Player Discussion Erik Brännström - D - Part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
which is funny because Brannstrom was better for us than like 90 percent of the bigger 3rd pair d we've had over the the last 10-15 years.

including Hamonic and JBD.

Of course there are also big players who suck. But that doesn't mean Brannstrom didn't suck, as well.

JBD is small, as well, and puts up zero numbers, which is why I expect his NHL career to be relatively short too.

• Haha
Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Depends in which decade a team is stuck in. So far Ottawa hasn't proven they are in the 2020's. They certainly weren't under Dorion and the recent draft doesn't reveal that they are so it remains to be seen

In the meantime, a team like Boston that has been supposed to go into a rebuild for years valued a guy like Matt Grzelcyk for years for example.

Unless Brannstrom is too greedy (ala Duclair during Covid), he'll get a contract pretty fast
Duclair just signed for $3.5 AAV for 4 years. :)

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Of course there are also big players who suck. But that doesn't mean Brannstrom didn't suck, as well.

JBD is small, as well, and puts up zero numbers, which is why I expect his NHL career to be relatively short too.

i mean if Brannstrom sucks at a 2m salary and below. what does it say about chabot and some of the other players on this roster who consistently display less hockey sense and compete than Brannstrom?

brannstrom on the 3rd pair and being able to play top 4 mins and succeed was the least of our problems.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
i mean if Brannstrom sucks at a 2m salary and below. what does it say about chabot and some of the other players on this roster who consistently display less hockey sense and compete than Brannstrom?

brannstrom on the 3rd pair and being able to play top 4 mins and succeed was the least of our problems.

Chabot also sucked the last couple of years and if it was easy to move off of him, Staios probably would have explored doing so.

Luckily it was easy to move off Brannstrom. We could just walk away. I'll be very surprised if the guy's in the NHL in 2 years.

He'll be great in the Spengler Cup though.

• Haha

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
On the radio this morning, they mentioned that out of the entire draft this weekend, there were only 10 players drafted out of the entire draft that were under 5'10. It's not just a Sens thing, its league wide.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
On the radio this morning, they mentioned that out of the entire draft this weekend, there were only 10 players drafted out of the entire draft that were under 5'10. It's not just a Sens thing, its league wide.
Wasn't it less than that? I thought I saw somewhere that there were more players drafted at 6'7 or taller than there were players under 5'10. Either way, the point remains.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Almost league minimum with a cap strapped team to be a 6/7 guy (alternating with De Haan depending on matchups) is about right for Brannstrom.

I imagine he's a placeholder until the deadline for them.

That $2M deal he got last year was bonkers.

• Haha

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I really do want Brannstrom to succeed.

He's a small offensive defenceman that was asked to play a defensive shutdown role because our idiot GM didn't understand how depth charts work.

I think Ottawa ruined his development in regards to offense, but hopefully he can carve out a career regardless. Worst case, I'm sure he'd be effective in Europe.

Reactions: trentmccleary

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I said it last year, and I'll say it again, Brannstrom should have gotten Hamonic's deal and Hamonic should have been on a 1 year deal.

If the coaches would play the best players Brannstrom would still get 60+ games for us this year.

Still can't believe Dorion gave him 2M.

Shouldn't have commanded anywhere near that, and there should have been no rush to sign him before locking up Pinto.

If he had gotten Hamonic's deal as he should have he'd probably still be a Senator.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Still can't believe Dorion gave him 2M.

Shouldn't have commanded anywhere near that, and there should have been no rush to sign him before locking up Pinto.

If he had gotten Hamonic's deal as he should have he'd probably still be a Senator.
Seriously. If anyone is complaining about the guy not being on the team anymore, this is where the seed was planted. Overpaid casualty.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Man, what a pay cut at this young age. I think he would have been way better off money wise to go to KHL...they would have paid him more for sure.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Dorion overpaid him, so unless he started scoring a lot, he would never have extended here for anything lower.

But this is still annoying given we now have to find a 3rd pairing D better than Brannstrom, which should be easy on paper, but we still need to find another 3RD, unless JBD is thay guy.

Brannchise is going to be solid for Colorado just like he was for us

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
that's a steal

and obviously one of the smarter managements in the league take him.

No, the Senators are smarter! We are going to have 2 of Kleven, JBD and Hamonic FULL TIME instead of having Brannstrom. Let that sink in

Good teams understand modern hockey and that transition plus outchancing the opponent is the key.

These elite teams look for these quality support players that they’ll get for cheap because their previous team was in perpetual rebuild and couldn’t put them in a better position to succeed.

Brannstrom is going to be a valuable contract for them, Avs fans will like him

Seriously, I wish we didn’t sign Perron and just kept Joseph and Brannstrom. I find it quite stupid just to have a declining vet who has no future on the team and will be retired by the time we’re competitive (IF we ever become lol). We could very easily be in a Legwand situation a few months into the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad