Speculation: Evan Bouchard asking $11M AAV on his next deal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Oilers need to buy our Nurse to be able to afford the rest of the team if they sign Bouchard to this. I think Bouchard is probably more in line with Nurse's salary and Nurse probably is more in line with 1/3 of his current salary.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
11M get bent. So much for Team discounts. Draisaitl never took one either. McDavid won't either.
Draisaitl could have taken and got more from both the Oilers and the open market.

McDavid could get a max contract and anything less is a discount.

Bouchard has a fraction of the career earnings as both of the above. There is little expectation that he takes a discount - especially relative to the other two.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Draisaitl could have taken and got more from both the Oilers and the open market.

McDavid could get a max contract and anything less is a discount.

Bouchard has a fraction of the career earnings as both of the above. There is little expectation that he takes a discount - especially relative to the other two.
Draisaitl got his max deal. McDavid will get max. Bouchard not worth 11.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Seider and Faber both got 8.5 on 8yr deals and i'd put Bouchard ahead of both
Realistically he's getting around 10-10.5

Reactions: PuckG

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
11M get bent. So much for Team discounts. Draisaitl never took one either. McDavid won't either.
Draisaitl got market value, McDavid I can see taking a slight discount but he also has other sources of income. Bouchard at 11 million could turn into Nurse 2.0, Bouchard has had one good season and it’s largely due to having a good defensive partner in Ekholm. If Ekholm starts to slow down and you need a guy to help cover your 11 million defender…. It’ll get ugly

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That's precisely why they aren't signing that extension now. If he repeats what he did last year, 11M is in line with what the market will be for a a point per game defenseman. Despite the narrative, he isn't just a point merchant living off of McDavid and Draisaitl, he's a top tier offensive defenseman, and nobody should expect him to take a smaller cap hit than what his stat line suggests he is worth.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I would just offer him 2 yrs x 8 per. Tell him he’s leaving a little on the table for the opportunity to have earliest available UFA status. If his defensive game grows then he’s worth 11 (or more). But if it stays the same and he’s just a real good offensive Dman, then he can be someone else’s contract mistake.
Unless he's looking to leave Edmonton and pick this destination this doesn't work anymore. Why wait until UFA status when he can get it now?

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I think Evan Bouchard is overrated defensively by some Oiler fans but he is elite offensively and has played great in the playoffs. Realistically I think 10 million for him. It depends on where the cap is though. If Bouchard scores 90 points this season, which he has potential to do, it might be tough to argue against.

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
I enjoy having a good team and reading shitty and meh teams be jealous.... thank you mains!

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Draisaitl got market value, McDavid I can see taking a slight discount but he also has other sources of income. Bouchard at 11 million could turn into Nurse 2.0, Bouchard has had one good season and it’s largely due to having a good defensive partner in Ekholm. If Ekholm starts to slow down and you need a guy to help cover your 11 million defender…. It’ll get ugly
Exactly. Plain as day to seen

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
Try to lock him up at 8 by 10 mil. It would be an insult to pay him less than Nurse. I’m not sure he’s “elite”, but he fits in well with that offence and that’s all that matters. Bridge deals can be risky, especially if you’re trying to cheap out on the player.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
no he didn't...Drai easily gets 15AAV on the market
That is likely his retirement contract though. Oilers gave him $112 million, he would have had to get $16 x 7 in UFA to equal that. Not to mention all of that money is in signing bonuses, it's front loaded, and he got a full NMC. Draisaitl left nothing on the table, nothing.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
That is likely his retirement contract though. Oilers gave him $112 million, he would have had to get $16 x 7 in UFA to equal that. Not to mention all of that money is in signing bonuses, it's front loaded, and he got a full NMC. Draisaitl left nothing on the table, nothing.
he could've easily asked for 15 mil and the Oilers give him that though

and even at 14 mil, he was VASTLY underpaid for 8 years

he deserves every penny

Reactions: PuckG

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Albatross contract in a few years.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Wild.
If I was Bouchard I'd take $8x8 and hope the Oilers can add a few guys with the extra bucks.

$11m for him seems wild. But def wouldn't wanna be paid less than Nurse I guess.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Nurse can get $9.25M, then it's a fair ask, right? :dunno:

Honestly yeah this is what it comes down to.

Different teams have different pay scales for what they pay players. For the longest time, Crosby was the highest paid player on the Penguins at $8.7 million and Malkin directly asked him if Crosby was okay with him getting an extension above that. Nurse is making $9.25 million for the Oilers and Bouchard is clearly better, so why wouldn't Bouchard ask for more?

Is Bouchard worth that? Hell no, but it doesn't matter if he's worth that on the open market when he has an inferior defenseman on his team making what Nurse is making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad