Player Discussion Erik Brännström - D - Part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Didn't see many Senators games this year but in looking at Brannstrom's numbers the past two seasons (particularly games played) it appears he has established himself as a solid NHL defenseman.

As a restricted free agent it would seem he is someone Ottawa would want to re-sign.

Yet looking at the various trade rumor threads (and some of the posts here) it appears to be a foregone conclusion that he will be somewhere else soon.

Why?

IMO the move to make would be to trade Chyhrun and extend Brannstrom.

By trading Chychrun, you can maybe get a significant Top-9 forward and/or nice futures, plus you don't get tied to another expensive D-man who fits less than others (Sanderson, Chabot and Zub are the guys we need). Then the cap savings allows to find a natural RHD who would fit the team better.

Keeping Brannstrom is smart because :

- he grew up with the team
- he plays both sides very efficiently
- he excels in transition and recoveries, a nice insurance when Chabot/Sanderson are injured
- won't be expensive yet
- could still raise his value
- very reliable defensively

This reflects Brannstrom game well. Of course he wouldn't maybe shine as much if he was on a 1st pairing but we don't need him to

1719162901714.png

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Brannstrom would do great on a team that already has size throughout their d corps, are looking for a pmd rather than a crease clearing bruiser, can give him 3rd pairing minutes plus pp2 time.

He’s been good here, but just not a great fit given other options we have to really let him play to his strengths. I hope he finds a good opportunity.

Reactions: barriers and DrEasy

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
I expect Brannstrom’s post-Ottawa career to shake out similarly to Peter Regin’s.

He’ll give it a go with another team or two over the next couple of seasons but end up in Europe by 2027 where he’ll enjoy a nice, long career.

A Spengler cup is in his future.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Ottawa-Vegas
To Vegas.. Mark Stone.. heart and soul. Gave them a Cup.
To Ottawa..Brannstrom and 2nd round pick. Pick ends up being Sokolov (a Bust).. Brann is probably going to be bought out and has been a 5,6,7 D man

Montreal-Vegas
To Vegas.. Max. Pacioretty.... injured, old, did nothing. Was gone by the cup wining team
To Montreal.. Nick Suzuki.. their captain, 24 years old. 1st line player (is a 2nd liner on a good team). A second round pick that has been moved and resulted in nothing

Proudest day of my life....

Can we re-hire Pierre D, just for the pleasure of firing him again?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Brannstrom-Chabot : 231 mins, 61.5% xGF%
Brannstrom-Zub : 96 mins, 57.8% xGF%
Brannstrom-Bernard-Docker : 272 mins, 53.3% xGF%
Brannstrom-Kleven : 44 mins, 51.2% xGF%
Brannstrom-Guenette : 16 mins, 50% xGF%
Chychrun-Brannstrom : 146 mins, 46.3% xGF%
Brannstrom-Hamonic : 218 mins, 42.1% xGF%
Sanderson-Brannstrom : 30 mins, 28% xGF%

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Brannstrom is probably closer to a short stint away from returning home than he is to become an everyday guy on a playoff team.

He will get a 1 or 2 year 1M type contract from someone, and then he will end up as a star in the KHL or SHL.

If he was worth 2M+ to another team, he probably would have been moved either at the deadline or by now in the offseason. It wouldn't surprise me if we get nothing for him.

It is disappointing that his early success in the AHL never translated to the NHL.

Reactions: Larionov

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The club has been shopping Brannstrom forever, and there is no market for him. For a guy who was supposed to generate offense he simply doesn't, and his lack of size and physical play make him a poor fit for the third pairing. If we want to remake this roster we absolutely have to move on from guys like Brannstrom and Joseph to change our mix.

As others have said, he will likely sign somewhere on a one year, one million "show me" contract. We'll see what happens to him after that but like others, I see a long career in Europe in his future. Brannstrom will be great in Europe with the bigger ice and less physical play.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He will get a 1 or 2 year 1M type contract from someone, and then he will end up as a star in the KHL or SHL.

If he was worth 2M+ to another team, he probably would have been moved either at the deadline or by now in the offseason. It wouldn't surprise me if we get nothing for him.

It is disappointing that his early success in the AHL never translated to the NHL.
It's almost a certainty now that he won't be qualified - writing is on the wall. Someone could have picked him up for depth at the deadline for a mid-round pick, and no one did. That speaks volumes...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's almost a certainty now that he won't be qualified - writing is on the wall. Someone could have picked him up for depth at the deadline for a mid-round pick, and no one did. That speaks volumes...
Idk if we'd have moved him at the deadline, you need bodies to finish out the year, and both Chabot and Hamonic were injured,

The return wasn't going to be significant so they probably were happy to hold onto him.

All that said, I do feel we will be moving on from him. Kleven looks ready, and fills a different need that we sorely lack.

Reactions: Larionov

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Brannstrom-Chabot : 231 mins, 61.5% xGF%
Brannstrom-Zub : 96 mins, 57.8% xGF%
Brannstrom-Bernard-Docker : 272 mins, 53.3% xGF%
Brannstrom-Kleven : 44 mins, 51.2% xGF%
Brannstrom-Guenette : 16 mins, 50% xGF%
Chychrun-Brannstrom : 146 mins, 46.3% xGF%
Brannstrom-Hamonic : 218 mins, 42.1% xGF%
Sanderson-Brannstrom : 30 mins, 28% xGF%
Brannstrom-Anyone: Overmatched

I’d offer him a 3 x 1.25M as depth and if he refused just moved on.

Reactions: Icelevel

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Brannstrom-Anyone: Overmatched

I’d offer him a 3 x 1.25M as depth and if he refused just moved on.
2-3 years at $1.4 million is what Dorion should've signed him for instead of $2 million. How do other defenders that are in a similar situation, but better than him like Liljegren signing for less with term, meanwhile PD gives him $2 million smh

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Idk if we'd have moved him at the deadline, you need bodies to finish out the year, and both Chabot and Hamonic were injured,

The return wasn't going to be significant so they probably were happy to hold onto him.

All that said, I do feel we will be moving on from him. Kleven looks ready, and fills a different need that we sorely lack.
True, and that is a point that a lot of us forget - post trade deadline, there are still about 20 games to be played, and according to the league rules you do have to show up for them and ice something vaguely resembling an NHL team. (This is why the league limits call ups post trade deadline - otherwise non-contending teams would just finish out the year with an AHL lineup.)

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Brannstrom was some nights one of the only solid guys. Low mistake player. But kleven is about to pass him in effectiveness.

I would very surprised if Kleven is, overall, more effective this year than Brannstrom was last year.

I suspect Brannstrom is gone and I'm fine with that, but I don't think that just plugging in Kleven is the proper solution. If we could get a cheap vet for insurance that would be ideal.

Reactions: bicboi64

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I would very surprised if Kleven is, overall, more effective this year than Brannstrom was last year.

I suspect Brannstrom is gone and I'm fine with that, but I don't think that just plugging in Kleven is the proper solution. If we could get a cheap vet for insurance that would be ideal.
Yeah. Maybe don’t disagree with you

Kleven is more the profile the new team wants tho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad