Player Discussion Evan Bouchard

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Garbage series so far. No excuses.

However, the blocked shots and strips at the blueline have been Barkov, so let some semblance of logic kick in. He's done that to EVERYONE in an Oiler uniform so far. Bouchard is not the scapegoat you are looking for here as he's one of many getting owned by him
You need to realize that he should have the IQ to acknowledge that it's Barkov on him and not to make that move as the last man back. Bouchard processes the game too slowly, this is what will prevent him from becoming truly elite.

We play a good enough game to win but constantly keep shooting ourself in the foot.

Bouchard turn over, Nurse turnover, Skinner turnover. All are guilty.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He’s been elite at both ends of the rink this year.
Its one thing to be a fan and a another thing entirely to be a fanboy.

Sure, honestly they should move him before he's exposed
You are better than this.
Ridiculous post.

This is exactly why I wanted to see more before annointing him as an elite overall dman.

Bouchard still has room to grow. He is just not there yet regardless of how badly you and some other fans want him to be.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Its one thing to be a fan and a another thing entirely to be a fanboy.

You are better than this.
Ridiculous post.

This is exactly why I wanted to see more before annointing him as an elite overall dman.

Bouchard still has room to grow. He is just not there yet regardless of how badly you and some other fans want him to be.
I'm sort of being ridiculous for a point.

Bouchard is a #1 defenseman, none of them are flawless. He looks like he's running out of gas and having struggles with the Finals.

It sucks, but the player will be amazing.

If people believe, though, that he's basically a slightly better taller Tyson Barrie or that he's end up "overpaid" then trade him.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm sort of being ridiculous for a point.

Bouchard is a #1 defenseman, none of them are flawless. He looks like he's running out of gas and having struggles with the Finals.

It sucks, but the player will be amazing.

If people believe, though, that he's basically a slightly better taller Tyson Barrie or that he's end up "overpaid" then trade him.
Its not about being flawless. Thats not at all the point.
The type of the mistakes he has made and the volume are not indicative of an elite defenisve dman no matter how hard you want it to be true.
I think that he has the potential to be a better/more consistent dman defensively with time.
He isnt there there yet. Not at this level.
He is a #1 offensive dman who has room to improve defensively.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The level of the mistakes he has made and the volume are not indicative of an elite defenisve dman no matter how hard you want it to be true.
I think that he has the potential to be a better dman defensively with time. He isnt there there yet.
It's ALWAYS the point. There's ALWAYS the assumption "well these other guys don't make those mistakes" which is fundamentally not true in any sense.

He's having mighty struggles right now, He's still producing chances, but not on the score board (because none of the big dogs are right now).

He will be fine, he will tilt the ice, and people will continue to ignore how good he is because they want him to be something he's not and doesn't need to be.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's ALWAYS the point. There's ALWAYS the assumption "well these other guys don't make those mistakes" which is fundamentally not true in any sense.

He's having mighty struggles right now, He's still producing, but not on the score board (because none of the big dogs are right now).

He will be fine, he will tilt the ice, and people will continue to ignore how good he is because they want him to be something he's not and doesn't need to be.
Well...that may be true for you but thats not what I am saying at all.

He is a #1 dman offensively with room to grow defensively.
Thats my point and its accurately reflected by his play.
He is not yet a finsihed product.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Unfortunately not a great series from him.

Other than Broberg though I don't think any of our defensemen are having a good series.
It looks worse than it is because his shots keep getting blocked because Florida did a good job pre scouting him.

That said. scoring chances are 26-13 with Bouchard on the ice. He's been on for 2 5v5 goals against.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The type of the mistakes he has made and the volume are not indicative of an elite defenisve dman no matter how hard you want it to be true.
I think that he has the potential to be a better/more consistent dman defensively with time.
He isnt there there yet. Not at this level.
He is a #1 offensive dman who has room to improve defensively.
I guess you think Erik karlsson was never a #1 D man.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It looks worse than it is because his shots keep getting blocked because Florida did a good job pre scouting him.

That said. scoring chances are 26-13 with Bouchard on the ice. He's been on for 2 5v5 goals against.

Think a big issue for all our top guys, McDavid and Drai included is that our wingers have been useless and invisible. Options are near zero for playmaking for McDrai. This makes life hard for the D too to have options to break out and to make plays from the blue line in the offensive zone.

Our team just looks busted now with only a few guys that look like they can still do anything with the puck 5v5. And our powerplay is ruined too with Hyman and Drai looking like dried up husks.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I dont care about Karlsson.

Bouchard will be a better player in time.
Just admit that he isnt a finished product.
Its not that hard.
I know he’s not a finished product, I also know he’s very good in his own zone, all the numbers and stats back this up.

But according to you, to be an elite D man you have to be elite in both ends.

Thanks for confirming Karlsson was never elite, or does your narrative change only for Bouchard?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I know he’s not a finished product, I also know he’s very good in his own zone, all the numbers and stats back this up.

But according to you, to be an elite D man you have to be elite in both ends.

Thanks for confirming Karlsson was never elite, or does your narrative change only for Bouchard?
LOL
He is inconsistent in his own zone. He is still too casual at times....prone to making very bad decisions.
He is still young. He will figure it out and improve IMO.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
See the edit.
This might shock you, but even the best defensive D men make mistakes in their own zone.

Players who play lots of minutes and in key situations will make mistakes.

This issue is that you and shitshoes only focus on the bad plays he makes and not the numerous good ones.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This might shock you, but even the best defensive D men make mistakes in their own zone.

Players who play lots of minutes and in key situations will make mistakes.

This issue is that you and shitshoes only focus on the bad plays he makes and not the numerous good ones.
I have covered this already. Its not about being perfect.
Its about being better than Bouchard currently is.

I mean, you DID dodge his question. Karlsson has three Norris trophies and he's never been better than adequate in his own zone.
I dont think that Bouchard is at that level yet. Karlsson wasnt perfect defenisvley by any means however his defenisve play was better than Bouchard has been.
I dont even agree with the NHL standard for Norris candidates either because its all about offence. There are a few standards that NHL has that I dont agree with...playoff reffing is another one.

I think that Bouchard still has some room to grow. Its not about Bouchard being perfect but its about him being better than he has been defenisvely.
Its really simple.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad