LeBrun: Eric Staal wants to play this season for an American team

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So strangely specific to want to play for a US based team... you would have thought the Montreal experience would have been a positive Canadian experience going from the worst team in the league to a finals appearance...

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Honestly wish we could find a way to accommodate Eric but the Canes have finally had center depth since acquiring Trocheck, and now Stepan as well. There's just no room for Eric except on the wing where he's never played much or showed he was comfortable, and even then he probably couldn't beat out most of our wingers. I hope he can land in Detroit with Marc and play out his career there while helping their young team.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I literally hate this guy after the showing he had with the Rangers. One of my least favorite players of all time.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
So strangely specific to want to play for a US based team... you would have thought the Montreal experience would have been a positive Canadian experience going from the worst team in the league to a finals appearance...
His family is still in Minnesota, I'm sure the main factor is being able to see them without dealing with the US/Canada border restrictions.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
why?

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
You know its bad for Canada when even former olympians don't wanna play here...

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
You know its bad for Canada when even former olympians don't wanna play here...
I could be wrong but I think Staal family are settled in the US and with the covid and the current border restriction between US/Canada that it would make more sense for him to be able to see them by playing in the US. I don't think it's anything against Canada.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
At this point he should be happy any team shows interest in him. He's been on a noticeable decline.

Reactions: Leafslet

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
My guess would be minn but pitt makes sense but hextall is reluctant to address anything that could temporarily help. Carolina would be another option or Detroit.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I guess he can only be a halfway decent player on Minnesota. He was a rag on the Rangers too.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

If you know anything about Eric Staal then it shouldn’t be surprising.

He doesn’t care about winning anymore. He wants to have a nice quiet comfortable family life and not be in a city where there’s media attention on him in anyway.

The thing is he probably still can still play… it’s just that if he’s not in his absolute comfort zone then he sulks and plays like a beer leaguer. So, theoretically if he signs somewhere this year then he should WANT to be there and maybe he will play well. I just don’t think there’s much of a fit for teams that want him and teams he wants to play for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad