Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It's not, but the margin is thin. Many GMs fail doing the same. I wonder what we would be saying about Allvin had execution and luck not been on his side this year? Nearly everything worked out for him. Obviously, it did not for Yzerman.

Maybe he should have just done a straight Hronek for Horvat trade? That probably gets them further along.
Allvin made a bunch of prudent bets on guys like Joshua, Blueger, Suter, Soucy, Cole, etc. Did they work out? Yes. Was part of that + the season success luck? Yes.

But there was also a foreseeable path to success for last season stemming from those moves, and the risk profile of those signings were low, if they didn't work out.

Is that what Yzerman's doing? Uh, no. Copp, Compher, Chiarot, Husso are not the same kinds of bets.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
i don't think the canucks should acquire him. i just don't think he's some atypical nhler when it comes to his behavior and i don't think there's a moral case for not trading for him (or -- if you think there is a moral case -- you should probably stop watching sports altogether)
You think it's typical for a key player on a SC caliber team to go on drug/alcohol fueled benders and get caught with hookers (who may or may not have been trafficked) in their hotel room.....during the NHL playoffs?

This guy completely f***ed over his teammates two years in a row. That's next level bad judgement.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
If you're trading out Hoglander or Podkolzin that adds an additional 1.0-1.1m.

Oh I see, okay, but why would anyone trade a 23 year old Hoglander who’s fast, high skilled, tenacious and a potential 30 goal scorer going forward, for a depth defenceman? Podkolzin sure, hasn’t shown much and hasn’t really progressed, if he reaches his potential he’ll be a bottom 6er at best, could move him for a depth defencemen.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Can people stop suggesting trades involving pods, our top prospects and top draft picks. Without at least explaining how they intend to be cap compliant. We are going to be one questionable team if we trade off all of our picks and top prospects in a very few short years. Because we will have to sign a few free agents, and fill out the rest of the lineup with waiver fodder to stay under the cap. WE have 2 contracts that we are going to have to sign. Demko, and decide if Boeser is worth the money. We will be shortly getting rid of OEL, and the cap will go up , but we are going to be up against the cap me expects.
No.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Oh I see, okay, but why would anyone trade a 23 year old Hoglander who’s fast, high skilled, tenacious and a potential 30 goal scorer going forward, for a depth defenceman? Podkolzin sure, hasn’t shown much and hasn’t really progressed, if he reaches his potential he’ll be a bottom 6er at best, could move him for a depth defencemen.
The only reasons to trade Hogs, IMO, are if you are getting a top 4 PMD out of the deal somehow, or an equivalent young Dman with potential. AND if management thinks he is fool's gold. I don't think he is, but what do I know?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
This situations aren't in common at all, but tell yourself what you like to keep deifying Yzerman. His body of work is not great so far.
His body of work is pretty neat in Tampa.

Mostly his amateur scouting team has failed him in Detroit.

GMs dont amateur scout. They GM.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
WTF? They signed the most coveted international UFA on the market and he had a massive year. Hindsight being 20/20 they should have traded him at the deadline instead of extending him....but the extension was logical at the time given his age, the cap hit and relatively low term and the fact he meshed so well with Pettersson. They took a chance that Tocchet could bring his defensive game up a level and it didn't happen. When it became obvious that was going to be the case they dumped him on a divisional rival.

low cost with asymmetrical upside bets on: Bains, Aman, Joshua, Wolanin, Di Giuseppe...one of which hit jackpot, two have been useful depth pieces and a third has progressed nicely in the AHL.

I'm guessing you're talking specifically about the Mikheyev signing that didn't pan out because he blew his knee out in the first preseason game of year one and still hasn't fully recovered?
- Handling of Doerrie
- Handling of Bruce
- Pearson injury
- Mikheyev injury
- Kuzmenko extension
- Dickinson trade (and handling of his broken hand that only chi medical staff found out about)
- Boeser cancer night benching fubar
- Rutherford hissy fit at the media and subsequent radio silence

Most of these were handwaved here by many posters, for what ever reason.

I'm sure I am forgetting some.

There was not a "silent moment" the first year for the new management.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Allvin made a bunch of prudent bets on guys like Joshua, Blueger, Suter, Soucy, Cole, etc. Did they work out? Yes. Was part of that + the season success luck? Yes.

But there was also a foreseeable path to success for last season stemming from those moves, and the risk profile of those signings were low, if they didn't work out.

Is that what Yzerman's doing? Uh, no. Copp, Compher, Chiarot, Husso are not the same kinds of bets.

They're middling bets that might not provide as much surplus value, but these bets are not going to change the fortunes of a team in a significant sense. It's because Yzerman made these bets without his key positions locked that he has failed, not due to those bets themselves.

It's always been about what he chose to add to, not what he has added in particular.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
You think it's typical for a key player on a SC caliber team to go on drug/alcohol fueled benders and get caught with hookers (who may or may not have been trafficked) in their hotel room.....during the NHL playoffs?

This guy completely f***ed over his teammates two years in a row. That's next level bad judgement.

i'm not endorsing his judgement. again, i don't think the canucks should persue him

i'm saying getting f***ed up and cavorting with strippers and hookers is something nearly every nhl player does

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT

That was status quo for years… ya

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
He's been teasing that one for weeks LOL. Other than that, he offers no insight, no "insidering"
I remember someone saying Braden Schneider.

Possibly Necas in Carolina since they honestly can't sign him and Jarvis and complete their roster anymore.

Cole Sillinger could want out of Columbus and with Fantilli and Lindstrom. A great understudy for Miller.

Seider misses Hronek?

Endless possibilities. Lol.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
- Handling of Doerrie
- Handling of Bruce
- Pearson injury
- Mikheyev injury
- Kuzmenko extension
- Dickinson trade (and handling of his broken hand that only chi medical staff found out about)

Most of this is irrelevant noise and unrelated whatsoever to what was actually being discussed.

Mikheyev wanted to try and play through his injury for as long as he could....the team clearly should have shut him down instead.

Kuzmenko extension was a risk and it didn't work

On balance they have made a lot more good decisions than bad decisions on player personnel and the results bare that out.

beckstreaker07

Jul 2, 2009
The same reason you want to trade Podz and not Hog is why teams would want to trade for Hog and have zero interest in Podz. It's not a video game with an algorithm deciding if a trade will be accepted; Teams have to actually want the player.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
- Handling of Doerrie
- Handling of Bruce
- Pearson injury
- Mikheyev injury
- Kuzmenko extension

Kind of unfair to assume the Doerrie "handling" was on the team, how do we know that she didn't play a part in it? The rest are all fair enough points, I've brought my issues with them as well.

Don't really care about Rutherford going at the media, Gillis and Burke did it too.

Reactions: Chiripa20
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad