LeBrun: Eric Staal wants to play this season for an American team

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
If you know anything about Eric Staal then it shouldn’t be surprising.

He doesn’t care about winning anymore. He wants to have a nice quiet comfortable family life and not be in a city where there’s media attention on him in anyway.

The thing is he probably still can still play… it’s just that if he’s not in his absolute comfort zone then he sulks and plays like a beer leaguer. So, theoretically if he signs somewhere this year then he should WANT to be there and maybe he will play well. I just don’t think there’s much of a fit for teams that want him and teams he wants to play for.
so what team would want that kindof player?

not many.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Just ecstatic that he isn’t coming back to Montréal. He is one of the worst players I’ve ever seen play. Has nothing left in the tank combined with no effort. Sorry to the fans of the team that actually signs him.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
Played like a corpse in the regular season for the Habs but showed some signs of life in the playoffs like Frankenstein's monster.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
People are saying he was awful in Montreal.

In the regular season, that is true, he was awful.

In the playoffs he was ok, not great, not good, but not awful either. He was ok, and that was as a fourth liner. Just to be fair to him, he did show a little in the playoffs. Over 82 games I wouldn't trust him though.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Just ecstatic that he isn’t coming back to Montréal. He is one of the worst players I’ve ever seen play. Has nothing left in the tank combined with no effort. Sorry to the fans of the team that actually signs him.

I'll always appreciate what he brought in the playoffs with the Habs. When he and Perry with Armia were circling, they were actually hard to beat.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
he had some use for the habs in the playoffs. in an 82 game schedule? he's a 4th line vet who could play 40 games and mentor a team with young C's

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
He’d be a huge add for the Rochester Americans. They could use the vet presence. He’s probably put up similar number to what he did in his prime. On a side note is he still a capable 4th line shut down C?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I know Canes fans said they don't need him but honestly after watching him in Montreal and Stepan in Ottawa I'm not convinced that Eric in Carolina as a 4C/13th forward wouldn't provide some form of positive at some point. Stepan was one of the worst players I've ever seen while in the Sens uni.

Stepan is 31 and looks and plays like he's 41. Haven't seen that hard a drop off since Mike Richards.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I know Canes fans said they don't need him but honestly after watching him in Montreal and Stepan in Ottawa I'm not convinced that Eric in Carolina as a 4C/13th forward wouldn't provide some form of positive at some point. Stepan was one of the worst players I've ever seen while in the Sens uni.

Stepan is 31 and looks and plays like he's 41. Haven't seen that hard a drop off since Mike Richards.

We have enough depth to be just fine if Stepan doesn’t work out. Certainly no need for Staal, who would likely be more of a distraction than anything.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
We have enough depth to be just fine if Stepan doesn’t work out. Certainly no need for Staal, who would likely be more of a distraction than anything.

Why would he be a distraction? He was good enough as a 4c for Montreal to reach the finals. You have his brother as Captain, he won a Cup in Carolina. Seems a feel good type of story line and I personally think you guys are a legit contender. I don't see the downside as an outsider.

It's not like I'm saying give him the "A" on the jersey, although you only have 1 in Slavin unless I'm mistaken. The guys a respected veteran, won everything, not sure what I'm missing here. How do you go wrong offering him a league min/near deal?

He's 1 covid shortened season removed from a 58 point pace season. Granted I'm not expecting any type or point rebound like that buy why not add him at a contract amount that can be fully buried. I'm not seeing this perceived downside. There's almost zero chance he's not better than Stepan and the depth you speak of is unproven players correct, injuries happen, depth gets tested.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad