Is Nathan MacKinnon Better Than Prime Yzerman?

Is MacKinnon better than Yzerman in his prime?

• Total voters

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Too early for me to tell.
Thread about prime and while maybe MacKinnon could be longer, Yzerman was fully over his prime after his 11th seasons.

For both the first 4 years are not that relevant I think, they both as of now had the exact same prime of 22 to 28

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Thread about prime and while maybe MacKinnon could be longer, Yzerman was fully over his prime after his 11th seasons.

For both the first 4 years are not that relevant I think, they both as of now had the exact same prime of 22 to 28

That’s fair. I replied after reading some of the responses on the first couple of pages that spun off the original thread idea.

No question they have comparable primes at this point. MacKinnon has really fleshed his run over the last couple of years.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Call it nostalgia but I'm taking Yzerman without a 2nd thought.
IMO the game has changed too much since 2005 to make any realistic comparison between them. There's no 2 line pass and less (and lighter) hitting.
But Yzerman still has the highest non 99/66 point finish of any player. Even if league scoring was a little higher, I'll take Yzerman.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Call it nostalgia but I'm taking Yzerman without a 2nd thought.
IMO the game has changed too much since 2005 to make any realistic comparison between them. There's no 2 line pass and less (and lighter) hitting.
But Yzerman still has the highest non 99/66 point finish of any player. Even if league scoring was a little higher, I'll take Yzerman.

A little higher???

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
3.7 to 3.1.
A little higher
That, a lot higher, I have:

(removing expansion team that did not play all the seasons, not sure how to wait in the average if they did play those seasons)
The teams that played all 568 games from 1988 to 1994 scored in average 3.6 goal per games, 1 per game on the powerplay
The teams that played around 535 games from 2018 to 2024 scored in average 3.02 goal per games, 0.6 per game on the powerplay

The #10 best ppg during Yzerman prime was Gilmour-Recchi scoring at a 1.23 ppg pace.
2018-2024 it was Crosby-Marner at 1.16 ppg

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Is the impression amplified by missed games in 1990 and 94:

1987-88 NHL 1.59 (4th)
1988-89 NHL 1.94 (3rd)
1989-90 NHL 1.61 (4th)
1990-91 NHL 1.35 (7th)
1991-92 NHL 1.30 (9th)
1992-93 NHL 1.63 (5th)
1993-94 NHL 1.41 (6th)

versus:
2017-18 NHL 1.31 (2nd)
2018-19 NHL 1.21 (9th)
2019-20 NHL 1.35 (5th)
2020-21 NHL 1.35 (4th)
2021-22 NHL 1.35 (7th)
2022-23 NHL 1.56 (3rd)
2023-24 NHL 1.71 (3rd)

They both had that incredible consistent prime, Mack std:dev on his ppg is a bit lower (3 year a row with the exact same 1.35 is a bit wild), but a bit higher for is ranking, average ranking 5.4 for Yzerman, 4.7 for Mack.

You yzerman finish the year with 78 games and 61 goals, 63 assists, 124 pts, 3 60+goals/125pts+ season in a row would have made him look a bit Lafleureste there.

Well if it is close the player with the consistent game played get the easy win, here.

I'll let Avs fans who've watched MacKinnon more throughout these recent years speak in a more informed sense for him, but for Yzerman, I'll just note that stats/scoring placements aren't at all the best way to judge his season to season consistency, for a few reasons.

Yzerman went through a couple of phases under Demers, the 1986-1988 phase where the team was a very defense focused team, and 1988-1990 which had the wheels come off from the system (though even there 1988-1989 was still half and half). Then under Murray, a remphasis on defense, but also a very deep team at center and a scale back of Yzerman's role offensively. Add to that that injuries basically made Gallant a shell of himself, so quite a few winger experiments (never as stable or as good as Fedorov or Carson at the time) until Ciccarelli arrived for 1992-1993. The Yzerman/Hull and Jordan/Bird article I posted early straight up goes into that factor as the reason that Yzerman's numbers dropped under Murray. Or just this 1991-1992 season recap video:

There's also the interesting case of powerplays and how the Wings split them in the early nineties which I've discussed before in various places. One of the reasons where the stats are simply what they were because of deployment. Given how good the Wings powerplay was in 1992-1993, and how many opportunities they got that year (after almost always being near the bottom in years past), with a more usual deployment, that probably adds 20-30 points right there, above Lemieux 160 to right behind him if you wanna be conservative.

I think Yzerman never played better than in 1992-1993 actually, just that the stats may not be as good because of the depth at center (although after Carson was traded Yzerman was back at a two points a game clip), as well as the way the Wings ran the powerplay, where Yzerman and Fedorov units split the time and didn't play with each other. So with a league leading 113 powerplay goals, Yzerman was only on for a little more than half of them at 61 with 41 points on those. Had he had deployment like many of the other star forwards that year who were on for much more of their powerplay opportunities, he'd probably clock in with 60-70ish powerplay points as a conservative estimate, taking him into the 150+ range again. Only three powerplay points together with Fedorov lol.

(as an aside, exact same thing with Fedorov in 1993-1994)

1993-1994 looks nice stats wise (though take even a superficially deeper look and notice that the goal scoring is gone), and then there's the lower scoring year leaguewide thing that some really dig into, but I'll note that Yzerman played most that year in BAD shape, he didn't even have full range of motion in his arm, couldn't really take faceoffs at times, to the point that he played more on the wing than anytime except maybe his last years from like the 2002 playoffs on. He just got to play with probably the strongest lines he ever was on offensively with a Primeau on the upswing and a Ray Sheppard who finally put it together and hit the back of the net consistently. Got to play a lot more with Fedorov than since his rookie year before (interestingly enough Fedorov started the year on Yzerman's wing, when Yzerman came back, he was initially placed on Fedorov's wing lol).

1993-1994 just just happens to be a year where the Wings had the reins let off them (yes, ironically under Bowman), and so yeah, numbers were good as the team was stacked with talent, team sucked defensively though as compared to the Murray years and the Bowman years to follow.

Lastly, I know MacKinnon missed some time with injuries, I'll just point out that Yzerman had some pretty serious nagging injuries throughout his high scoring years, he just happened to be one of the paramount examples of players who played through them. Probably could have had better rate stats had he sat out more like most players would have.

Compare all of that above with (at least what I perceive to be) the situation of Nate MacKinnon. Same coach throughout the entire period. A player of the caliber of Rantanen as the most consistent linemate. A defenseman like Makar for longer than Yzerman had someone like older Coffey or even young Lidstrom. And the talent beyond the Makar's and Rantanen's. A league context that generally favors stacking lines/units, stacking powerplays, and so on.

This is why it bewildered me at times watching MacKinnon during the Avs 2022 playoff run, how individualistic he was at times. You could make the same knock on Yzerman at times, especially during 1990-1991, but then you look the the situation around both players, seems FAR more understandable to be a helicopter player for Yzerman.

I simply couldn't understand why MacKinnon just decided from time to time to skate furiously into the zone, all the way around the perimiter, cut in above the circles, and fire a shot at the goalie's chest with that world class talent around him...

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I'll let Avs fans who've watched MacKinnon more throughout these recent years speak in a more informed sense for him, but for Yzerman, I'll just note that stats/scoring placements aren't at all the best way to judge his season to season consistency, for a few reasons.

Yzerman went through a couple of phases under Demers, the 1986-1988 phase where the team was a very defense focused team, and 1988-1990 which had the wheels come off from the system (though even there 1988-1989 was still half and half). Then under Murray, a remphasis on defense, but also a very deep team at center and a scale back of Yzerman's role offensively. Add to that that injuries basically made Gallant a shell of himself, so quite a few winger experiments (never as stable or as good as Fedorov or Carson at the time) until Ciccarelli arrived for 1992-1993. The Yzerman/Hull and Jordan/Bird article I posted early straight up goes into that factor as the reason that Yzerman's numbers dropped under Murray. Or just this 1991-1992 season recap video:

There's also the interesting case of powerplays and how the Wings split them in the early nineties which I've discussed before in various places. One of the reasons where the stats are simply what they were because of deployment. Given how good the Wings powerplay was in 1992-1993, and how many opportunities they got that year (after almost always being near the bottom in years past), with a more usual deployment, that probably adds 20-30 points right there, above Lemieux 160 to right behind him if you wanna be conservative.

I think Yzerman never played better than in 1992-1993 actually, just that the stats may not be as good because of the depth at center (although after Carson was traded Yzerman was back at a two points a game clip), as well as the way the Wings ran the powerplay, where Yzerman and Fedorov units split the time and didn't play with each other. So with a league leading 113 powerplay goals, Yzerman was only on for a little more than half of them at 61 with 41 points on those. Had he had deployment like many of the other star forwards that year who were on for much more of their powerplay opportunities, he'd probably clock in with 60-70ish powerplay points as a conservative estimate, taking him into the 150+ range again. Only three powerplay points together with Fedorov lol.

1993-1994 looks nice stats wise (though take even a superficially deeper look and notice that the goal scoring is gone), and then there's the lower scoring year leaguewide thing that some really dig into, but I'll note that Yzerman played most that year in BAD shape, he didn't even have full range of motion in his arm, couldn't really take faceoffs at times, to the point that he played more on the wing than anytime except maybe his last years from like the 2002 playoffs on. He just got to play with probably the strongest lines he ever was on offensively with a Primeau on the upswing and a Ray Sheppard who finally put it together and hit the back of the net consistently. Got to play a lot more with Fedorov than since his rookie year before (interestingly enough Fedorov started the year on Yzerman's wing, when Yzerman came back, he was initially placed on Fedorov's wing lol).

1993-1994 just just happens to be a year where the Wings had the reins let off them (yes, ironically under Bowman), and so yeah, numbers were good as the team was stacked with talent, team sucked defensively though as compared to the Murray years and the Bowman years to follow.

Lastly, I know MacKinnon missed some time with injuries, I'll just point out that Yzerman had some pretty serious nagging injuries throughout his high scoring years, he just happened to be one of the paramount examples of players who played through them. Probably could have had better rate stats had he sat out more like most players would have.

Compare all of that above with (at least what I perceive to be) the situation of Nate MacKinnon. Same coach throughout the entire period. A player of the caliber of Rantanen as the most consistent linemate. A defenseman like Makar for longer than Yzerman had someone like older Coffey or even young Lidstrom. And the talent beyond the Makar's and Rantanen's. A league context that generally favors stacking lines/units, stacking powerplays, and so on.

This is why it bewildered me at times watching MacKinnon during the Avs 2022 playoff run, how individualistic he was at times. You could make the same knock on Yzerman at times, especially during 1990-1991, but then you look the the situation around both players, seems FAR more understandable to be a helicopter player for Yzerman.

I simply couldn't understand why MacKinnon just decided from time to time to skate furiously into the zone, all the way around the perimiter, cut in above the circles, and fire a shot at the goalie's chest with that world class talent around him...

This is a very good post.

A lot of people (even Wings' fans, strangely) seem unaware, or ignore, the success the Wings had around 1987-88 and the changes in the team's system from 1987-88 to 1988-89. You outline this very well.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I chose he's about equal and admittedly it's due to nostalgic vibes and memories I have of young Yzerman coming to the Spectrum and toying with the Flyers. But, feet to the fire, I feel like MacKinnon has the better prime. I also think MacKinnon is more dynamic, powerful, and explosive. Older Stevie was majestic like a fine liquor and we haven't seen Nate in his twilight but prime... I take him.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

This could be a whole chapter of a really good hockey book.

VanIslander

A 20-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Conn Smythe put it best: WHO would you go into an alley with?

He knew ...

But he didn't know Tikkanen, Claude Lemieux, Hasek.

He was not wrong.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
To be clear: the greatest Leaf captain ever according to CONN SMYTHE was George Armstrong, of the Anishinaabe First Nations (and yet he loved Ted Kennedy).

When Smythe wrote his bio, Yzerman wasn't even born, but he said Stevie's hero Howe had more muscle in one arm than most in their body (Conn Smythe knows a little about this - google it).

.... so .... which of Yzerman of MacKinnon gets selected for the alley
Conn Smythe went to war. You guess who.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
To be clear: the greatest Leaf captain ever according to CONN SMYTHE was George Armstrong, of the Anishinaabe First Nations (and yet he loved Ted Kennedy).

When Smythe wrote his bio, Yzerman wasn't even born, but he said Stevie's hero Howe had more muscle in one arm than most in their body (Conn Smythe knows a little about this - google it).

Conn Smythe went to war. You guess who.
I've met MacKinnon and he's pretty jacked, Yzerman is known for his high pain tolerance..... so is the answer Hasek or Forsberg? Maybe Fetisov? I really don't know.

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
MacKinnon looked TERRIBLE when the camera focused on him after a shift during the 2022 playoffs. He would go all out for like 30 seconds all around the perimeter with the usual result of an offensive zone faceoff at best. The he'd go to the bench and furiously study the iPad to see what he could have done better looking both malnourished and sleep deprived with bloodshot computer eyes. Like take it easy bud, it's only hockey lol

I wanted to take the dude out to a Wendys or Mickey Ds or combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell and feed him some real food. It became very clear to me then that the protein synthesis of meat is far superior to chickpeas.

Meanwhile one of Yzerman's calling cards was that he was one of the very few that would be as effective at the end of a shift as the beginning (and he'd take long ass shifts in his early years) due to his pacing and conditioning, that's how he'd kill ya. Detroit is just way rougher of a city than Denver anyway, 100% want him to be one of my boys I take everywhere cause I'm paranoid.

Also nice goal on Hasek right here, Stevie had patience, MacKinnon would run out of space cause his hands and feet move faster than his mind.

Reactions: VanIslander

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
If I’m in a war I don’t want to look over and see any hockey players.

People who say that “want him in my foxhole” nonsense are dorks.
Milt Schmidt was apparently a great officer.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Milt Schmidt was apparently a great officer.
To be clear:

That Canadian boy dropped out of school at age 14 to make shoes to support his family when his father got sick. He later joined the Canadian military in WWII and then had a decade of hockey greatness, despite some still calling him 'Kraut'. He eventually retired and spent over a decade managing the Boston Bruins, famously acquiring Phil Esposito for Pit Martin (a multi-player deal headlined by a slow-footed youth and a powerplay talent).

Milt Schmidt is widely respected as a top-50ish all time talent. It would be quite the exercise to try and name 100 players better!

Scatch and sniff.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad