Proposal: Erik Karlsson To Leafs for Nylander?

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Nylander is probably gonna want 11 at 8 years.
Toronto has reportedly offered him 8 while his camp has requested 10. He’ll probably settle somewhere around 9 but given hes 27 and coming off an 87pt season I don’t think 10 is totally unrealistic.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Oh, is that what we are gonna do? Make up a worse case scenario and then pretend its a fact? Lol

Sorry that I dont feel Karlsson is as valuable as you do.
I mean he's basically said he deserves at least 10 or more, no? I'm just saying teams won't necessarily be lining up to drop 85-90 million on him so any team trading for him this deadline probably view him as a rental. That's all. Not a worst case scenario. Just a fact.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I understand there are lots of ways to play while on the ice. I'm not asking him to throw open ice hip checks or be a monster in clearing the crease. But you'll never convince me that he's actively engaged in neutralizing the opposition, as opposed to just waiting for his next chance to play offense.

There are literally videos of him watching opposing forwards skate past him, as though it would be too big an inconvenience for him to intervene.
Wow. You've seen videos. Hell, I'm convinced.

• Haha
Reactions: HabzSauce

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
If it’s a 1 for 1 player deal it’s gonna take Matthews. Karlsson is a game changer, Nylander is a luxury piece when on a good contract and he’s going to want a significant raise that he’s not worth.
:skull:

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Toronto has reportedly offered him 8 while his camp has requested 10. He’ll probably settle somewhere around 9 but given hes 27 and coming off an 87pt season I don’t think 10 is totally unrealistic.
If he plays out the year and the cap goes up 4 million or so next year he's gonna bump up his ask. That or some team out there will give him that on the open market when there's a bidding war.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
If he plays out the year and the cap goes up 4 million or so next year he's gonna bump up his ask. That or some team out there will give him that on the open market when there's a bidding war.
By that logic we should give him 10 without protection and trade him at the deadline.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I mean he's basically said he deserves at least 10 or more, no? I'm just saying teams won't necessarily be lining up to drop 85-90 million on him so any team trading for him this deadline probably view him as a rental. That's all. Not a worst case scenario. Just a fact.
So its a fact, that asking for 10 means he gets 11 million. Just a fact. Thats how contracts are negotiated, you ask for something, counter offer comes in at a little less and you settle for more than either party wanted :laugh:

Next youll be telling me about how hes gonna sign then turn around and request a trade, but only if the leafs retain 50% and only to one specific team who refuses to give up anything of value, haha! STUPID LEAFS GET FACTED

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
For Karlsson? Are you crazy, KAlrson hAS term and Matthews is just a rental!
That’s what I mean. Karlsson is an unrealistic player for the leafs to obtain. I think the sharks are going to ask for a package of young picks and prospects.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
So its a fact, that asking for 10 means he gets 11 million. Just a fact. Thats how contracts are negotiated, you ask for something, counter offer comes in at a little less and you settle for more than either party wanted :laugh:

Next youll be telling me about how hes gonna sign then turn around and request a trade, but only if the leafs retain 50% and only to one specific team who refuses to give up anything of value, haha! STUPID LEAFS GET FACTED
Do you not think he'll ask for more next year with a higher cap ceiling not to mention on the open market? He'll stay with the team he's on for 10 but you honestly don't think that number goes up next year, especially if he maintains a ppg pace?

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Do you not think he'll ask for more next year with a higher cap ceiling not to mention on the open market? He'll stay with the team he's on for 10 but you honestly don't think that number goes up next year, especially if he maintains a ppg pace?
But you said nobody is willing to pay him that, so how could he possibly get more?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
By that logic we should give him 10 without protection and trade him at the deadline.
Probably should. good luck getting players to ever sign with you guys again though without a full NMC after that.

But you said nobody is willing to pay him that, so how could he possibly get more?
Because I said teams won't be lining up to pay him 85-90 million? He'll get a bid or two from a team needing star power, but the difference with EK is with Erik it's half the length, retention from the sharks and undoubtedly a cap dump so the reality is it's 3 years with erik at around 9.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I understand there are lots of ways to play while on the ice. I'm not asking him to throw open ice hip checks or be a monster in clearing the crease. But you'll never convince me that he's actively engaged in neutralizing the opposition, as opposed to just waiting for his next chance to play offense.

There are literally videos of him watching opposing forwards skate past him, as though it would be too big an inconvenience for him to intervene.
He's literally one of the best at taking the puck away and moving out of the defensive zone. Those are pretty big damn staples to defensive play that people like you conveniently ignore.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
#1. The Leafs signed Klingberg 4 Days Ago. If they had any interest in Erik Karlsson, that interest dies when they sign a player who brings very, very similar things. There is no room on Toronto's D for all of Rielly, Karlsson, and Klingberg.

#2. Rewind 5 days ago, and yes, there's a justification for doing this deal from Toronto's standpoint, but it would still require substantial retention from San Jose, and their ability to value Nylander may be limited given that he may or may not be willing to sign long term there.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
If it’s a 1 for 1 player deal it’s gonna take Matthews. Karlsson is a game changer, Nylander is a luxury piece when on a good contract and he’s going to want a significant raise that he’s not worth.

For Austin Matthews? Sure

Because 26 year-old Auston Matthews is more valuable than a 33 year-old Karlsson regardless of term or contract.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
#1. The Leafs signed Klingberg 4 Days Ago. If they had any interest in Erik Karlsson, that interest dies when they sign a player who brings very, very similar things. There is no room on Toronto's D for all of Rielly, Karlsson, and Klingberg.

#2. Rewind 5 days ago, and yes, there's a justification for doing this deal from Toronto's standpoint, but it would still require substantial retention from San Jose, and their ability to value Nylander may be limited given that he may or may not be willing to sign long term there.
I don't think Toronto is a good fit for Karlsson, but comparing Klingberg to Karlsson is like comparing a Honda Civic to a McLaren

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I will never understand the infatuation with this guy. Be who you are and stop pretending to be a defenseman. Treat him like a 5th forward and evaluate him as such, but nobody should ever have paid him anywhere near $11.5M AAV because he's some sort of unicorn defenseman.

He. Never. Plays. Defense.
Your definition of defense seems pretty limited. He is elite at puck retrieval, zone exits, pass breakups, outlet passing, etc. Those are all undeniable D skills. When you add in his puck possession numbers which many coaches see as an extension of defense because it denies the other team the puck, you do have a unicorn.

Reactions: Pavelski2112

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Your definition of defense seems pretty limited. He is elite at puck retrieval, zone entries, pass breakups, outlet passing, etc. Those are all undeniable D skills. When you add in his puck possession numbers which many coaches see as an extension of defense because it denies the other team the puck, you do have a unicorn.
Half the items you listed are transition and not defense. Everybody does those things, some just do them better.

Pass breakups I'll give you. But there's been nothing short of hero worship in this thread alone, and I don't see how somebody who is so unbalanced of a player gets that kind of adulation, no matter how excellent he is at his strengths.

But hey, it's not my team that's interested in dealing for him. So somebody else can spin their wheels with him.

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
This would be a done deal 1 for 1 if the Sharks knew they could get Nylander to sign. I doubt he would sign though.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Can something like this be worked out?

Anaheim helping out for a draft pick?
As a Sharks fan I have to say no thanks.
I'm not interested in bringing in a player just to turn around and flipp him. Wh6 would either party consider the other long term?
Nylander can't have much interest in toiling for a team bound to lose for some time, and the Sharks traded away a better player in Timo Meier because they didn't feel the costs of retaining him vs the teams projected standings made economic sense for them
( per Grier).
Prospects and picks is what we should be seeking. Retention and or talking back salary to help facilitate a better trade seems pretty necessary

This would be a done deal 1 for 1 if the Sharks knew they could get Nylander to sign. I doubt he would sign though.
No it wouldn't

No it wouldn't

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad