Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
When I said that, it was with the intention he looks good enough for an extended look. Trust me the longer he stays away from Sully the more at ease I am about any prospect.

Yager starting at wing isn't a bad thing either. You see where he is at with face offs and rotate him in with his right handed shot but otherwise why rush a lad right? Sullivan has him pencilled in to learn as a 4c to add some juice and jam to his sticktoitiveness sammich.

If Yager makes the team, I expect it will be as Sid’s LW…possibly 3C but I doubt they want him to be used in tough defensive spots initially and they already have more than enough bottom six center options….if Yager is good enough and uses his shot well, shows some offensive instincts, AND Sid likes playing with him, he should make the team and it will be there…imo, it’s there or bust…he will not be playing center in the next year or so…I pray he makes the team and that other prospects make the team and Dubas has the foresight to waive/trade vets to make that happen…because god knows the coach will be trying to make a vet-heavy lineup lol

Reactions: Fordy and SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If Yager makes the team, I expect it will be as Sid’s LW…possibly 3C but I doubt they want him to be used in tough defensive spots initially and they already have more than enough bottom six center options….if Yager is good enough and uses his shot well, shows some offensive instincts, AND Sid likes playing with him, he should make the team and it will be there…imo, it’s there or bust…he will not be playing center in the next year or so…I pray he makes the team and that other prospects make the team and Dubas has the foresight to waive/trade vets to make that happen…because god knows the coach will be trying to make a vet-heavy lineup lol

I'm willing to see how things play out in camp but we have such a gaggle of low-impact bottom 6 players: Beau, Hayes, Puustinen, Eller, Nieto, Acciari, Poulin, Lizotte, Puljujarvi, Bemstrom...SOMEONE has to go. That's with a full top 6 as well. Injuries happen yes but I'd much rather be calling up Gruden, Pono, and Koivunen than Bemstrom or Nieto.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm willing to see how things play out in camp but we have such a gaggle of low-impact bottom 6 players: Beau, Hayes, Puustinen, Eller, Nieto, Acciari, Poulin, Lizotte, Puljujarvi, Bemstrom...SOMEONE has to go. That's with a full top 6 as well. Injuries happen yes but I'd much rather be calling up Gruden, Pono, and Koivunen than Bemstrom or Nieto.

Lizotte - Hayes - Beau
Nieto - Eller - Acciari

Waive Puustinen and Poulin.

Get younger Dubas style.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Lizotte - Hayes - Beau
Nieto - Eller - Acciari

Waive Puustinen and Poulin.

Get younger Dubas style.

Why are we even entertaining Nieto when he'll never see a game this season?

Reactions: SEALBound

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
If Yager is one of the 12 best forwards he should make the team. I am totally willing to throw away Acciari and Nieto but Pulju, Hayes, Beau and Lizotte may have something to offer

Reactions: Andy99

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I think it would be surprising if the 3rd best player for his WHL team was one of the best 12 forwards for his NHL team in 1 summer. That assumes lot of growth.

And he’s wasted on the 4th so hed have to be one of the 9 best forwards.
Well, there is a chance but not cause he's good... Cause we're so bad

I'm pretty certain he isn't with the pens next year. Sully ain't gonna play him anyway.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think it would be surprising if the 3rd best player for his WHL team was one of the best 12 forwards for his NHL team in 1 summer. That assumes lot of growth.

And he’s wasted on the 4th so hed have to be one of the 9 best forwards.
Given our lack of shooting talent and finishing in the top nine, I hope he makes it…he doesn’t have to be one of the best overall players, he just has to offer some special offensive skills…of course, we’re talking about Sullivan, who wants a team of plug PKers, so they probably send him back, even if he helps us win lol

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Yeah this may be the worst top six winger group we’ve had since 13-14 to start the season.

It’s worse than that group. I mean shit 13-14 Kunitz is better than every winger on this team. Plus Crosby/Malkin can’t carry wingers around now like they could then.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah the bottom is weak but on the bright side atleast our top 6 winger group is ass.
That's the genius of how this roster is constructed!

"Relatively speaking, the bottom six isn't so bad when you compare it to the top six"

Sullivan continues to play 3D checkers.

Yeah this may be the worst top six winger group we’ve had since 13-14 to start the season.
Don't worry. I'm sure Sid and Geno can turn back the clock and still be 100 point guys no matter who is on the their wings.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It’s worse than that group. I mean shit 13-14 Kunitz is better than every winger on this team. Plus Crosby/Malkin can’t carry wingers around now like they could then.

Sorry I meant 14-15.

We had Dupuis, Comeau, and Hornqvist as the other top six guys. I think I’d take Rust, Rakell, Bunting over them and Kunitz.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I get your sentiment with everyone else, but Lizotte is a pretty high impact bottom 6er IMHO. Did have a down year production wise last season, but his game is quite effective without needing to score a ton. Not saying he's going to be Brandon Tanev 2.0, but he's got fan favorite potential in Pittsburgh.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I get your sentiment with everyone else, but Lizotte is a pretty high impact bottom 6er IMHO. Did have a down year production wise last season, but his game is quite effective without needing to score a ton. Not saying he's going to be Brandon Tanev 2.0, but he's got fan favorite potential in Pittsburgh.
So is Acciari's but Acciari did very little to help us win games last year. Bottom 6 production was an issue last year. If they want any hope of competing, they need production throughout the lineup.

Why are we even entertaining Nieto when he'll never see a game this season?
Dramatic emphasis to bolster my point.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012

Yeah seems smart to put a lad on his off wing in a pressure situation where the line is pure ass defensively and he'll need to cloak that with insane offense.

It's good to keep those expectations low like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad