Proposal: Erik Karlsson To Leafs for Nylander?

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Half the items you listed are transition and not defense. Everybody does those things, some just do them better.

Pass breakups I'll give you. But there's been nothing short of hero worship in this thread alone, and I don't see how somebody who is so unbalanced of a player gets that kind of adulation, no matter how excellent he is at his strengths.

But hey, it's not my team that's interested in dealing for him. So somebody else can spin their wheels with him.

So what you're saying is you want the Wings to pivot from Debrincat to EK? ;)

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
wow, Some SJ fans are over valuing EK greatly. One great year after 3 so so years?
I think you're looking at it wrong. Many said he was done, especially when the injuries happened. Many said he didn't look like the same guy he was on Ottawa prior to Matt Cooke. Erik went out and showed that now that he's healthy he's just as good, if not better, than he was when he was 25-26.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Half the items you listed are transition and not defense. Everybody does those things, some just do them better.

Pass breakups I'll give you. But there's been nothing short of hero worship in this thread alone, and I don't see how somebody who is so unbalanced of a player gets that kind of adulation, no matter how excellent he is at his strengths.

But hey, it's not my team that's interested in dealing for him. So somebody else can spin their wheels with him.
He's top 10 in takeaways and amongst a number of more defensively-minded Dmen with shot blocks. So add puck retrieval back in along with pass breakups and your argument that he doesn't play D at all falls like a house of cards.

Reactions: Pavelski2112

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
We don’t need EK we have enough forwards that can put up points we need someone who is tough to play against defensively and EK is not that guy

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
He's top 10 in takeaways and amongst a number of more defensively-minded Dmen with shot blocks. So add puck retrieval back in along with pass breakups and your argument that he doesn't play D at all falls like a house of cards.
Then San Jose can keep him. Clearly he has carried them to greatness and will continue to do so.

Or Toronto can have him. A guy known for offense is just what they need.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
People can rag on Willy, but he’s come a long way, and is a nice asset. He’s the one guy (core 4) who fought until the very end last playoff, when the series started to look like a lost cause.

He doesn’t have nearly the ceiling of our two fakers, but he may have more bite.

4,3,2,1 seconds until someone shows me his hits count compared to M&M’s phantom hits, which were not memorable (I don’t really remember all too many) and definitely not impactful.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Then San Jose can keep him. Clearly he has carried them to greatness and will continue to do so.

Can't argue with that. I'd feel pretty confident in a core 4 that's managed to win one playoff series in like 6 years.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC

In other words, you've been roasted on facts and still are committed to reductio ad absurdum. Congrats champ.

Reactions: Grinner

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
In other words, you've been roasted on facts and still are committed to reductio ad absurdum. Congrats champ.
I'm not roasted on anything. I admitted there are things he's very very good at, and admitted that some of those things are more within the realm of defensive play than I first realized. But I still wouldn't want him on my team.

You're free to like him, trade him away, trade for him, or do whatever you please. As are fans of any team. But saying a guy is a great player is very different than saying he's one of the top 3 in the sport, or acting as if his value to a playoff team should be through the roof, regardless of what roster and associated skill sets are placed around him.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
He's also worth a lot more than Nylander.
Karlsson is a very good hockey player who’s looked like a top 5 dman last season. He’s getting older and has a scary injury history on top of coming off 4 or 5 awful seasons in a row. He is definitely overpaid at this point and I’m not sure a team would take him for free at his cap hit. If he was retained down to let’s say 8 mil then he would have very high value. Probably more then Nylander.

By awful I mean to the standards of a 11.5 million dollar player ( should be Atleast as good as a prime Bobby Orr getting payed that salary )

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Isnt the purpose of trading EK to get rid of a bad contract? Why would they want to trade him for a player that is about to become a bad contract?

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Isnt the purpose of trading EK to get rid of a bad contract? Why would they want to trade him for a player that is about to become a bad contract?
Yea, Nylander isn't a player the Sharks are interested in, as much of a fan of him I am personally. The timelines don't make sense. Same reason why we don't want EK at the moment - he's legitimately just too good for this team. Him putting up 101 points gave us Will Smith instead of potentially Connor Bedard.

That said, the Sharks won't need that cap space until at least around the time the contract is up. They're not contending for a while and from my perspective, trading him is about 1. getting the best value you can while he's a recent Norris winner, and 2. to do the guy a favor.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Holey shit hahaha.
a dominant play driving defenseman is more important than just another good forward playing with other good forwards. Apparently, Toronto fans are the last to realize that. Reilly was perhaps the team’s best player in their first round against Tampa.

Simply put, you can name three dozen (at least) forwards that can do what Nylander can do. You can maybe use one hand to name the number of defencemen that can do what Erik does.

Reactions: Grinner

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
We don’t need EK we have enough forwards that can put up points we need someone who is tough to play against defensively and EK is not that guy

They need a D who can keep the puck out of his own net, not in it.

Reactions: peconcan

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
He's also worth a lot more than Nylander.
For sure. Plenty of teams with $11.5m in cap space waiting to trade assets for a 33 year old dman who doesn't play d. Guy is immovable. BOS can't even get a get more than a 5th round pick for Vezina winner Ullmark and his $5m cap hit.

Reactions: LOFIN

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
objectively, the leafs have a better chance of winning the cup with karlsson than nylander in the lineup.

what would vegas do?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad