Value of: Erik Karlsson @ 50%

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
I don't think the Penguins should be retaining that long on Karlsson, at least not right now.

Sell him off in 2026 with that kind of retention when he has 1 or 2 years left.
It is long, but the intent was to maximize the return.... although so far, it does not sound promising :)
Also, Petry and Smith come off the books as well as Jack Johnson over the next year (2 for JJ). We are not competing over the next 3 years, so the thought was 'why not'!

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
EK has value at 50% for sure but if he was getting moved would have been better idea to trade him before everyone blew their cap space in free agency. Trade deadline he would again be someone to check on especially if he's healthy at that point. I think there would be plenty of suitors for him at 50%.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Pens would be looking for draft picks and prospects. No cap dumps or older roster players.

I, on the other hand, would be completely fine with the Pens retaining 50% on EK AND taking back cap dumps or bad money, barring some notable exceptions.

For example, how much would Edmonton pay in futures to switch Ceci at 3.25M (and some asset to even out the $$$) for EK at 5M? Or how much would Vegas pay to swap Pietro at his salary for EK at 8M? These are just random examples, but I would think any contending team would jump at the chance for a major upgrade when they're within striking distance of the cup.

If some team is willing to take a (still) premiere player in the middle of their contention window, and salary is the only thing holding it back, I dont care. Take the money back. Before EK's value drops off for good. The Pens have shown their direction, clearly, with Hayes. I'm fine embracing that direction with zero stipulations.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
What about Karlsson back to the Sharks? He goes from a non-competing team at the very start of their rebuild to a non-competing team in the middle of their rebuild.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
That doesn't make any sense...
If a team is willing and able to eat 50%, Pittsburgh would love to keep Karlsson.
So think of EK as a $5m player and the other $5m is an invisible player

existing scenario is you have what you "would love to keep" + the invisible player
or
trade scenario is you have the return + the invisible player

sounds like the OP would prefer the return over EK since the other part is equal

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad