bouchard moving forward.
He will be just fine IMO. These playoffs have been a great learning experience for him.

I think that Skinner was in over his head in these playoffs. He should grow from this as well.
Regarding Bob...his first couple of seasons in Florida he was basically a big money bust.
Bob is now an experienced vet goalie who had to grow into his game in Florida.

As for the age of the Oilers...this really isnt an old ass team in the important areas IMO. Remove a few peripheral players (Perry, Henrique and Ryan) and the age of the team drops dramatically.
Bob is a 2x Vezina winner isn't he?

Holding any goalie to that same bar isn't exactly realistic or reasonable.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Bob is a 2x Vezina winner isn't he?

Holding any goalie to that same bar isn't exactly realistic or reasonable.
I am not holding Bob and Skinner to the same standard.
I just pointed out that when Bob first arrived in Florida he wasnt very good.
That lasted for a couple of seasons.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

This is you dumbest post yet. The Oilers are down 3-o to Fla and your blinders have you blaming Bouchard now for everything, including fabrications. Based on this post and another it's painfully obvious you do NOT understand the game, or read it properly. Now you're blaming Bouchard for not skating the puck into the offensive zone enough LMAO. Pure stupidity.

The actual facts are he has been very good at breaking up the ice. and beating that Fla neutral zone dominance. . In game 2 where Fla totally choked off the neutral zone Bouchard made over a handful of cross ice passes that Hyman couldn't do anything with after he entered. He made these passes by waiting, skating slower, forcing Fla to flinch, then passed cross ice. He's done this all series to numerous zone entries and has been VERY successful at getting the Oil in the ozone.

It's totally embarrassing that you have now resorted to making stuff up out of thin air to attack this player. Suggesting he's hurting Edm in the neutral zone now too? Bouchard has had his warts this game for sure, but neutral plays have definitely not been one of them. Your dunce level takes aside

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
watch the game. Bouchard will never break the puck in himself.

The Panthers give us no space other than when Bouchard, Ceci, VDD skate the puck up and then they say "beat us with your legs" or "pass if you dare"
LMAO. He's entered the ozone many times this series, and at a decent rate for a defender. Probably more than any Panther dman to boot

We're 3 games in and I can think of 5x off the top of my head where he skated it in.

Last edited:

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
This is you dumbest post yet. The Oilers are down 3-o to Fla and your blinders have you blaming Bouchard now for everything, including fabrications. Based on this post and another it's painfully obvious you do NOT understand the game, or read it properly. Now you're blaming Bouchard for not skating the puck into the offensive zone enough LMAO. Pure stupidity.

The actual facts are he has been very good at breaking up the ice. and beating that Fla neutral zone dominance. . In game 2 where Fla totally choked off the neutral zone Bouchard made over a handful of cross ice passes that Hyman couldn't do anything with after he entered. He made these passes by waiting, skating slower, forcing Fla to flinch, then passed cross ice. He's done this all series to numerous zone entries and has been VERY successful at getting the Oil in the ozone.

It's totally embarrassing that you have now resorted to making stuff up out of thin air to attack this player. Suggesting he's hurting Edm in the neutral zone now too? Bouchard has had his warts this game for sure, but neutral plays have definitely not been one of them. Your dunce level takes aside
Bouchard has a great break out pass but definitely isn't great (like other elite d) at skating the puck himself into the zone. We can agree to disagree on this.

Although you do have to agree that Bouchard has been terrible this series.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Bouchard has a great break out pass but definitely isn't great (like other elite d) at skating the puck himself into the zone. We can agree to disagree on this.

I'm not sure why you think Draisaitl has low hockey IQ also, he's considered one of the best players in the NHL

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

There is a long list of players who have not been right in this series. IMHO, Bouch is trying to do too much, with the immense extra pressure on him, due to players like Draisaitl playing badly, McDavid struggling with the extra load, and Hyman and Nuge not doing anything.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
McDavid gave Bouchard a 2 foot drop at the blueline with Barkov pressuring. Bouchard tried a sidestep/fake move as he's done several times throughout these playoffs with success, but got stuffed by Barkov this time.
You specifically called Bouchard a "low hockey IQ" player on this play for not recognizing that it was Barkov.

Well, you know who tried to spin and deke Barkov SEVERAL times this series? Draisaitl. So it's pretty simple logic...no scratch that...it's YOUR logic

If Bouchard has low IQ for trying to burn Barkov with a move instead of passing it once he recognized it was him, well then Drai must have even less hockey IQ by trying 3-4 times and failing everytime

Like I said, you suggesting a player like Drai of being a low IQ player is a pretty bad take

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
McDavid gave Bouchard a 2 foot drop at the blueline with Barkov pressuring. Bouchard tried a sidestep/fake move as he's done several times throughout these playoffs with success, but got stuffed by Barkov this time.
You specifically called Bouchard a "low hockey IQ" player on this play for not recognizing that it was Barkov.

Well, you know who tried to spin and deke Barkov SEVERAL times this series? Draisaitl. So it's pretty simple logic...no scratch that...it's YOUR logic

If Bouchard has low IQ for trying to burn Barkov with a move instead of passing it once he recognized it was him, well then Drai must have even less hockey IQ by trying 3-4 times and failing everytime

Like I said, you suggesting a player like Drai of being a low IQ player is a pretty bad take
These few posters will do anything to discredit Bouchard, yet when you bring up comparable plays by other great players.

They just ignore it or move the goalposts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad