Erie Otters 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Just how costly were the last 2 games...

We could be "tied" for 5th place in conference standings and instead we are 4 points behind.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Who is the goalie you're starting tonight? Boe Piroski? He's not even listed on your roster on the OHL page

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Who is the goalie you're starting tonight? Boe Piroski? He's not even listed on your roster on the OHL page
He’s a loaner from Flint. I’m not quite sure why we have him starting if Charlie Burns is healthy. I would’ve thought had we needed an emergency goalie, they would call up Dylan Grover unless if he had a prior game?

I know goalies can we borrowed in emergency situations, but I’m not sure what’s going on with Gibby.

It goes to show how management cannot figure out the goaltending situation. Tear Benny to the ground to end his OA season early, to not having a regular backup goalie to start the game.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
He’s a loaner from Flint. I’m not quite sure why we have him starting if Charlie Burns is healthy. I would’ve thought had we needed an emergency goalie, they would call up Dylan Grover unless if he had a prior game?

I know goalies can we borrowed in emergency situations, but I’m not sure what’s going on with Gibby.

It goes to show how management cannot figure out the goaltending situation. Tear Benny to the ground to end his OA season early, to not having a regular backup goalie to start the game.

Crappy drafting/asset management and then lack of development.

All circles back to Dave Brown being a big black hole for our franchise.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Crappy drafting/asset management and then lack of development.

All circles back to Dave Brown being a big black hole for our franchise.
I’ve been saying this for years. Even if we make the playoffs, this has to be his final year.

Acquiring Benny G was the best thing Dave Brown has done this season, but then he ran him to the ground.

Meanwhile we get to watch Lalonde go lights out tonight for Saginaw.

Last edited:

onetimeshot

Apr 21, 2023
Wasn't going to bother to listen tonight's game, but this latest goaltending situation is......intriguing:popcorn:

• Haha
Reactions: Mata

eriefan101

Nov 6, 2023

Heard Gibbons is still very sick

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Heard Gibbons is still very sick
That’s what the broadcast said. I understand Burns can’t play because he’s limited on games allowed, but it’s crazy to play a kid sick.

How many years has our goaltending struggled? Like 7-8 years?

I don’t know off hand, but I’d like to know the last time Erie drafted a goalie and fully developed them on their own to have a .900 SAV % or better.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
That’s what the broadcast said. I understand Burns can’t play because he’s limited on games allowed
Erie is not anywhere near to maxing out cards. Why not just convert Burns to an A card? Is going this route really their best option?

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Erie is not anywhere near to maxing out cards. Why not just convert Burns to an A card? Is going this route really their best option?
I would think that would be the easiest option. I heard it requires buying out his B card which is expensive. I will admit that I don’t know a ton about the card process. Maybe someone who knows more can chime in.

Has to be done by Thursday. Final rosters have to set by February 15th.
We can still hold three goalies, but one needs to be scratched each night?

We’ve never been in this predicament in recent years to need to hold three.

JMCx4

Welcome to: The Dumbing Down Era of HFBoards
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The fan wouldn’t give it up and was belligerent. He made a big scene about it and posted it to Facebook. He was told to stop blowing it and refused to comply.
Couldn't possibly have been as annoying as the din at the Otters' Feb. 1st School Day Game that my wife & I suffered through. But at least the thousands of screaming children only broke public health & safety ordinances. 😖😖

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I would think that would be the easiest option. I heard it requires buying out his B card which is expensive. I will admit that I don’t know a ton about the card process. Maybe someone who knows more can chime in.

We can still hold three goalies, but one needs to be scratched each night?

We’ve never been in this predicament in recent years to need to hold three.
You can have have as many goalies as you want either on A or B cards but you need to have A cards for them and they need to come from your 50 man list. I recall Owen Sound carrying 3 goalies 1 year on A cards. B cards can only play in 9 games but goalies are a little different in that they can back up but it only counts as a game played if they actually play. the game counts even if they only play 1 series. Once any B players regular teams season is done they can play up for an unlimited amount of games. That will start happening soon as most JrB leagues playoffs start soon.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: OttersFan and JMCx4

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Didn’t I just ask this a few weeks ago re : Burns and was basically told we’re nowhere near needing to think about this ??

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
They aren't playing awful...

Goaltending is a huge issue
Niagara punished us on a couple plays and it is 3-0.

I don't know what else to say other than eventually bounces need to go our way.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
You would think the Fimis fight would have given the home side a little jolt, yeah, nada, nothing.

Dave Brown needs to be gone. I realize the slide isn't so much on him, however he did not make any to address team needs and/or better position us for next season, why, because he depleted everything on horrible trades, draft picks, etc.

Yes we will make the playoffs, in all likelihood, however I almost wish we would slide out of 8th into 9th for another draft pick in the first round.

That being said, we need to break this slide as we are not scoring on anyone and sadly without Ben, this team has almost zero confidence when someone else is in.

A positive, Ty Henry was everywhere tonight. Let's hope his maturation and ascent upwards continues as this team tries to find an identity once again.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
You would think the Fimis fight would have given the home side a little jolt, yeah, nada, nothing.

Dave Brown needs to be gone. I realize the slide isn't so much on him, however he did not make any to address team needs and/or better position us for next season, why, because he depleted everything on horrible trades, draft picks, etc.

Yes we will make the playoffs, in all likelihood, however I almost wish we would slide out of 8th into 9th for another draft pick in the first round.

That being said, we need to break this slide as we are not scoring on anyone and sadly without Ben, this team has almost zero confidence when someone else is in.

A positive, Ty Henry was everywhere tonight. Let's hope his maturation and ascent upwards continues as this team tries to find an identity once again.
Every team keeps picking up points, Flint, Sarnia, and Windsor tonight. We have gone 0-8 pts wise the past week. Completely unacceptable. The one goal that was reviewed didn’t cross the line, not that it made a difference in the game. I would’ve like Dave Brown to view it from the box and make the call to the bench for a challenge. The game was gone at that point, but maybe it would’ve spark some momentum.

Dylan Edwards continues to outwork everyone on this team.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
I think you guys will turn it around soon, hopefully fast as 2 points separate 7th seed from 9th. Don’t have picks in the 2nd 3rd or 5th rounds (would have to assume brown makes a pre draft trade).

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I think you guys will turn it around soon, hopefully fast as 2 points separate 7th seed from 9th. Don’t have picks in the 2nd 3rd or 5th rounds (would have to assume brown makes a pre draft trade).

Almost every avid fan in Erie hopes that Brown was gone like 2 - 3 years ago. If he's still here after this season, Jim Waters (owner) will have a serious problem retaining fans/enthusiasm.

First night this season the boo birds were in the stands. We've cycled through 3 head coaches, made some extremely horrific trades, and have a goalie position that has essentially been at a junior level since 2017.

At what point does the owner realize his GM can't build a team for crap and can't find the personnel to develop said kids? I truly feel sorry for the kids the most and the fans second. Dave Brown puts out a 3rd rate product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad